Downton knows something we don't? LHVs coming?

Overtook this earlier. Underrun bar and light position grabbed my interest then saw the kingpin underneath. Are these for a specific off road purpose at Downtons or are longer trucks about to be trialled? Anyone know?

092691E6-CEC2-4DE0-9E32-A9D4916D7DDF.jpeg

Yes I took a Pic while driving my car…shoot me… :unamused:

Can’t see the kingpin you’re on about but the underrun bar is a slide out one. Don’t know why they’d fit it with that unless the length could change.

King pin on the back is or was used at some of the print houses.
Back on to the bay and the loading bay had a grab / 5th wheel that would captur the pie lining the trailer up for a self tip / load for rells of paper on end.
Also some places like the pet food place in Grantham had it for auto load and tip of pallets.
That systems been around 30 odd years

Having worked for this awful company (in my opinion) that looks like one of the trailers that carry’s a Moffat,but it looks newish and that trailer number prefix is unusual for them too,
God if they are trailing longer trucks downtons super duper mega driver trainers will be wetting them selves and will think they are even more special and super now

DJC:
Can’t see the kingpin you’re on about but the underrun bar is a slide out one. Don’t know why they’d fit it with that unless the length could change.

Trust me there is a standard king on under there

Carlsberg at Northampton…

Used trailers that locked onto a dock then the entire load is tipped/loaded by being pushed on or off the trailer.

yourhavingalarf:

Used trailers that locked onto a dock then the entire load is tipped/loaded by being pushed on or off the trailer.

Langdons at Gerber Bridgewater use the same system on the shuttle trailers

nick2008:
Back on to the bay and the loading bay had a grab / 5th wheel that would captur the pie lining the trailer up for a self tip / load for rells of paper on end.
Also some places like the pet food place in Grantham had it for auto load and tip of pallets.

Aylesford newsprint for one.
Loaded there many years ago with a trailer that had a kingpin at the back.

yorkshire terrier:
Having worked for this awful company (in my opinion) that looks like one of the trailers that carry’s a Moffat,but it looks newish and that trailer number prefix is unusual for them too,
God if they are trailing longer trucks downtons super duper mega driver trainers will be wetting them selves and will think they are even more special and super now

Wrong set up for a Moffat

You are correct Luke, they are test trailers.

The rear lenses are tucked into the chassis because they are sick of replacing them. The under run bar has been added because last week 10 agency drivers hooked up to the trailer the wrong way round.

Word has it that they only realised the error when one connected the red airline to his ipod accidently and Elvis blew his mind. (Straight out through his left ear).

nick2008:

I saw a self tip downtown trailer on Thursday [emoji6]it had lost one of its rolls of print paper on the exit slip to westbound Rownhams services and hit a car [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks chaps

switchlogic:
Overtook this earlier. Underrun bar and light position grabbed my interest then saw the kingpin underneath. Are these for a specific off road purpose at Downtons or are longer trucks about to be trialled? Anyone know?

Yes I took a Pic while driving my car…shoot me… :unamused:

Called system trailers luke.Used to tip reels on end at the print factories.Still in use at the Mirror in Watford & daily star at Luton.Same kind of system used at Broxbourne.But all those trailers are in c&h colours still.And are half the height of the one in your pic.As they are all shotgun loads.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

nick2008:

yourhavingalarf:

Langdons at Gerber Bridgewater use the same system on the shuttle trailers

This is my guess ^^ I’m surprised it’s not used more often but you need thin rear pillars on the trailer so pallets can be rolled out 2 abreast.

As said above they are system trailers. We have some at our place and tip reels at a lot of the same places as downtons. It’s a really good system when it works. It can tip a full load of reels in minutes. Shame they aren’t used more often. Maybe if tesco used them we wouldn’t be sat there for hours

They’re crap trailers to use though. I don’t know why they specced them full height?! The Broxbournes in C&H colours are much better to use… well… they would be if they got some TLC!

Denbys have been trying for ages to get longer outfits on the road but have met with fierce opposition from the establishment. I think our current limits are enough for our roads and other road users.

As others have said it’s for the presses they have a joloader system that unloads in about 2 mins that needs to be dead in line also loaded via that at aylesford newsprint look at the back of any old C&H trailer

It looks like a Cargomatic System

Kappa used a similar system loading kraft reels. Like a full shoot in 4 minutes

blue estate:

nick2008:

I saw a self tip downtown trailer on Thursday [emoji6]it had lost one of its rolls of print paper on the exit slip to westbound Rownhams services and hit a car [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:laughing:

I did that run a few times couple of weeks ago for them. Got to the drop only to discover the single strap holding one of them in place sitting on the bed :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

They are stood upright on the trailer