European Residents

I have noticed that several of our contributors are resident on the European mainland.How did this come about?
In my case when I was single and operating my own truck from southern Europe to GB,B ,NL or D I couldn’t help but notice that the freight rates were similar but with a ferry to pay to reach the UK so I decided to rent a place near Zeebrugge rather than live every weekend in my cab.My truck eventually broke down so I got a job with a Belgian outfit ultimately ending up at the Brugge depot of ND powder tankers.Good job with decent pay.Married an English lass there and now married 27 years.
Some guys live and work in France.Was it difficult to get a start?

i think its more difficult in france with licence change overs etc…whereas belgium accept uk ones.as far as i know…but there are a couple who live in france who will be along shortly…but work in our industry.

I think you can stay for 183 days in an EU country before you are obliged to apply for residency and exchange a licence.I lived 12 years in Belgium and used my residents card instead of a passport,and had a Belgian drivers licence too.I would imagine AndrewG and others will have done similar.Best wishes by the way,Andrew and Karla.

Alot s moved to the continent in the 70’s due to better wages and Equipment.I moved to Holland in 1977 and stayed there for 32yrs,except for 2 yrs in Canada.My reason was i was offered better wages to drive to the ME at that time.
I moved up here 10yrs ago as i was looking for somewhere with a better '‘quality of life’'where i could also have a good living standard on my pensions.

After working for severalUK firms until around 92 i picked up some euro work using my old F7 i bought (very) used from Leggets transport Elmswell.Plated to its max of 36.5t (Lucky 7 as it was named on the visor) it did ok but was hard work on the hills. Upgraded the trucks over the years and picked up work from C.E.Tva Malaga who i still sub for. Bought a small apartment and then met the missus, we bought a villa in Nerja where we have been ever since…

Moved (back) to Belgium in '96 having spent 21 years in the UK.

I like the OP also ended up working for ND in Brugge/Bruges depot, but on the tautliner side ('97-'00).

Been over here now 22 years. Married with 3 kids.

As a native Flemish/Dutch speaker, I had no problems with trying to fit in over here.

Hutpik,a better quality of life on your pension,the last time i was in sweden in the 80`s a pint was £7 and had to queue up to get it.no standing …i would have chose a cheaper country if relying on a pension…i am in Bulgaria for the summer…a beer 50p…ciggies £2 same as i smoke in the uk for £10 a meal is a £5 - £10 drinks included… a 2 bed property £30.000, service charge £25 a year…council tax £20…you get my drift…but fair play to ya.

SH101071.JPGHi Truckyboy.Alot has changed since the 80s.Yes there are certain things which are expensive such as alcohol but other things are cheap.You can buy a 3 bed house outside of the Towns [20-50kms]for ±50k.A good meal in a restuarant for £10,a case of beer[½ltrs,5.5% for £30].You have to compare Sweden with the UK or Holland,not Bulgy or Rumo.
I get app £2000 per month [netto]pension so i DO have a fantastic Lifestyle and quality of Life.You also have to calculate the nature,all the things to do summer and Winter which cost very Little but which others have to pay for as an '‘exotic’'holiday.
My cottage cost me £30,000.and it costs about £3000 for the fixed costs such as Electric,insurance,wood council taxes.etc.

Gidders:
I have noticed that several of our contributors are resident on the European mainland.How did this come about?
In my case when I was single and operating my own truck from southern Europe to GB,B ,NL or D I couldn’t help but notice that the freight rates were similar but with a ferry to pay to reach the UK so I decided to rent a place near Zeebrugge rather than live every weekend in my cab.My truck eventually broke down so I got a job with a Belgian outfit ultimately ending up at the Brugge depot of ND powder tankers.Good job with decent pay.Married an English lass there and now married 27 years.
Some guys live and work in France.Was it difficult to get a start?

In Germany can work WITH foreign licence long time.And if drivers do international delivery that he not become to resident because he not stay in any country more than 182 day.

Nice looking place you have there,hutpik.Makes my apartment on the costa blanca look pathetic.I don’t get that much snow though.

Hi Gidders.Thanks,we only get snow for about 6 months so it’s not too bad :laughing: .This summer we’ve probably had it as hot as you nearly,this week it’s been up to 34c,and thats above the Arctic circle.Global warming maybe,although it dropped to -42c in January :open_mouth: .Variety is the spice of Life.

Europe has so many different qualities of life to offer, you just find the one that resonates with you and go for it…It may seem hard to accept initially, but if your heart is in it, it will work.

The UK take on things is very shallow and not at all long term…It is so different in many other areas of the EU…I have a final resting place in Portugal, it is not easy to live there, but it is more rewarding from a community/financial perspective…I can afford to retire15 years before my time in the UK!
I love life and have always hated work.

att:
Europe has so many different qualities of life to offer, you just find the one that resonates with you and go for it…It may seem hard to accept initially, but if your heart is in it, it will work.

The UK take on things is very shallow and not at all long term…It is so different in many other areas of the EU…I have a final resting place in Portugal, it is not easy to live there, but it is more rewarding from a community/financial perspective…I can afford to retire15 years before my time in the UK!

Oh God.You may get your tin hat,making a statement like that!

att:

And we also know portugal is very attractive for the Non payments of tax on your pension for the first 10 years :wink: . I like hutpik live in Sweden and find it no more expensive then living in the UK. in fact at the moment its working out cheaper for me. Although i work for a uk company this is where i come home too. I spend most days outdoors as there is alot of lakes near by and forest etc. Then again in the winter it is cold but theres still alot of things to do

Agreed, when it comes to groceries for example, the big chains in Sweden are on par with the prices in the baltics, post €. Real estate can be had for a joke in rural areas.

milodon:
Agreed, when it comes to groceries for example, the big chains in Sweden are on par with the prices in the baltics, post €. Real estate can be had for a joke in rural areas.

Oh yes. We live in a penthouse apartment overlooking the town that we live in and the cost to rent it including all bills was the same as my mortgage in the uk. Bar in mind in the uk i had to pay bills ontop of that. As you say the larger stores like Willys are cheap enough and for toiletries there a store called Rusta. Also very cheap. Eating out and beer is expensive but like at home you’d only do that once in a while.