Relationships

Hi all, I was sat today with a mate and the topic of relationships came up and being a hgv driver (long hours and nights away), being a single bloke myself looking for a woman in my opinion I said it would take someone special and willing to accept that with this job she would not see me during the week and at the weekends for me I am absolutely knackered and maybe problems would start with her saying ‘I do not see you during the week’ then wanting to do things the weekend and I am feeling knackered so has this job caused issues for yourself or you know mates/family who have had marriage/relationship breakdowns because of being away and long hours?

You need to speak to dipper about spicing it up, or dozy about the peril’s of not getting home on Friday’s.

Must admit I have read some of Dozy’s posts about his Fridays, I am single so at the moment I am fine with everything but I can imagine that if that woman comes along the job could cause an issue but we wait and see, if it happens then she might not want to see me during the week haha but was just a topic i had earlier with a mate

biggriffin:
You need to speak to dipper about spicing it up, or dozy about the peril’s of not getting home on Friday’s.

LOL

Lewy:
Hi all, I was sat today with a mate and the topic of relationships came up and being a hgv driver (long hours and nights away),?

Just dont do nights out simple as that, I as a night driver have the other half complaining I’m home to much.

I do not mind the nights though as it helps pay the mortgage but I am assuming it would take someone very understanding to accept the job I do or maybe she works long hours also, who knows what the future holds, single life is not all bad though, no nagging at all haha

My other half of over forty years knew from the beginning what the job entailed. She has stuck by me through thick and thin, we joke that even with forty years of marriage , in reality we have only been together for probably seventeen years :slight_smile:
Finding the right one from the start is a big help. Many women only see the upside for a few years, then the boredom and lonely nights start to niggle. When you have a young family then you need to spend time with them. the journey work can take a rest until they are older. Its all a balance of minds.

Was lucky to be in a long term stable relationship well before I went back to tramping.
Would be very difficult to start a new relationship now as I’m a one man woman.

It’s hard at times but had a 2 hour coitus marathon last night that hopefully keeps her indoors happy, she will certainly let me know if it doesn’t.
Bit awkward to be fair as the cat was sat on the window ledge watching like an X factor judge all the way through it but I struggled on.

Best advice I can give is to go for quality over quantity, when your home treat your ladies like the princesses that they are.

Doesn’t always work but sometimes all you need to do is be the ear to listen and let them unload on you (ehhhhh so to speak).

Im sure there are ladies out there that love the weekly freedom though.

38 years now from a removal porter to now a tramper. Spent a lot of time with Pickfords over the water as a young father of 2. Missed a lot of the early years then had 8 years self employed home all the time . Kids grown now just the teenager at home ups and downs of life like any. Tramping for the last 11 years . I’d like to think our relationship is as strong as ever with 9 grandchildren we make the most of the time we have and in 5 years the mortgage is paid and we’re laughing. It’s what you make of it I suppose?

28 years,that should say :smiley:

Thought trampers just had casual 1 night relationships around dark industrial estates then buried the evidence.

I have met drivers who sound off about the mega bucks that they earned, and how it all ended up in the deep pockets of divorce lawyers. Remember you need two of them.

Id say the hardest challenge of this job is to put your big rig into tight places a.k.a. social life :smiley: I dont know many great pick up lines but if you want to put your date off just tell her that you`re an hgv driver.

It depends how you reveal your job and what type of person you are, if you look, speak and behave exactly how they expect a trucker to be then you will fall flat on your face, drop it in casually after they’ve already shown an interest and they really won’t care, only the superficial ones will care and you will see the instant change of behaviour and you can walk away. I used to work in banking so i’ve seen how your job can impact how women are with you on meeting but tbh, trucking is a good filter, it’ll get rid of the ones you really don’t need.

However, I found the whole thing almost impossible until I switched to mon-fri days only, I packed in a FULL social life around it and it never held me back with relationships. I moved to Canada though and became a long haul trucker and holy ■■■■, goodbye social life, I still ended up with a relationship though with a girl who really didn’t mind, frustrated but coped, i’m only gone 5-6 days usually.

Remember the job is just that a job a means to an end, the right partner on the other hand is worth way more than any job.

If you meet someone and click she/he will get to know what you do for a living and will accept the time away is part of your job,if not its move on time until you find the right one

There are surely a lot of similarities compared between being a Tramper’s wife and being a Forces wife :confused: :bulb:

alamcculloch:
I have met drivers who sound off about the mega bucks that they earned, and how it all ended up in the deep pockets of divorce lawyers. Remember you need two of them.

The best thing to do if you get a divorce suddenly thrust at you - is chuck the job in, and stay at home on benefits for a while. See how she likes THAT. “More of you about instead of less, and no money to nick”. :stuck_out_tongue:

fuser84:
Id say the hardest challenge of this job is to put your big rig into tight places a.k.a. social life :smiley: I dont know many great pick up lines but if you want to put your date off just tell her that you`re an hgv driver.

i always found the pickup line that would work best was…
excuse me,do you think this rag smells like chloroform■■? :wink:

dieseldog999:

fuser84:

i always found the pickup line that would work best was…
excuse me,do you think this rag smells like chloroform■■? :wink:

Nah… It smells like Meths and Domestos… “You haven’t brought it to the boil yet, you damned fool!” :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

Single 15 years now and it’s how I’ll stay. I’m lucky in so much as I’ve no interest in relationships whatsoever