Scania V8 Engines

In the transport press there are stories regarding the non availability of the infamous V8 engines due to a labour dispute at a supplier,by the tone of the response from Scania they are not expecting this situation to be resolved in the near future and say they are trying to persuade the 2000 V8 customers on the waiting list to accept the 6 cylinder 450 bhp engines,
I believe the foundry where the blocks are made has changed ownership and the new owners presumably are trying to put the bite on VW for more money or to reduce the Woking conditions for the employees,I thought that attitude only prevailed in the U.K.

Gardner6LYT:
In the transport press there are stories regarding the non availability of the infamous V8 engines due to a labour dispute at a supplier,by the tone of the response from Scania they are not expecting this situation to be resolved in the near future and say they are trying to persuade the 2000 V8 customers on the waiting list to accept the 6 cylinder 450 bhp engines,
I have a feeling there is more to this than meets the eye considering the owners of Scania are Volkswagen.

:open_mouth:

It’s supposedly a modular engine with the same basic components used to make it as the 6 cylinder ? probably with the exception of the crankshaft.Although there’s no reason to think that the V8 crank would be made at a different factory than the 6 cylinder cranks.The Krauts must think that people are bleedin stupid.It’s obvious that the thing is a massive threat to German designs and putting it out of the frame would be a no brainer from the Germans’ point of view.While production being stopped supposedly by sub contract component supplies seems to contradict the idea of the so called advantages of in house vertical integration production regardless.

Strike/dispute at the foundry which makes the blocks.

Either means finding a new supplier, or waiting around.

I wonder if people will be fighting over the units sat at places like moodys and a&m.

Hallberg Guss in Leipzig are the ones making the V8 blocks, wonder if the problem is there. Am sure they’ll sort it in the end of demand is such.

Or maybe want to push smaller engine instead , most new ones I see in EU are not V8 , come on Iveco launch the new V8 750 with new cab might give em a run for the money !

short walk:
Hallberg Guss in Leipzig are the ones making the V8 blocks, wonder if the problem is there. Am sure they’ll sort it in the end of demand is such.

Which leaves the question is it the same factories that produce the 6 cylinder blocks and other major engine components.If not why not bearing in mind the claimed ‘modular’ design shared with the 6 cylinder versions and which would defeat the economies of scale object of that. ?. :smiling_imp: :wink:

You’re never late in a V8.
Unless you’re V8 is late.
I’ll get my coat.

Our tang friends in the emerald isle, will be panicking, thinking no more V8, be like taking herion away from addict… :smiley:

Carryfast:

short walk:

Which leaves the question is it the same factories that produce the 6 cylinder blocks and other major engine components.If not why not bearing in mind the claimed ‘modular’ design shared with the 6 cylinder versions and which would defeat the economies of scale object of that. ?. :smiling_imp: :wink:

No I believe the Leipzig factory only make the V8 blocks, the 6 cylinder made at Sodertalje.

short walk:
No I believe the Leipzig factory only make the V8 blocks, the 6 cylinder made at Sodertalje.

:confused: How convenient.

Picture the scene moderate German workers who supposedly never strike calling their Swedish counterparts scabs for not joining them.They couldn’t make it up. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing: