Very quiet on Cat C agency work at the moment

I’ve made myself available to the six agencies I’m registered with since 9/7/18, mentioning that I could take any type of work they could throw at me (nights, weekends, etc), as well as FLT and van work.

I ring them to check for work every day, but there was nothing at all on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. However, I got a text from one of the agencies on Wednesday afternoon, saying if I could cover a shift delivering pork pies from a company in Leeming Bar. So I said I would like to, and the rep at that particular agency said he would give me a buzz on the following morning with a start time. But when it got to 08.00 on that particular morning, I rang him and he said that the client did not get back in touch with him, so he assumed I was no longer needed there.

I’m beginning to wonder whether I have made the right decision to go down the agency route to clock up experience. I know that agencies often get a lot of stick on here, saying that they lie to you, etc.

Maybe, it’s my limited experience (1 day so far) that the agencies seem to be reluctant to give me frequent work during the week.

Do you think it’s too much of a gamble?

It is a gamble, after the incident mentioned in your other post I was faced with the decision of begging my previous employer for my job back or going full time agency for the experience. My old job did offer my hours back but I took the gamble and said thanks but no thanks (with no grudges either side, all friendly).
I did have the benefit of being some months in with my agency though and up till that point I was working most Saturdays for them so knew I would get something. I did also find the work picked up more when I got my class 1.

As you don’t have a lot of work on why not go around all the local industrial estates. Go into the transport offices and tell them you are a new driver and you wondered what agencies they use as you are looking for a start.

One might offer you a job. One might give you a name for a better agency. Or you might waste your time. But it would be more productive than doing nothing.

I am going try yet another agency on Monday, based in Darlington, as the lass who runs it says that she might be able to put me on a tramping job out of an outfit based in the Boro.

With agencies getting the first job with them is the hardest then after that you’ll find its a lot easier and more is offered as they get to know you can drive a truck.

The problem where you are and only having Cat C is Catterick Garrison and Marnham Barracks. Quite a lot of squaddies have CAT C and will do a bit of agency work on the side.

Garbo2018:
I’ve made myself available to the six agencies I’m registered with since 9/7/18, mentioning that I could take any type of work they could throw at me (nights, weekends, etc), as well as FLT and van work.

I ring them to check for work every day, but there was nothing at all on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. However, I got a text from one of the agencies on Wednesday afternoon, saying if I could cover a shift delivering pork pies from a company in Leeming Bar. So I said I would like to, and the rep at that particular agency said he would give me a buzz on the following morning with a start time. But when it got to 08.00 on that particular morning, I rang him and he said that the client did not get back in touch with him, so he assumed I was no longer needed there.

I’m beginning to wonder whether I have made the right decision to go down the agency route to clock up experience. I know that agencies often get a lot of stick on here, saying that they lie to you, etc.

Maybe, it’s my limited experience (1 day so far) that the agencies seem to be reluctant to give me frequent work during the week.

Do you think it’s too much of a gamble?

i think best option try pass to class 1 if money allow.Much more easy found class 1 job for inexperienced drivers in most area.

I’m not on agency, I subcontract to a courier company.

We’ve been deathly quiet this week.

Agency’ll puck up when everyone else goes on holiday.

So much for the driver shortage then, I wish that we could get the word out to all of those guys spending £££££ to gain their very own shiny licence. Make your self known to every agency in your area also the local council, tipper and skip firms are often a good bet too.

Strange.
I´m getting, mebbe, 30 ads a day from various web searches. All for Cat C. Some are good, some are bad, but they ARE jobs.

According to bod in t.o who wasn’t very happy he’d been instructed to cancel agency that he’d arranged , also spent 1/2 the day sorting out new company driver and had been told to cancel him as well , I just wanted to go home so no idea if cancelled for day / week etc , if your agency you should expect to be cancelled but I’d not be happy if I’d taken a new full time job and then got a phone call saying your start is cancelled , though it could of been a case of putting back for a day / two

Garbo2018:
…she might be able to put me on a tramping job out of an outfit based in the Boro.

Honestly wouldnt think they’d put someone with 1 days experience on a tramping job (wouldnt recommend taking it either). Really you need a bit if experience before being dumped out there on your own as theres absolutely loads to learn initially.

Have noticed in the pallet world theres a serious drop in stuff moving this past week. All our big contracts are sending a lot less stuff out.

No idea why, maybe factories shutting down for maintainance, but that will affect agency work too but expect it to pick up soon. These things go in blips.

Would agree for proper jobs, skip companies are prob a good start as they constantly need new workers.

alamcculloch:
So much for the driver shortage then, I wish that we could get the word out to all of those guys spending £££££ to gain their very own shiny licence. Make your self known to every agency in your area also the local council, tipper and skip firms are often a good bet too.

Why?

In some places there is not a lot of work. In some places there is loads.

In my area I could work every day of the week if I want. My agency want me to do a HIAB course where they are paying most of the cost so I can do more work. I can pick and chose what type of work I do. I can also pick and chose where I work.

If anyone is really struggling to get work - come to the midlands. Rent a bedsit. I’ll meet up with you, we can have a pint and I can guarantee I could call my agencies and get you signed up and in work the next day. Even as a new pass with no experience.

Ive never understood the replies on here from guys looking for experience who get told “get onto the agencies”.
In my experience, agency work is non-existent if you have no experience. Clients want a driver who can get thrown a set of keys and get on with it

The-Snowman:
Ive never understood the replies on here from guys looking for experience who get told “get onto the agencies”.
In my experience, agency work is non-existent if you have no experience. Clients want a driver who can get thrown a set of keys and get on with it

It worked/works for me.

Some clients will be picky. But if they can’t get a driver and the truck needs to go to earn money what to they do? Common sense says offer more money… But haulage is full of cheapskates and they’d rather send out a Sammym to crash the brand new volvo on his first shift than pay £2/hour more for a highly skilled bloke to do the job.

You also have the problem of not knowing who had experience or not. Loads of lads I know from the army have held their class 2 a few years and never used it. They’d be just as dangerous as me with a two-week old licence.

Had no issues getting agency work myself with no experience but I live in an area where there’s a very busy motorway corridor full of places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sammym:

alamcculloch:

Why?

In some places there is not a lot of work. In some places there is loads.

In my area I could work every day of the week if I want. My agency want me to do a HIAB course where they are paying most of the cost so I can do more work. I can pick and chose what type of work I do. I can also pick and chose where I work.

If anyone is really struggling to get work - come to the midlands. Rent a bedsit. I’ll meet up with you, we can have a pint and I can guarantee I could call my agencies and get you signed up and in work the next day. Even as a new pass with no experience.

I think location plays a big part. We’re lucky in the Midlands to have lots of industry and easy access to several motorways. Its a logical area for transport to operate from.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

As this is a National Forum what is good advice in one part of the Country may not apply elsewhere.I was offered a start with an agency after being turned down for a few jobs because I had no experience. That was about 25 years ago and the situation hasn’t changed in my neck of the woods, Perthshire.

I look on Indeed within 15 miles of where I live, and there are quite a few jobs both agency and full time, but they’re regular advertisers which ring alarm bells for me. I also wont entertain agencies so I’m stuck on roro work for the time being.

I live between stoke and Birmingham. I’ve had my class 1 since October last year and class 2 8 months previous to that. I’ve been on agency since I passed class 2 and did some van work for a few months before that. Never failed to find work. When I first passed my class one I couldn’t reverse for toffee, I was shocking but I still never missed a day, agency’s got me in all over the place and I taught myself to reverse in 3 months lol. Now I get 2 phone calls a week sometimes every day offering me work in all areas of class 1. I take home between £550-£650 every week on limited company. I’ve signed up with about 20 agencies from Birmingham through to Crewe. Just put yourself out there, talk a good job and work hard, it will come to you

I’m actually fully booked for next week. One ADR job, and delivering paint in a LWB Sprinter from a decorator’s merchants in Darlington for the other four days.