Sat Nav

Recommended HGV sat navs please.

Tried sygic and copilot on android but has no live traffic. Some people recommend Garmin 770 LMT, and some people said they’re crap.

Whats your experience please.

Cheers

Waste of 300 quid or whatever the cost is. Google does traffic info. You can get a sat nav for about 50 quid on eBay.

I got one from ebay (NAVPAL), but the battery would’nt hold its charge, my mate also got one from amazon (NAVMAN) same problem with the battery. I only ask because i was using google maps today (after the ■■■■ NAVPAL let me down) in Hull and despite the traffic data which is what i wanted i was sent down stupid roads unfit for trucks, no signs anywhere regarding restrictions.

I need something to help me along :smiley:

Simple - Tomtom 6000 or 6200 if same price.

Wont stop you going down daft roads, but at least you can blame the sat nav when you’re stuck in a one way street and the papers ask for a quote. :slight_smile:

It will help you avoid roads with low bridges and weight limits down roads where the council dont bother putting up a sign until 20 yards before the restriction.

I run Google maps on my phone alongside a cheapo xgody truck nav. Wouldnt solely use the latter as the screen qualities crap but it picks up most restrictions. So I follow Google (best for live traffic imo) until a turn/road looks a bit iffy , and if my truck nav offers an alternative I follow that until Google maps picks up on my diversion.

Tend to Ignore cheap sat navs when you get within a mile of destination though, as they dont recognise weight limits that are “except for access” and will send you round in circles to avoid. Actually, interested if proper truck navs recognise access in regards to weight limits??

I’ve got the Tom Tom 6200 or whatever it is. The latest one. Honestly it’s well worth the money and has never let me down but as always don’t just rely on it and use other means to cross reference a route

I haven’t used a sat nav for over 3yrs now. I type the postcode into Google maps to find the exact location then find the best route using my map book. I know sat navs can make the job easier and when I broke mine I thought I would struggle so I was only planning to use the book temporarily but it’s surprising how easy it is once you get used to doing it.
I had a snooper 8500 (I think) before and it was good and had TV built in which was handy when parked up but it wasn’t cheap.

vikingpete:
Waste of 300 quid or whatever the cost is. Google does traffic info. You can get a sat nav for about 50 quid on eBay.

Yes, Google does traffic info. Problem being that e.g. when Google identifies delays on M1 at J11 when you’re already at J13 the “obvious” route that Google suggests to avoid the problem takes you through a couple of 7.5T weight limits. This is all fine and dandy when you are already familiar with those particular restrictions so you know to ignore the suggested route, but the same applies time and time again all over our weight/height/width restricted road network. With the best will in the world, it’s simply not practicable (or even legal, on Motorways) to pull over and check your trusty Trucker Atlas every time Google detects a significant change in the traffic situation and suggests an alternative route.

toonsy:
I’ve got the Tom Tom 6200 or whatever it is. The latest one. Honestly it’s well worth the money and has never let me down but as always don’t just rely on it and use other means to cross reference a route

^^^^^This^^^^^ Not let me down in UK or Europe :exclamation:

Alfa1M:
Actually, interested if proper truck navs recognise access in regards to weight limits??

No they don’t…cos they can’t read traffic signs…mind you a lot of drivers can’t either, or choose to ignore them :open_mouth:

toonsy:

yes any of these , and you can’t go wrong

tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/tr … ductLineup

phone them up , say you are replacing your truck sat nav and they give you 25% discount

The traffic info is unbelievable , so accurate , with the distance to the congestion , and how many minutes you will be stuck in it

It will also suggest an alternative truck route to your destination that is quicker

its your choice then , sit in the jam that you are approaching , or avoid it before you get to it

villa:

toonsy:

yes any of these , and you can’t go wrong

tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/tr … ductLineup

phone them up , say you are replacing your truck sat nav and they give you 25% discount

The traffic info is unbelievable , so accurate , with the distance to the congestion , and how many minutes you will be stuck in it

It will also suggest an alternative truck route to your destination that is quicker

its your choice then , sit in the jam that you are approaching , or avoid it before you get to it

Yep it’s the traffic info that makes it worth it plus over the year that I’ve had it I know that if it suggests an alternative route I can pretty much be sure it’s suitable for my trailer etc although obviously I don’t just blindly follow it.

Take yesterday I was heading to Canterbury and the gantries were saying 1hr plus delays at the end of the M2 due to an accident so my satnav offered alternatives but as there was delays and it’s Kent and there’s not too many parking spots I pulled into Medway (or Farthing Corner in old money) for a break because I was due one sort of anyway.

So break over off I go after checking out an alternative running through Sittingbourne which is rammed but is still much quicker than sitting on the M2. I get a couple of islands into Sittingbourne and my satnav offers another alternative going back to the M2 so I checked the radio traffic and they said it’s reopening, so back I went and got through with just a 15 minute delay.

I know people are down on satnavs but I’m very wary of technology anyway (I still won’t use a contactless card :laughing:) and it’s won me over. But then I mostly know roughly where Im going anyway, I also use Google and a truckers atlas and I still use A to Z maps because they all have their uses.

A to Z/Truckers Atlas for a full overview of route and to see what’s around me.

Google maps normally to suss out the drop.

Put info into satnav and change route if required say for instance if coming along a road from a particular direction makes getting into a drop easier I’ll drop.a pin so the satnav feeds me that way. Job done.

It’s about using technology to your advantage and before anyone says anything I used to do multi drop in Central London with just an A to Z so I can do it hard-core :laughing:

One tip for the OP is to shop around. Obviously. Certainly with a Tom Tom you may find it say £50 cheaper at one place but the more expensive one of the sane model comes with lifetime traffic so over the course of the life of the device it works out cheaper as you don’t have to renew traffic services annually.

toonsy:
One tip for the OP is to shop around. Obviously. Certainly with a Tom Tom you may find it say £50 cheaper at one place but the more expensive one of the sane model comes with lifetime traffic so over the course of the life of the device it works out cheaper as you don’t have to renew traffic services annually.

Depends on how long you keep the device.

My logic is that it’s a tool that is used and sometimes abused. It’s thrown in and out of my bag and won’t last forever. I ended up saving about £100 by not having the lifetime traffic with the 6200 rather than the 6250. And if I keep it for more than 4 years I’ll lose out. But I’d be very shocked/impressed if I was still on this model then. Tech doesn’t stand still even if the device is still working.

I ended up getting the 6200 for £270 at halfords sod it!

See how it goes Monday as I’m all over the place.

Thanks all for your input [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Biglew74:

You won’t regret it.

Connect it to wifi over the weekend and let it update. It will make a difference come monday morning. Other nice thing is that it will just then update automatically when you come home if you turn it on.

sammym:

Biglew74:

You won’t regret it.

Connect it to wifi over the weekend and let it update. It will make a difference come monday morning. Other nice thing is that it will just then update automatically when you come home if you turn it on.

Cheers mate

I have one of those very tomtom truck 6000’s which many of us bought. Once setup with the height/weights it’s been great. Only in the early days did I (it) make a mistake, as I inputted one of the axil weights as 18T and it tried to send me down a weight limit road, so upped the number to 26 and it’s been faultless since

How do you set the height /width of the truck on the 6200 mate? Can’t seem to find it

I use this, only downside, all hgv satnavs do the same thing, if you put truck height at 13’9, it will send you towards a 13’9 bridge,
The road closures are very accurate,also
t
he traffic on the Tom Tom is excellent, the rerouteing to avoid traffic is good, you just need to work out is the 5mins saved on the diversion, worth it, or is it better to sit with the que…and it uses hardly any data for the traffic, I do all my updates when at home.it also needs a minimum of a 4gb micro SD card.

argos.co.uk/product/7309546? … gJXTvD_BwE a

I can’t seem to find the option to put in the truck specifics…

Help me out please