Failed driving assessment today (13/07/18)

After almost one entire week of nothing from the agencies that I’m registered with after leaving my full time job last Friday after a paid trail shift through one of them a fortnight before (took the gamble after getting extremely fed of it and a very low esteem :frowning: :cry:. ) I rang one of them today and they said there maybe be a day’s work from a well known outfit based in Newton Aycliffe (the one with silver trucks) on a Palletline contract through their Darlington office. So I obliged and hot footed it there for a 12.30pm start.

When I arrived at their yard, the TM took photocopies of my cards (driving licence, DQC, etc), and then went back to his desk at the back of the office, just out of earshot. Whilst he was on the phone, he mumbled something about an assessment, so I thought that they were going to send someone with me to assess my driving before sending me out on my run, and this was indeed the case. Once more, the assessor was the fleet engineer.

After being handed the keys to a 13 plate Mercedes Actros 18 tonner with a straight 6 manual (no splitter), I did the usual walk-around checks, and the assessor said just drive out of the yard and then turn right into a building site for one of their new warehouses about 50 yards down the road, so I could get used to the gearbox. After doing a simple reversing exercise, he said that wasn’t enough for him, so he wanted me to do a circuit around the industrial estate, assuming that he wanted to see me use all the gears properly and how I drove generally.

After we returned to the yard, he asked me to drive into the warehouse to await further instructions. So, afer waiting about 5 minutes, the TM walked up me and he mentioned that the assessor was not happy with the way I was changing gear, and therefore
I wasn’t going out on my booked run today :cry:, and got sent home afterwards :cry:.

I felt like that I was already mastering the 'box very well, and also drove very carefully during the assement drive, but apparently my driving was not up to their standards. And also, I’ve heard they have a very strict training regime, and their full timers have to be trained their MD’s way.

I’m feeling really gutted after today’s experience and I’m worried about it tarnishing my reputation with the agency who offered me that job.

Make sure you got your timesheet signed and you get paid for 8 hours.

Sounds like an excuse to send you home. If the wagon had to go out you’d have gone out. Maybe they overbooked. I’ve been handed the keys to artics before when it needed to go out… Even with a large company where you are meant to have done an assessment. No way were they leaving a wagon with pallets on it in the yard.

Also sounds like a bit of a joke if I’m honest - what sort of crappy outfit is running a fleet of manuals now anyway? Sounds like kit fit for the scrapyard.

If It is who I think it is they’ve been looking for drivers on nights for ages. This could be Why. They pay decent and their wagons are decent too. If what you say is true about how they want things done then this could be why they’re still looking

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

It was actually a Class 2 multidrop job.

Still, it was a strange time to start a shift.

Not much help in this case.But I can remember taking one of our workshop fitters out to a depot with the old Clydesdale on the council and as usual making a brilliant impression of a Hewland box with the Turner constant mesh.When we arrived and he got out his only words were zb hell it’s supposed to be a truck not a racing car and he mean’t it as a compliment.:smiley:

On that note you should have asked him what he wanted.Double de clutched sequential down shifts or brakes to slow gears to go block changes and does he actually know the difference.While if it was me and he’d said the latter he’d still have got the former and zb his assessment. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Have you considered getting your truck licence?

SuperMultiBlue:
Have you considered getting your truck licence?

I’ve already got my Catergory C licence.

Unless you mean C+E?

Sounds utterly bizarre as never had an assessment with an agency job except Coop but that was so i could go on pretty much permanent. Left agency jobs shortly afterwards.

Sounds fishy - maybe a way they think they can get out of paying agency if “not suitable” although not sure that’ll be in the contract. Wouldnt worry about rep with agency, you have a pulse so they happy. :slight_smile:

Some places seem to be really strict. I interviewed with a place, did the driving assesment At one depot and they were happy to take me. So I left my full time permanent job with two weeks notice and started at a different depot closer to where I lived. On day two thy then decided I didn’t have enough experience and sent home!
Brutal at the time but I went to agency and if thy didn’t contact me then I’d contact them everyday asking if there was work, managed a month like that and I’m now in a full time job with a much nicer firm who worked with me on anything I needed help with.

Keep going, some places are strict but some will give you a chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Valentine75:
Some places seem to be really strict. I interviewed with a place, did the driving assesment At one depot and they were happy to take me. So I left my full time permanent job with two weeks notice and started at a different depot closer to where I lived. On day two thy then decided I didn’t have enough experience and sent home!
Brutal at the time but I went to agency and if thy didn’t contact me then I’d contact them everyday asking if there was work, managed a month like that and I’m now in a full time job with a much nicer firm who worked with me on anything I needed help with.

Must have been extremely soul destroying on that day when you were sent home :cry:.

At my old job, the “Blue-Chip” firm who runs the yard requires all agency lads and lasses to undertake an assessment before being let loose on their kit.

Garbo2018:

Valentine75:

Must have been extremely soul destroying on that day when you were sent home :cry:.

At my old job, the “Blue-Chip” firm who runs the yard requires all agency lads and lasses to undertake an assessment before being let loose on their kit.

Yes it was, but nearly two months later I see it as a lucky escape. The ironic thing is between that company and the company I left my permanent job for (also a blue chip and wouldn’t take me on for driving) I am now doing work for them via the haulage company I am with now.

I’ve just realised it’s Friday the 13th today :exclamation: So that might be one of reasons why I failed my assessment.

Is it worth ringing up the company on Monday to complain about the feedback from the “assessor” (even though the work was through the agency)? I felt like that the assessment drive wasn’t long enough (about 10 minutes at the very most) for me to get comfortable with the vehicle. He also told me at one point to put my foot down when coming out of a junction.

Honestly I’d just take it on the chin mate rather than complain to the company about it. It’s an agency job not a permanent one you’ve missed out on so there’ll be another one along soon enough.

I’ve had 2 assessments in the past 5 weeks and both have been completely different. To be honest I wouldnt worry About it and I certainly wouldn’t let it get to you. As said let it be and look forward to the next one.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Were you keeping it in the green band?

Apart from that, can’t really see what you could be doing so badly wrong with a straight 6 box. Sounds like a load of ■■■■■■■■ to me. I’d be happy out of there.