The other side of bridge bashing

I saw a post on here the other day about the double decker bus that hit the bridge in Bradford.

The reply (here and and social media) were the normal rasist, ill informed drivel.

Well I have it on very good authority that the white, British, middle aged driver has been off sick for some time with stress.

By all accounts the driver, who was not arrested showed the investigating officer 2 text messages.

The first was worded to the effect that the doctor gave another months sick note with a veiw to looking at getting him back to work in August. It was sent to his management.

The management’s reply was worded to the effect that if he didn’t cover his duty he would be sacked.

All ‘hear say’ I must stress. :wink:

I must re read the original post because I don’t remember seeing any racism [emoji53]

marlow:
I saw a post on here the other day about the double decker bus that hit the bridge in Bradford.

The reply (here and and social media) were the normal rasist, ill informed drivel.

Well I have it on very good authority that the white, British, middle aged driver has been off sick for some time with stress.

By all accounts the driver, who was not arrested showed the investigating officer 2 text messages.

The first was worded to the effect that the doctor gave another months sick note with a veiw to looking at getting him back to work in August. It was sent to his management.

The management’s reply was worded to the effect that if he didn’t cover his duty he would be sacked.

Ignoring a doctors advice is not the wisest of things to do. If he was threatened with dismissal then he should have sought legal advice and not risked having an accident.

nomiS36:
I must re read the original post because I don’t remember seeing any racism [emoji53]

Sorry I didn’t mean to mislead. That may well have been on social media. However I question the title which as I recall was ‘only in Bradford’

Just found it. Title was “meanwhile in Bradford”

marlow:

nomiS36:

Sorry I didn’t mean to mislead. That may well have been on social media. However I question the title which as I recall was ‘only in Bradford’

May I ask as to why that bothers you so much? Have you perhaps suffered racism or are you happy to be offended on behalf of others?

Meanwhile in Bradford
r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ … are_type=t

Re read it. No racism here unless you count somebody’s joke post about agency flip flop?

No Nomi, I have neither received racism or been offended. Neither have I ever hit a bridge (just in case that’s your next question)

My point was simple. I hate to see the working man go head to head with the working man.

So far this post has proved my point. ‘If’ the hear say is true then it’s a clear case of management bullying. As a driver of 30 years I’ve seen it so many times.

My first reaction to the original incident was the driver forgot for a split second and thought he was on a single decker. Maybe that’s just my humanity showing through. I’m amazed no one has picked up on the implications of this.

I’m old enough to remember when drivers looked out for each other.
Although you think you don’t know me I’m that driver that will get off his arse and watch you in on a blindside rather than film it for you tube when you hit something. Remember them days?

Now at the risk of being ‘offensive’ can we get back on topic?

marlow:
Now at the risk of being ‘offensive’ can we get back on topic?

Sure,what exactly the topics though?’

marlow:

Well he’s in the wrong job then isn’t he if he can’t cope with a bit of stress :unamused: . Stress isn’t an illness either. I’d sack the useless [zb] too. Playing the straw man, I’m sure you’d be leaping to his defence if it had been your kid sat in the front top seat when the roof got sliced off.

So how does stress, make you drive under a bridge which is clearly to low to fit under.

If said stressed driver was at home would he try to walk thro a Closed door

nomiS36:

First reply to it. Typical racist bigot chimed in with the only comment they’re able to muster with their pea sized brain - “Agency, flip flop”.

Conor:

nomiS36:

First reply to it. Typical racist bigot chimed in with the only comment they’re able to muster with their pea sized brain - “Agency, flip flop”.

You don’t see it as a tongue in cheek joke then? I did/do.

biggriffin:
So how does stress, make you drive under a bridge which is clearly to low to fit under.

when you’ve suffered from a mental health issue that’s made you do something ■■■■■■■ stupid then you will be in a position to make such a statement, which you wont, because you’ll realise how moronic it is.

stress bad enough for a doctor to sign you off completely screws with your thought process, your logical reasoning goes out the window and judgement disappears. you can get irrationally angry, or burst into tears for no reason, you can misjudge simple tasks that you should be able to do in your sleep. oh and speaking of sleep, you wont be getting much.

i can speak from experience. i agree the guy shouldn’t have been driving, but as i said, logic goes out of the window when you’re ill like that, so he made the wrong choice…

IF what is stated in the OP is true, i cant help but feel sorry from the guy, and i certainly don’t blame him.

I know from first hand how stress can affect.Many years ago whilst working for an Int temp controlled transport co in Holland i had a ‘burn out’’ if one can decribe the situation so.I was told go home and do nothing for 3 months.Now this was difficult,having an old fashioned mentality,‘‘i’m ok just need a couple of Days off’’.After i had almost blown up the house by putting pan on the gas,turning it on but not lighting it,then putting the coffee machine on but forgetting to put water in so it melted and burst into flames[thank god my wife was with me].Then i realised that i had a problem.

I was once signed off for 6 weeks back in 2005 with stress and depression for something in my personal life. During that time I drove my car locally, and ran 2 red lights - I’d never done that before, and never done it since. Luckily no accidents occured. Another symptom I remember, was that I’d be on a road I’d driven down 500 times before, but wouldn’t feel any sense of familiarity with it, and felt as if I’d not been there before. The way it impacted me was very strange and unsettling. I definitely wasn’t fit to drive an HGV of a night time. The reason I decided to get signed off was because I had my first ever panic attack whilst overtaking an artic in my fully freighted artic on the M40 - it was frightening. Real stress is without doubt very harmful to one’s body and mind.

biggriffin:

If you’ve never been there, there’s little point in trying to explain it. But essentially, if the organ that makes all those “common sense” decisions (i.e. what is commonly referred to as the brain) without conscious effort is borked, then the outcome of said decisions is going to be illogical at best. Walking through a closed door is unlikely as primeval self-preservation reactions come into play - e.g. the immediate reaction to duck or flinch before something hits you/you hit something. Add to the mix the fact that whatever is at the root of the stress will be preoccupying the sufferer’s logical thought processes anyway, along with inadequate sleep and you have a recipe for all sorts of dodgy decisions.

Meanwhile in Sodor…

Someone needs to get an up-to-date max headroom map for the bridges…

I was just about to accuse some one of photo shopping when I had a closer look at the picture, made me smile. These are new glasses :unamused: