Anyone know?

I’ve noticed, in this hot weather, a lot of foreign drivers leaving the bonnet up…what’s this all about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helps dissipate the heat from the engine, don’t forget you are sitting on top of it…HTH

It lets the heat escape easier/quicker from between the engine and cab when parked up, trying to keep inside the cab a bit cooler.

Makes sense. Why don’t the Brits do it? I’m gonna start!

frankspencer:
Makes sense. Why don’t the Brits do it? I’m gonna start!

me and some of my work mates do

Ive been doing it! Only the lazy who CBA to put some clothes back on and get out to close it don’t do it I think [emoji23]

Not a good idea leaving it open all night then?

People steal anything these days…radiator cap anyone■■?

Ah…didn’t think of that. [emoji106]

I used to think look at those lucky beggars from my magnum, the only down side when working Italy with it.

Every time I’ve seen it done they’ve been using the bonnet as some sort of clothes airer/washing line.

Roymondo:
Every time I’ve seen it done they’ve been using the bonnet as some sort of clothes airer/washing line.

[emoji38]

Roymondo:

Also on Scania’s I thought they open the bonnet for shade whilst they sit on the lower panel (The bit you fold down to stand on to change wiper blades :laughing: )

mrginge:

Roymondo:

Also on Scania’s I thought they open the bonnet for shade whilst they sit on the lower panel (The bit you fold down to stand on to change wiper blades :laughing: )

And have all the dead flies dropping into your cuppa :laughing:

I can see the idea behind getting fresh air circulating but will it make that much difference?
Grills are designed to let air through to get to the radiators. theyre not a barrier to air flow. Older trucks may have had tin floors, but engines now have noise insulation over them (which doubles as thermal barrier) and cab floors have thicker coverings. Cant say Ive noticed much heating effect from a hot engine on a cold night. Doesnt feel warm when you put your hand on the floor does it?
Harmless enough to do it of course, provided you aren`t parked close enough that someone takes it off with a trailer sideswipe in the dark.

Franglais:
I can see the idea behind getting fresh air circulating but will it make that much difference?
Grills are designed to let air through to get to the radiators. theyre not a barrier to air flow. Older trucks may have had tin floors, but engines now have noise insulation over them (which doubles as thermal barrier) and cab floors have thicker coverings. Cant say Ive noticed much heating effect from a hot engine on a cold night. Doesnt feel warm when you put your hand on the floor does it?
Harmless enough to do it of course, provided you aren`t parked close enough that someone takes it off with a trailer sideswipe in the dark.

TBH I don’t think airflow is part of the design. On all the lorries I’ve driven the airflow for the radiators goes through grilles in the bumper. The “bonnet” is just an inspection cover with air flowing through it only to get into the cab ventilation/heating system.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It does seem to make a difference to how long it takes for the heat to stop seeping up into the cab. According to my very unscientific testing :laughing:

Having the doors open 1 stop also helps dissipate the heat that comes up from the foot wells.

Truck design probably plays a part too. My DAF never used to give off nearly as much heat as this Scania does. The floor of the cab is noticeably warm in bare feet and you can really feel it cooking you in the cab!

slowlane:
It does seem to make a difference to how long it takes for the heat to stop seeping up into the cab. According to my very unscientific testing :laughing:

Having the doors open 1 stop also helps dissipate the heat that comes up from the foot wells.

Truck design probably plays a part too. My DAF never used to give off nearly as much heat as this Scania does. The floor of the cab is noticeably warm in bare feet and you can really feel it cooking you in the cab!

Is it a Euro 6? They produce far more heat than previous versions.

My Volvo FM floor gets fairly warm. I always open the Bonnet once parked if on a rare night out in the heat. Definatley lets the heat from the engine disperse quicker than when its shut.

If the floor gets noticeably warm, then I’d agree opening up grill would be good. Not noticed it myself, tjough.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk