Coupling fifth wheel

Only if its loaded. My unit wont lift the legs off the floor if the trailer is loaded. Saves possible damage to the legs aswell :slight_smile:

Reef:

mark1284:
This is what i do…
Trailer brake on
Drop air out of unit
Reverse under trailer stopping short of kingpin
Raise unit suspension as high as it will go
Wind legs up a few inches
Reverse into kingpin
Tug test
Clip on
Susies on
Start engine put lights/hazards on (thus allowing to build air pressure up)
Number plate on
Legs all the way up (checking wheels tyres etc as your walking round)
Back in cab
Level out
Fill in defect card
Then drive off into the sunset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you started at 05:00, and I thought I was good at dragging the job out :laughing:

Just out of curiosity though why do you say you “Wind legs up a few inches” surely you’ve lifted them clear when raising the air fully up?

My proceedure…
Drive up to trailer and give it a quick once over, all wheels, tyres and nuts ok - trl brake on - quick look in the back or check seals… (amazes me how many drivers hitch up completely then notice they have a flat tyre or the wrong load is on that trl or whatever, and then have to drop the bloody thing again)
Reverse up to trl and using my eyes and good judgement see if I need to drop or raise air any, and adjust accordingly.
Once I get the ‘Currlunk’ of the jaws locking give it a forward and reverse tug test.
Side lights and hazards on. The reason for the hazards is if you connect a MAN to most of our trailers without having the hazards on as you connect you will get continuous annoying lefthand/righthand trl indicator malfunction warnings (all fellow MAN drivers thank me later :sunglasses: )
Jump out shine torch up josts dirty bits.
Clip on.
Suzies*
Legs*
Number plate*
(*checking marker and sidelights at the same time)
Level air.
Pour coffee.
Chat to as many other drivers and moan about how I got stitched up tonight, Yesterday AND last Wednesday.
Drink coffee.
Go to pull away.
Curse an expletive.
Get out and release the trl brake.
Drive off checking to see if anyone saw you forget the trl brake and if they did and are laughing flick them the finger and tell them to [zb] off :angry: :stuck_out_tongue: