HELP PLEASE!

Help me out please lads. Took over a new (to me) vehicle today, an MAN 440 on a 64 plate. Unlike its predecessor, a 12 plate, this one automatically switches to rest mode every time the ignition is switched off. Does this mean I have the bind of having to manually put it on other work or POA even when I wander into Goods In for a ten-minute interrogation? I can’t think our friends at the DVSA would be too impressed with a printout that only showed driving and rest.

chinese6:
Help me out please lads. Took over a new (to me) vehicle today, an MAN 440 on a 64 plate. Unlike its predecessor, a 12 plate, this one automatically switches to rest mode every time the ignition is switched off. Does this mean I have the bind of having to manually put it on other work or POA even when I wander into Goods In for a ten-minute interrogation? I can’t think our friends at the DVSA would be too impressed with a printout that only showed driving and rest.

But in Other work at some occassions, depending if you do “Other Work” at that time.

Don’t be afraid it’s just a tacho what has a setup like this. Show “Other Work” when need be, otherwise rest and driving is fine.

Tipperdipper1:
But in Other work at some occassions, depending if you do “Other Work” at that time.

Don’t be afraid it’s just a tacho what has a setup like this. Show “Other Work” when need be, otherwise rest and driving is fine.

■■

The-Snowman:

Tipperdipper1:

■■

Ok I rephrase that:

Yes PUT it in “Other work” when you go in Goods-In for example.

And yes you do have to put that in manually.

Think its the way tacho is set up. I had a MAN that did exactly the opposite and had to leave ignition on every time I had a break otherwise it would switch to other work, got it changed when it went in for service.

chinese6:
Does this mean I have the bind of having to manually put it on other work or POA even when I wander into Goods In for a ten-minute interrogation?

Yes you are legally required to change the tachograph mode to the activity you’re engaged in.

The first time I had a tachograph that defaulted to break when the ignition was switched off I thought it was a pita but I soon got used to it.

Sent from my mobile.

Bliss, that’s the way it used to be [emoji14]

I had this very same “issue” a while back with a MAN as well. At first I thought it was faulty, even defected it…but to be honest it takes a little getting used to but you do get used to checking what mode you’re in and even now I’m still in the habit of checking no matter what I drive

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

It does have its benefits as if you forget to take card out it will still
be on brake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:
It does have its benefits as if you forget to take card out it will still
be on brake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m guessing you’ll always leave the brake on anyway when parked up !! :smiley:

Total PITA when it does this because it screws up you break plans for the day if you forget, I.e resets the drive time clock so you have to go back to doing print outs and working it out etc. Next time it goes to the workshop get them to change the default mode to other work. Takes less than 10 mins.

nomiS36:
Total PITA when it does this because it screws up you break plans for the day if you forget, I.e resets the drive time clock so you have to go back to doing print outs and working it out etc. Next time it goes to the workshop get them to change the default mode to other work. Takes less than 10 mins.

Check the display to See what mode its on when you turn off the ignition…takes less than 10 seconds

Hi chinese 6, reasonably new to this forum like me. Anyway nothing to do with your question , just wondered how long you had been driving as your name would suggest quite a long time?
Sure a few of the older members will know what a ‘chinese 6’ is but how many of you youngsters know?

nomiS36:

I keep a track of my times in my diary, as well as where I’ve been, any delays etc. Comes in handy if planner asks about an issue 3 weeks ago, you can refer back and I can usually remember what happened once I’ve checked my entries.

Wheel Nut:
Bliss, that’s the way it used to be [emoji14]

You mean its not anymore ■■? :wink:

Didn’t MAN get fined very heavily for setting up tacho this way a few years back

EddieMD:

nomiS36:

Check the display to See what mode its on when you turn off the ignition…takes less than 10 seconds

Yes I know but it’s all too easy to forget, especially on multi drop. Get to a delivery point, switch off the engine, change mode to other work, “driver, can you just move forward a bit”, move forward a bit and whoops, bloody forget.
Much much easier to ask the workshop to change the default setting no?

nomiS36:

EddieMD:

nomiS36:

Yes I know but it’s all too easy to forget, especially on multi drop. Get to a delivery point, switch off the engine, change mode to other work, “driver, can you just move forward a bit”, move forward a bit and whoops, bloody forget.
Much much easier to ask the workshop to change the default setting no?

Thats like forgetting to wind down your legs…you forget once then you’ll never forget again…

jakethesnake:
Hi chinese 6, reasonably new to this forum like me. Anyway nothing to do with your question , just wondered how long you had been driving as your name would suggest quite a long time?
Sure a few of the older members will know what a ‘chinese 6’ is but how many of you youngsters know?

Ayup Jake. Passed my Class One in January 1986, aged 29. Never even sat in a lorry before my course, messed about doing daft jobs after leaving school but became interested in haulage whilst selling advertising space for a haulage-related publication - company Sierra Ghia, expense account, the full bit. Trouble was, I wasn’t much good at it and was “released”. My Dad, who had also never sat in a lorry in his life (both my parents were teachers) told me that if I got an HGV licence then I’d never be out of work. He was usually right and 32 years on I don’t think I’ve ever missed a day’s work through lack of it. I’ve trunked, tramped, done multidrop, shunted, roped and sheeted, done twelve years of nights, tilts, bulkers, even came off the road and did the best part of ten years in traffic management in the 1990s. But I never drove a Chinese 6! Just thought it would be a name no-one else would use - and that some would notice - like you. I also use it elsewhere for the same reason. Good luck!

Takes 30 seconds for a tacho centre to change, its a default mode, mine was like it when got fitted to pickup. Went back an they came out with card and changed it