Insurance disk on trailer

Is it an offence if it’s not there on not readable?

bjd:

Insurance disc? You don’t mean the the green mot disc?

Sand Fisher:

bjd:

Yeh sorry that’s it

Not all have them. Most of ours don’t and to be honest it’s not my problem if there isn’t one to check.

If it’s there then yes I’ll check in date. If none then it’s normal checks and good to go. Mot isn’t my job to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjd:

Sand Fisher:

bjd:

Yeh sorry that’s it

Interesting point. I’d say it is an offence. Had one the other day faded to nowt. If it is an o licence disc you have to have it replaced. In the minibuses we had, before they were typed I’d just re-write the date on them. Not exactly kosher but at least legible !

This has been brought up before, the mot is the operators responsibility- end of.

If drivers does the normal checks and it’s looks all ok then trailer goes out as normal

If stopped and no MOT It’s the company that will be chased not the driver as they’ve done all that’s reasonable before going onto a public road. To me it’s one of those where you CAN be allowed to assume it’s insured and MOT as part of a commercial fleet operation

Yes it is a offence not to display a in date mot disc on trailer(Road traffic act somewhere)
It’s on walk round checks at our place to make sure trailer has one and its valid.

Yorkielad:
Yes it is a offence not to display a in date mot disc on trailer(Road traffic act somewhere)
It’s on walk round checks at our place to make sure trailer has one and its valid.

I have found a couple that slipped through the net. One was not legible and the chief mechanic wasn’t best pleased at me for questioning it. 20 minutes later he came back and sheepishly informed me that it was 6 weeks out of date.
The second one (different company) was clearly 5 days out of date and nobody had noticed. One tranship later…

Do they still issue them? After all nowadays you dont even get a MOT certificate and are just issued with a receipt, if you ask for it.

Issued by Dvsa as are replacements if others are lost,I don’t know what the penalty is for not having one on but they do check if it’s there when stopped.

Yorkielad:

None of the trailers at our place have the discs. I asked about it the first day I started with them (3 years ago) as the last company I worked for did and it was on the walk round checklist. I was told they don’t need to be displayed anymore. I have been pulled twice by vosa since working here and they never mentioned the disc being missing. The last time I was stopped (over 12 months ago) they took the trailer chassis number and checked the computer to make sure it was MOT’d. Nothing was said about the disc being missing and I wasn’t fined. I will mention it again this week at work because personally I think they should be displayed, otherwise how is the driver supposed to know if the trailer is MOT’d

mm1988:
I think they should be displayed, otherwise how is the driver supposed to know if the trailer is MOT’d

How do you know that the tractor unit you drive has a valid MOT?

the maoster:

mm1988:
I think they should be displayed, otherwise how is the driver supposed to know if the trailer is MOT’d

How do you know that the tractor unit you drive has a valid MOT?

You can actually check a trailer (C number or if it’s old A number) or a truck (registration) on line.
gov.uk/check-mot-history

And yes it’s an offence to pull a trailer with no mot disc showing.
And yes Luke there are still MOT certificates, and the wording on the trailer certificate : “the disc must be displayed until (but NOT after) the date of expire, or the issue of a further certificate, whichever is earlier, in conspicuous and readily accessible position clearly visible from the near side of the road”

If I am confirmed correctly than in the next coming month(s) the certificate will disappear and the there will be a similar scheme as the cars, with only a recipe.

caledoniandream:

Then there’s ALOT of trailers on road that shouldn’t be then !

dcgpx:

caledoniandream:

Don’t forget new trailers won’t have an MOT disc for the first tear of their life…

Darkside:

dcgpx:

caledoniandream:

Don’t forget new trailers won’t have an MOT disc for the first tear of their life…

I’m not - I meant existing one. Like I put earlier last two places I worked most didn’t have a disc and these firms are well known ones not fly by nights

Yes it is an offence. Occasionally I get a trailer with a disc missing. I always let the office know and they confirm the MOT date. I also get a pointy shoe’d kid to text it to my phone before I take the trailer on the road, and I write it in the defect book also. That way, if DVSA stop me, I can show them I was aware of the missing disc, and took steps to find out the correct expiry date.

Darkside:

dcgpx:

caledoniandream:

Because there are a lot trailers on the road without them doesn’t make it right!
New trailers don’t need them for the first year.
If I mind correctly, the law says something along the line, that if a disc is issued, it needs to be showing, that exclude new trailers as they only get a plate issued for the first year.

It’s funny enough a British thing, as on the continent, trucks and trailers have no plating certificate and no MOT disc, just the manufacturers plate and of course their registration.

ezydriver:
Yes it is an offence. Occasionally I get a trailer with a disc missing. I always let the office know and they confirm the MOT date. I also get a pointy shoe’d kid to text it to my phone before I take the trailer on the road, and I write it in the defect book also. That way, if DVSA stop me, I can show them I was aware of the missing disc, and took steps to find out the correct expiry date.

Correct procedure, we all want drivers with the brain engaged and some initiative to keep it going and to keep on the correct side of the law.