Wages

So we all know there is a huge variance in HGV wages. I’m gonna generalise here and say the average is 23k a year partly due to the abundance of 7.5t drivers being classes as truck drivers and they are so I’m not disputing that. (If someone actually knows the average salary for a HGV driver please let me know)

What I find odd though is that transport staff are often paid very little in comparison to ourselves… i.e. just going by indeed.co.uk:

Parcel firm looking for traffic clerk - Crawley . 17k per annum ← seen some adverting the job for 15k
Transport planner in essex - 24k per annum
OPS Manager in kent - 25k per annum

Everywhere I have worked the people in the office are effectively my boss yet they are often paid a lot less then me.
I have often worked at places in which I have known I am being paid more then my boss.

This is a weird situation right? I also suspect it is not unique to me.
Yes I’m sure we could argue quite easily that it is us that take all the risk and responsibility but it still seems rather wrong.

So what’s your guys view on it?

Not really,they work 38 hrs per week most of them anyway,if an hgv driver works average 48 per week you can see why over a year they’d earn less.
Traffic clerk isn’t a job that requires any sort of qualification and is generally a min wage position tbh and if a transport planner is doing a “normal” amount of hours say 38 a week then they are on near £13ph @ 25K per year which is probabaly more per hour than a driver but just less hours.
If they did the average 48 hrs they’d be on 30K+

From the BBC:
£28,752 - Average salary hgv in 2017

£28,758 - Average UK salary for all jobs in 2017

Yeah it’s not just about the money. At my old place I was a depot manager and I got less than the drivers but it was balanced out by working office hours, weekends off, work from home, and other perks etc etc.

Unfortunately I can’t be bothered with corporate ■■■■■■■■■■■■ hence why I jacked it in, changed jobs and went back driving. There’s a lot to be said for being just a number :slight_smile:

As for average pay… It will depend on location. There’ll be places where 25k is high, likewise there’ll be other places where 30k is low. It doesn’t concern me what anyone else earns as long as I’m earning enough for me and the family but I’m on between 35-40k a year so perhaps it easy for me to say this.

And the reason your boss is a muppet is becasue he/she is paid peanuts and couldnt give a toss :grimacing:

Everyone on here earns serious money though, apart from the few doing it just to keep their eye in. I mean, I doubt you could find many TNUK drivers who would get out of bed for your measly £35-40k.

:laughing:

slowlane:
Everyone on here earns serious money though, apart from the few doing it just to keep their eye in. I mean, I doubt you could find many TNUK drivers who would get out of bed for your measly £35-40k.

This is true. I should be aiming for the 80k a year for 25 hours a week bracket like some are on :laughing:

slowlane:

£35-40k isn’t anything to get excited about when you consider most drivers are doing the best part of 2 weeks work in 1.

Rob K:

slowlane:

£35-40k isn’t anything to get excited about when you consider most drivers are doing the best part of 2 weeks work in 1.

Well that’s a whole different argument.
Hours wise maybe but ‘work’ is a stretch.

mrginge:
From the BBC:

This is disgusting :open_mouth:
I was on over 30k (pounds) a year in 1998 in the UK, I am on $80k a year here and that’s not enough.

Pat Hasler:

mrginge:
From the BBC:

This is disgusting :open_mouth:
I was on over 30k (pounds) a year in 1998 in the UK, I am on $80k a year here and that’s not enough.

Depends on where you live tbh,Someone on 30K in the north could have more disposable incomes than someone on £100k living in London.

I keep my truck at home all year round and make a lot of money as posted ($80k a year). A couple of weeks ago I was at the fuel pump in a Pilot truck stop and a guy from RUAN, a company that pull for Target stores and therefor weekend work obviously, the guy asked “Hey, are you the guy who parks in Whitehall ?”
“That’s me” I replied, “Why ?”
“I could get you a job on here if you are interested”
“Thanks but I’m not”
“It’s a great job, $55 grand a year and home every day or night and only 30 miles from your house”
“Where did you see my truck again?” I asked.
“In Whitehall, where you live”
“Please tell me why when I keep my truck right outside my house and earn $80k a year would I want to change jobs for less money and have to drive 30 miles each way every day to get into my truck and to top that off have to work weekends ?” :laughing:
“It’s a dam good job” he replied.
“Each to his own” I said, “But thanks for the offer”

adam277:
Everywhere I have worked the people in the office are effectively my boss yet they are often paid a lot less then me.
I have often worked at places in which I have known I am being paid more then my boss.

This is a weird situation right? I also suspect it is not unique to me.
Yes I’m sure we could argue quite easily that it is us that take all the risk and responsibility but it still seems rather wrong.

So what’s your guys view on it?

Why is it wrong exactly? and it’s got nothing to do with ‘‘risk and responsibility’’ either.
Many drivers either have to (or do voluntarily) 70 + hours a week.
The office types are starting at 9 and finishing at 5, or similar type hours.
Simple really. :bulb:

mrginge:
From the BBC:

RHA: Average working week for HGV driver 55hrs.

Eurostat: UK average working week 42hrs.

So we get £6 less than the national average for doing 13hrs a week more than the national average.

As Pat Hasler says, its disgusting. 1995 I was on £16k a year doing 50hrs. Early 2000s I was on triple time on bank holidays getting £18/hr which is £5/hr more than I was paid the last bank holidays I worked last year. Mid 2000s I was on £32k as a shunter doing 44hrs a week on 4 on 4 off 12hr shifts. Today for a 50hr week I’m on £28,600 with Saturdays which used to be time and a half paying just an extra £2/hr and Sundays/Bank Holidays which used to be at least double time an extra £3.

I earned £36.300 last year and my average hours worked out at 42 hours.There is good paying jobs near me but the bs that goes with them is not worth the extra pay in my eyes.

mrginge:
From the BBC:

This figure absolutely wrong.They count average in Uk.So some bank staff,NHS,big company bosses and more big staff get 100K per years and need study 10 years in colledge to get qualification .but million people in in factory work work for 15k per years and absolutely happy.But average will be 28752.

If they count average wages in industrial sector for not so much skilled job(drivers as well no so much skilled job) and not inclusive management salary in warehouse ,staff factory that Uk average wages will be just around 15-20 k per years.

Andrejs:
If they count average wages in industrial sector for not so much skilled job(drivers as well no so much skilled job) and not inclusive management salary in warehouse ,staff factory that Uk average wages will be just around 15-20 k per years.

Then it’s not a national average, just an average for a certain demographic.

robroy:

The office types that answer the phone at 10pm because a drivers kid has a snotty nose and can’t work tomorrow,
Then has to find another driver or swap jobs about, then the main customer rings at 3am because a trailer is leaking. Yeah right, 9 till 5 only in a greeting card shop [emoji23]

Wheel Nut:

robroy:

The office types that answer the phone at 10pm because a drivers kid has a snotty nose and can’t work tomorrow,
Then has to find another driver or swap jobs about, then the main customer rings at 3am because a trailer is leaking. Yeah right, 9 till 5 only in a greeting card shop [emoji23]

Yeah I have done that to the girl in our office that works 8am-5pm but phoned her at 9pm with a trailer problem, she then phones a service engineer who can meet me the next morning to fix the problem (The problem was inside the medical trailer not a drive problem). Ofcourse its just a couple of phone calls but she is having to make herself available on her time off.