Just imagine...

… that you were responsible for planning the delivery runs of a reasonable sized fleet of lorries. The vast majority of your drops are not time-critical (essentially the delivery window for most is any time between 8am and 4pm). Now imagine for a moment that your employer has just (within the past few weeks) taken on a new contract to run alongside the existing stuff - only a handful of drops each day in among the dozens they are already doing. This is a really important contract to your employer - so important that all the drivers and office bods have had specific training on exactly how these deliveries are to be carried out, and it has been stressed that all deliveries on this contract MUST be made within the client’s stated delivery window - no earlier and no later. So you know what the score is. Just imagine then that you are planning one of these super-special, time critical deliveries on a run that consists of 4 “regular” drops around SouthWest and North London. The specified delivery window is 8.30 to 12.00, so quite relaxed really. So what time would you plan for your driver to arrive at this super-special drop (bearing in mind he will be starting around 6am a couple of hours North of London).

I’ll tell you the answer - 11.55am.

I would make it 2nd drop 9/10 am or depending on drive time 1st
Then you’re not chasing to do it or if start of day goes Pete tong you can still do it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you able to get the drops off out of order? Do the most sensible on the way in, do the important one next, do the other 3.

Roymondo:
… that you were responsible for planning the delivery runs of a reasonable sized fleet of lorries. The vast majority of your drops are not time-critical (essentially the delivery window for most is any time between 8am and 4pm). Now imagine for a moment that your employer has just (within the past few weeks) taken on a new contract to run alongside the existing stuff - only a handful of drops each day in among the dozens they are already doing. This is a really important contract to your employer - so important that all the drivers and office bods have had specific training on exactly how these deliveries are to be carried out, and it has been stressed that all deliveries on this contract MUST be made within the client’s stated delivery window - no earlier and no later. So you know what the score is. Just imagine then that you are planning one of these super-special, time critical deliveries on a run that consists of 4 “regular” drops around SouthWest and North London. The specified delivery window is 8.30 to 12.00, so quite relaxed really. So what time would you plan for your driver to arrive at this super-special drop (bearing in mind he will be starting around 6am a couple of hours North of London).

I’ll tell you the answer - 11.55am.

What’s the problem? Seems to me like your company is giving you a bunch of drops to do and leaving it up to the driver to get them all off how they deem best but with a stipulation that one of them must be delivered between 8.30-noon. Putting 11.55 looks more like a case of needing to put ‘a’ time in the box on their planning screen to me, rather than a specific delivery time.

Much ado about nothing.

I’m guessing that someone has confused the ‘important job’ as being between 12 - 4 pm not 8.30 am - 12 pm. :bulb: Having said that 4 drops varying from around South West to North London in 4 hours I’d say they’re avin a larf regardless.Have they got any idea of the amount of traffic hold ups you’d meet between all the drops on that job.Let’s say Enfield or Tottenham to New Malden,let alone Chessington,for example.That could easily be 2 hours gone,without doing any other drops or stopping for any breaks,just getting between just those two points.

I’ll take Roymondo’s question as asked. Looks like bad planning, unless there are other factors involved, not known to him and us.
Some of the other posters are coming up with solutions to get around the bad planning. Fine, but bad planning it remains.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Rob K:
What’s the problem? Seems to me like your company is giving you a bunch of drops to do and leaving it up to the driver to get them all off how they deem best but with a stipulation that one of them must be delivered between 8.30-noon. Putting 11.55 looks more like a case of needing to put ‘a’ time in the box on their planning screen to me, rather than a specific delivery time.

Much ado about nothing.

No - we have standing instructions (we’ve all been given copies and signed to say we understand) that drops must be done in the order stated on the run sheet. It’s simply a result of PPP (■■■■ Poor Planning) where because “Computer says Yes!” (the planned arrival time is indeed within the stated time window) then everything is regarded as being hunky-dory.

Roymondo:

Rob K:

Much ado about nothing.

No - we have standing instructions (we’ve all been given copies and signed to say we understand) that drops must be done in the order stated on the run sheet. It’s simply a result of PPP (■■■■ Poor Planning) where because “Computer says Yes!” (the planned arrival time is indeed within the stated time window) then everything is regarded as being hunky-dory.

Well you make sure it arrives late then and when you get questioned over it, point your finger squarely at the planner that set the delivery time 5 mins before the cut-off. Not your problem.

Roymondo:

If I’ve read it right it’s all mission impossible of ‘4 drops’ around ‘North and Southwest London’ all done between 08.30 - 12.00 anyway ?.It would be no surprise if they’ve timed the last drop for 11.55 as part of that mission. :confused: :laughing:

Do the drops within the times or the route the Company requests,you maybe backtracking all over the place or taking longer to do the job.
Maybe an extra night out,but thats their problem for not planning properly.
They MIGHT learn their way is to expensive and have a rethink,but I wouldn`t hold your breath as planners ALWAYS know best :wink: :wink:

You lot really are all amateurs aren’t you, now’s the time to stop ignoring that recurring defect that’s been present for weeks and threatened to spoil your NIL defect routine, now you pounce on it strike while the irons hot… defect and VOR the truck and let some other poor muppet do the run… :laughing:

Reef:
You lot really are all amateurs aren’t you, now’s the time to stop ignoring that recurring defect that’s been present for weeks and threatened to spoil your NIL defect routine, now you pounce on it strike while the irons hot… defect and VOR the truck and let some other poor muppet do the run… :laughing:

AFTER it’s been loaded!