HGV medical

Some advice please gents.

55 at the end of August, had class 1 since I left the Army in 1990 but only used it on rare occasions, I am currently on a long holiday in Spain and the cost of flights back to take a medical are quite high.

My question is, if I don’t take the medical till say October, I know I cannot drive HGV from my 55th birthday, but once medical passed in say October and licence sent off will it be renewed without any hassle until I am 60? I don’t want to lose the entitlement.

REgards

whitey

With all due respect, is this not a question you should be asking the licensing authority as apposed to a bunch of strangers on the internet?
The chances of getting a correct answer on an Internet forum are slim.
I personally don’t know the answer to your question.

What is the expiry date next to cat C on your licence :question:

If the D4 medical is passed with no issues then it will last 5 years from the date of the licence issue in your case

ROG:

If the D4 medical is passed with no issues then it will last 5 years from the date of the licence issue in your case

If his licence expires in August and he comes back and has a medical (and passes it!) in October, won’t he get a licence for 5 years from October?

Basket:

ROG:

If his licence expires in August and he comes back and has a medical (and passes it!) in October, won’t he get a licence for 5 years from October?

YES because that will be 5 years from the date the licence was issued by the DVLA

A lot of drivers ASSUME that the LGV expires on their birthday but very few are such because the D4 medical in most cases lasts 5 years from the date of issue not the birthday

I have been on the DVLA website and it doesn’t really help, maybe I will email them, I just thought maybe someone on here had possibly done the same, missed the medical by a couple of months, and kept the entitlement when they passed the medical.
My "normal’ licence expires in 2033.
Thanks for the replies.

whitey852:
I have been on the DVLA website and it doesn’t really help, maybe I will email them, I just thought maybe someone on here had possibly done the same, missed the medical by a couple of months, and kept the entitlement when they passed the medical.
Thanks for the replies.

What is the expiry date next to cat C on your licence :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

You can let the medical expire at age 45 then pass the medical at age 75 to get the categories back - only for one year at age 75 though :smiley:

whitey852:
Thanks for the replies.

yeah, that’s what will happen. You don’t need to do tests again or anything - after it lapses, just doing the medical will get you it back :slight_smile:

ROG, CAT C 16.09.18. My 55th birthday 31/08

I have found a site that said it could lapse and then be reinstated after medical, I just didn’t know how current the information was.

Thanks again for responses.

When I was 50 I couldn’t find anywhere to get my medical done on time, My own fault for leaving it til the last minute, but when I finally did get my medical done and sent off I got 5 years from the date of my medical

Whitey852, you don’t have to go back to UK to take your medical, download the form from DVLA website and any doctor in Europe, can do your medical, I lived in France for ten years and my local French go did mine no problem and DVLA had no problems with it.

Sapper

Whitey852, you don’t have to go back to UK to take your medical, download the form from DVLA website and any doctor in Europe, can do your medical, I lived in France for ten years and my local French go did mine no problem and DVLA had no problems with it.

Sapper

Thanks again gents for the information,

I never thought of getting it done here sapper, from a fellow of the Corps I thank you, REgards.

Whitey

My medical expires 08/08/2018 and I have just got the D47P form through the post this morning

I am not intending to renew the D4 medical and my photo has 5 years to go

On the D47P form it says that the photo can be updated for FREE but does that mean for the remaining 5 years of the current photo or is that for the next 10 years :question:

ROG:
My medical expires 08/08/2018 and I have just got the D47P form through the post this morning

I am not intending to renew the D4 medical and my photo has 5 years to go

On the D47P form it says that the photo can be updated for FREE but does that mean for the remaining 5 years of the current photo or is that for the next 10 years :question:

I called and found the answers =
Renew LGV and get 10 years for photocard for FREE by sending new photo :smiley: :smiley:
Do not renew and it costs for the photocard :cry: :cry: