Own time WTD.

Boris1971:
If I booked a week off whilst in full time employment and chose to do a week of training funded by myself such as ADR or HIAB or any other transport training would this count towards my WTD hours?

Hi Boris 1971,

I’ll admit that I don’t have much idea about the machinations of the WTD, but I can tell you how things work when you take a course.

It all depends on who sent you. It’s as simple as that and regardless of who is paying for the course.

If your boss sent you, then you’re ‘at work’ because you’re following his instructions as part of your contract of employment. The time spent on a course under those circumstances is therefore ‘working time,’ the boss pays for the course and wages for you to be there.
Some companies have a course fee claw-back rule if you subsequently leave within ■■ period, but this does not cloud the issue of who sent you.

On the other hand, if you’re off work on holiday, you’re not subject to your boss’ instructions and therefore able to freely spend your time as you see fit.

It therefore follows that you’re not subject to anything to do with your employment if you choose to go on a self-funded course during your holiday days.

Many people do what you’re contemplating because then their boss has no say in it and you’re your own man at all times because you paid your own course fees.

:bulb: Dave’s tips:
If your firm routinely pays for DCPC, the tell the ADR/HIAB provider that you don’t need the DCPC element, then the ADR/HIAB courses that you’re paying for will be that bit cheaper for you. :wink:

If you have to get your own DCPC, then check your requirement and only book the amount of DCPC that can be uploaded to your DCPC account.

Depending on the course provider and how they’ve got their courses notified to JAUPT, you might well end up getting all 35hrs DCPC from those two courses, but I’d advise you to cover that at the time you make your bookings.