Something to be really proud of?

It appears that the firm I drive for, is now part of an elite group of only 60 companies in the Uk.
The area manger informed me that we have been awarded " earned recognition status", I must admit its a new one on me and apparently
we are the only building supplies company to receive such an accolade (his words not mine).
Anyway, is this something to be really proud of, or just a pointless Pr exercise ?

In fairness, the trial has only recently ended so there won’t be that many people that are on it.

It is supposed to show that you are compliant because it allows the DVSA to have access to all the tacho and maintenance records. Ultimately they intend for everyone to have it, the stick being that you are more likely to get pulled if you haven’t signed up for Earned recognition.

Jesus Christ…I wonder what the next wheeze will be.

I see it as just a PR exercise by DVSA .
They already run the traffic light system based on previous history .
Bad history and it’s red and you will get pulled very regularly
Good history and it’s green and not likely to get pulled unless it’s for something obviously wrong .
The scheme just gives them more data to work from .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

cheekymonkey:

In order to save on expensive taxation we’re going down the “self regulation” route. Works well in finance and banking doesn’t it?

[emoji53]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

grumpyken52:
Good history and it’s green and not likely to get pulled unless it’s for something obviously wrong .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
thats about right.
just a way of others doing their work for them.
its unusual to see tosco and the like dragged over the scales,whereas every time you pass the weighbridge its like a irish truck show. :slight_smile:

I think this it probably the first stage of having all tachograph records automatically uploaded and analysed by the DVSA.

When that’s achieved a small change to the law will allow the DVSA to automatically send out fixed penalties to offenders.

I hope I’m proven wrong though :wink:

tachograph:
I think this it probably the first stage of having all tachograph records automatically uploaded and analysed by the DVSA.

When that’s achieved a small change to the law will allow the DVSA to automatically send out fixed penalties to offenders.

I’m going to be totally upfront and honest here - anyone who has read my posts will know I can be slightly cavalier in my approach to HGV driving. My approach is to do my best and accept that I will make mistakes. But I have absolutely no problem with automated enforcement of the law.

As of yet I’ve never had an infraction apart from WTD ones. And that’s because I intentionally chose to ignore that set of rules. If I would be fined for doing so I’d have none of them as well.

But how daft do you need to be to get into a situation where you can’t stop for 45 mins after 4.5 hours driving? Even in the ‘dreaded’ central London I’ve managed it as I’ll simply stop at the last place I can before I head in. Even if I have only 1 hours driving to clear. The same goes for parking up… How hard is it to find somewhere to park a truck for the night? Pretty much any industrial estate will have a spot if you look hard enough.

I’ve worked with blokes who have infringements every week. And they get them because they chose too. If they can’t understand the regs it’s not like they couldn’t do a training course to count towards their professional development.

tachograph:

I believe that is the whole point of this exercise. Less work on DVSA’S part and send out automatic fines to offenders, you would hope that it would have a threshold as they generally are not interested in occasional ■■■■ ups here and there. But more interested in repeat offences.

Problem is if its automatic then it would need someone to look over them and weed out genuine manual entry mistakes etc that cause infringements or odd Infringements here and there.

Nightmare for us doing mixed driving. Not so much the Class 1s, but the 7.5 lads can do one day a week then in a van the other four. Lots of manual entries.

We are green on our OCRS, but it still sounds like even more work.

So your boss is proud of something you have to pay a fee to belong to?

toonsy:
So your boss is proud of something you have to pay a fee to belong to?

Cough cough…FORS.

As far as I’m aware there’s currently around 70 companies in the scheme (including ours :smiley: :smiley: ) and I believe it is designed to free up DVSA time so they can concentrate their resources where they are most needed. e.g. foreigners

Strangely enough two of the largest companies are not in the scheme, Tesco & DHL

So it is a pr exercise then.

albion:
In fairness, the trial has only recently ended so there won’t be that many people that are on it.

It is supposed to show that you are compliant because it allows the DVSA to have access to all the tacho and maintenance records. Ultimately they intend for everyone to have it, the stick being that you are more likely to get pulled if you haven’t signed up for Earned recognition.

Until they come up with another scheme to get everyone to join, continually moving the goalposts.

ClassOneHD:

albion:

Until they come up with another scheme to get everyone to join, continually moving the goalposts.

I expect it will become mandatory at some point.

In cab camera’s, tracking, remotely downloaded cards, ambitious/arse licking planners, fellow drivers who grass you up…

Sounds like this job is continuing to reach for the stars. Well, in some office staffs case…the brown ones at least.

grumpyken52:

+1 Basically this.

Let’s face it, if you do get pulled over and are running with a defect, having “earned recognition status” isn’t going to stop you getting a GV9.

Before you feel to proud don’t companies have to spend silly sums to be gold? so that’s going to effect your future wage increases.

Franglais:

cheekymonkey:

In order to save on expensive taxation we’re going down the “self regulation” route. Works well in finance and banking doesn’t it?

Except that Earned Recognition is not ‘self regulation’ at all.

To the OP: Ignore the usual driver-knows-best, opinion presented as fact merchants. Earned Recognition participation is as much a benefit for your employer as it is DVSA. Companies can only be accepted as part of it after an audit by a third party and information on compliance standards is transmitted (or not, as the case may be if all is well) by software from other third parties. The make-believe stories of DVSA being able to access firms’ data at will is ■■■■■■■■, as well.

Albion knows this already as I believe she was at the same Backhouse Jones seminar as me some time ago. Then again, I’m sure that there are some on here whose exposure to RDC waiting rooms and the geniuses within them means that they know transport law better than the £325 per hour Backhouse twins.