Something to be really proud of?

tachograph:
I think this it probably the first stage of having all tachograph records automatically uploaded and analysed by the DVSA.

When that’s achieved a small change to the law will allow the DVSA to automatically send out fixed penalties to offenders.

I hope I’m proven wrong though :wink:

I’m going to be totally upfront and honest here - anyone who has read my posts will know I can be slightly cavalier in my approach to HGV driving. My approach is to do my best and accept that I will make mistakes. But I have absolutely no problem with automated enforcement of the law.

As of yet I’ve never had an infraction apart from WTD ones. And that’s because I intentionally chose to ignore that set of rules. If I would be fined for doing so I’d have none of them as well.

But how daft do you need to be to get into a situation where you can’t stop for 45 mins after 4.5 hours driving? Even in the ‘dreaded’ central London I’ve managed it as I’ll simply stop at the last place I can before I head in. Even if I have only 1 hours driving to clear. The same goes for parking up… How hard is it to find somewhere to park a truck for the night? Pretty much any industrial estate will have a spot if you look hard enough.

I’ve worked with blokes who have infringements every week. And they get them because they chose too. If they can’t understand the regs it’s not like they couldn’t do a training course to count towards their professional development.