Hiab is 20t enough?

Been offered an ALLMI lorry loader 20t course through agency for £100 - includes hook and grab. And remote.

However, if it’s no use I don’t really want to do it. And there is no cpc days possible from it. Which is a negative. Meant to be 2 days training and assessment on third day. They are renting in truck and instructor/assessor.

In the real world is 20t enough for most jobs? Sorry for the dumb question - I don’t know a lot about HIAB work. What I don’t want is something that’s only any use for builders merchants etc.

I always thought that it doesnt matter what sie the lorry loader (HIAB) is. You can train on any size and it covers all.
I did mine years ago on a small one yet I use a 80t loader for work.
Big Crane / Small crane its all the same movement mechanics. The only diffrence is the weight of the object lifted will be greater with the larger crane.

msgyorkie:
I always thought that it doesnt matter what sie the lorry loader (HIAB) is. You can train on any size and it covers all.

I was told that it’s up to 20tm and it’s limited to that.

Agency are offering it cheap as they have got a couple of contracts for builders merchants and not enough qualified drivers. They want weekend cover and I’ve said I could probably do it.

However I don’t want something that’s only good for builders merchants.

sammym:

msgyorkie:

I was told that it’s up to 20tm and it’s limited to that.

Agency are offering it cheap as they have got a couple of contracts for builders merchants and not enough qualified drivers. They want weekend cover and I’ve said I could probably do it.

However I don’t want something that’s only good for builders merchants.

Well a 20 tonner is pretty limited in what you can lift. I would say the agency are lining you up for a stint at Jewsons.

After reading your other posts perhaps 2 t/m is more appropriate .

£100 for a 3 day course? Are the Agency paying a wedge of the actual cost? Anyway in your previous posts you’ve done a fair balance of cost/benefit so how does this look? Even if it is “only builder’s merchants” is it a good investment for you?
What new opportunities could it open? Would you want those opportunities?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:
£100 for a 3 day course? Are the Agency paying a wedge of the actual cost? Anyway in your previous posts you’ve done a fair balance of cost/benefit so how does this look? Even if it is “only builder’s merchants” is it a good investment for you?

Don’t know enough about it to really comment. I’d get £1 an hour more. Which in real terms means I’d need to do 100 hours extra work using it over 5 years to pay for itself back. Which is only about 1 shift a year. Which sounds okay. However - the real cost isn’t £100 - it’s £100 plus three days work. So it more like £4/500 in reality. Also I’m not sure how much class 1 work there is with a hiab… And I get paid more for driving around in class 1 and it starts looking less attractive - but I don’t really know enough about it.

If it was the unlimited ticket I’d do it without thinking - but I’m thinking that they might have put this 20tm limitation on it so you are stuck driving 26t rigids to horrible residential places with shortish shifts - as builders merchants generally don’t have the hours - so I’d earn less again.

I wouldn’t mind doing steel deliveries as I’ve done that before to building sites and it was okay. I didn’t have hiab so they craned it off for me. But I’m a lot less keen on Travis Perkins type work.

sammym:

Franglais:

Don’t know enough about it to really comment. I’d get £1 an hour more. Which in real terms means I’d need to do 100 hours extra work using it over 5 years to pay for itself back. Which is only about 1 shift a year. Which sounds okay. However - the real cost isn’t £100 - it’s £100 plus three days work. So it more like £4/500 in reality. Also I’m not sure how much class 1 work there is with a hiab… And I get paid more for driving around in class 1 and it starts looking less attractive - but I don’t really know enough about it.

If it was the unlimited ticket I’d do it without thinking - but I’m thinking that they might have put this 20tm limitation on it so you are stuck driving 26t rigids to horrible residential places with shortish shifts - as builders merchants generally don’t have the hours - so I’d earn less again.

I wouldn’t mind doing steel deliveries as I’ve done that before to building sites and it was okay. I didn’t have hiab so they craned it off for me. But I’m a lot less keen on Travis Perkins type work.

You seem to be asking the right questions…
No answers from me , sorry.[emoji53]

go for it , just renewed mine and when it’s done you can use any type /size , as for class 1 hiab work yes it’s out there we have 3 in our fleet and the units alone weigh in at 24ton so they are limited to what they can carry

Hi,if your doing the Allmi then your certificate will say C1,3+e for the test you pass.
This covers you for cranes up to 20 t/m.
It’s really for builder’s merchant/ block and brick work.
Most of the trucks that deliver cabins and steel etc have heavier cranes.
There is a fair few companies who deliver brick and block to sites using class 1 vehicles and you may have 1 near you.
Duncan
Sorry my bad it will be C1+5+e
Make sure you’ve got the remote control ticket as that’s what a lot of companies want now.
That’s the +e part.