Highways agency

Does anyone know what there job description says/involves.
Reason I ask this morning driving along car on road crashed into lamppost. Highways were there area coned off obv waiting recovery. highways blokes sat in there freelander well doing nothing. Why cant they direct traffic around. Instead of leaving it to drivers to decide to stop let oncoming traffic through. Causing huge tailback. As all drivers are in a rush.
Or does health safety prvevent them doing traffic duties not trained to stand in road and direct traffic

No need to direct traffic if there’s just one lane closed off, we are all mature enough to figure it out ourselves.

Hold ups are inevitable with everyone gawping at the scene/taking photos/updating their tweets etc.

I find undertaking everyone then merging at the obsticle works best or I just force myself in when there’s a gap bigger than a gnats todger. Or I realise no one’s gonna let me in and cry.

Frustrating as it is as long as no one’s hurt these minor inconveniences make very little difference in the grand scheme of things.

Road was a road 1 lane each direction .Was down to just 1 lane meaning oncoming traffic having cross to wrong side to pass.

Oh I see, sounds like a right kaffufle, glad I’m on holiday.
Should have used one of them stop/go board things or got a lollipop lady in to sort it out.

edd1974:

Repair roads.

Or did you mean Traffic Officers in a black and flourescent green batenburg patterned vehicle with Traffic Officer plastered all over it?

Conor:

edd1974:

Repair roads.

Or did you mean Traffic Officers in a black and flourescent green batenburg patterned vehicle with Traffic Officer plastered all over it?

Did you both mean ‘HATO’ by chance?*

*if we’re being pedantic…

why dont you just call them wombles then we all know what you mean? :confused:

Saves them hearing all the abuse that will no doubt be directed at them .
Whoa betide anyone that hinders the great unwashed from gawping and stopping to take photos or video to put on facey/instagram/twitter .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

They are called Highways England Traffic Officers to be further pendatic … they do have powers to direct stop traffic, I don’t believe that power is used on A Roads per sa …

gov.uk/government/organisat … r-services

If it’s a road that doesn’t come under our jurisdiction, we have no powers whatsoever. Instead of half information, how about road name/number, area etc.

Was just off m40 heading into lemington spa industrial estates 7ish this morning. Area was coned off for saftety. Driver was sat roadside on his phone. Was a 4x4 parked up higways/traffic. But who ever it was.qas sat there doing nothing. They should come out stop traffic one way allow some cars to pass. Stop other way instead of relying on someone to stop let oncoming traffic cross and past

If it was a local authority road, we have no powers to stop and direct traffic, the patrol was probably parked warning traffic until a local council highways crew turned up out of courtesy.

edd1974:
Was just off m40 heading into lemington spa industrial estates 7ish this morning. Area was coned off for saftety. Driver was sat roadside on his phone. Was a 4x4 parked up higways/traffic. But who ever it was.qas sat there doing nothing. They should come out stop traffic one way allow some cars to pass. Stop other way instead of relying on someone to stop let oncoming traffic cross and past

Well, we can’t possibly have qualified drivers attempting to negotiate a stationary obstacle themselves, can we? My observation is that HATOs provide a measure of scene safety and thereby prevent the need for traffic police being ■■■■■■■ with work that doesn’t actually require the police to waste their time on. I know they do other things as well. I don’t understand all the abuse they get, and their low opinion on here. It’s mostly imbeciles that like to slag them off. The same imbeciles that want people to think for them. I mean, come one, being shocked at officers parked in a vehicle “doing nothing”. I mean, really?

Years ago, Oh look someones broken down, I’ll slow down a bit and wait for a gap.

Now, race up to it, then cant find a gap to get through so push way through.

Some drivers would even stop and see if they could help.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:
Years ago, Oh look someones broken down, I’ll slow down a bit and wait for a gap.

Now, race up to it, then cant find a gap to get through so push way through.

Some drivers would even stop and see if they could .
So true these days everyone is out for themselves. And in a rush.

Not long again I fell off my motorbike on way home from work.nothing serious was at lights car in front set off I set off didn’t realise was a pothole I wobbled fell off.
Not one car driver stopped to.help they
swerved around me beeping there horn. Odd swear word through the widow. A woman walking past and some Muslim fella came over to help me up made sure was ok.