Road Charging proposals

The great Southampton City Council suicide mission continues………

Birmingham announced the same yesterday, in force by 2020. My 62 plate Peugeot will be paying £10 a day to start.

Better traffic management . Always queues at all the lights into and out of West Quay and the endless problems at Redbridge roundabout at the end of the M271 . Queues and Queues of trucks trying to get out .
Either that or demolish the Isle of Wight ( tow it out to sea and sink it) to allow more fresh sea air into the flesh pots of Scumhampton .

Problem solved .(Can Birmingham be towed out to sea and sunk ?)

Sounds like Southampton wants to self destruct. How many drivers will pay upto £100 a day to use their port when profit margins are slim enough as it is.
Once hauliers pull out of Southampton, the port will deteriorate leading to other ports absorbing the work. 1,000’s of jobs lost because someone signed a piece of paper without forethough

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

The worst part about this is it isn’t even targetting the right vehicles. The couple of hundred lorries aren’t the ones producing the most, its the tens of thousands of cars in Southampton.

It isn’t all vehicles, it’s those that aren’t Euro 6 - IIRC, Euro 6 accounted for around 25% of all trucks on the road last year, so by 2020, I’d guess that at least half will be Euro 6.

That doesn’t mean that I’m in favour of it, it makes hauliers divert older assets elsewhere or buy a newer vehicle ahead of schedule if able to. There are environmental costs attached to producing vehicles, it just means Southampton isn’t paying the price directly.

Its not only southampton…many major towns and cities are doing the same, and many from abroad also…Paris, Madrid etc and all due to come into force in 2020…their excuse is the air pollution act…so hauliers can make em pay for that …if they get a collection from those places…or a delivery…whack the hundred quid onto the price…or the quote…its the only way to get back at these idiots who are are not drivers…but pen pushers.

Surely the costs of Euro 6 compliance combined with the cost of the fuel itself has already made diesel obsolete and unviable for road use ?.When the London ULEZ requirement at least has already advised that conversion to spark ignition and LPG would be an acceptable solution.At which point road transport can then claim the moral high ground over diesel fuelled rail locomotives hauling containers in this case for example. :bulb:

truckyboy:
Its not only southampton…many major towns and cities are doing the same, and many from abroad also…Paris, Madrid etc and all due to come into force in 2020…their excuse is the air pollution act…so hauliers can make em pay for that …if they get a collection from those places…or a delivery…whack the hundred quid onto the price…or the quote…its the only way to get back at these idiots who are are not drivers…but pen pushers.

When the congestion charge came in, it was easy. If the job charged 300.00, well it changed to 310.00. Simple.

It’s harder to do though when the charge varies from vehicle to vehicle. Now in 2020, it’s deliver to X city and Euro 4 or 5 gets charged 100.00, where as Euro 6 doesn’t. If I ran a big fleet of container trucks, I’d be sending my Euro 6s into Southampton and if I had any older Euro 5s, send them to Andover where there is no charge.

As I said before, what happens is a disregard for the total vehicle replacement costs. I see a maroon Scania 111 (I think it is), pulling boxes. If that belonged to one if the corporates that would have been changed at least 6 times. I would be really interested (I’ll get my anorak), to find out what the costs environmentally speaking are of building and scrapping possibly those 6+ trucks versus that old Scania and its emissions.

albion:
When the congestion charge came in, it was easy. If the job charged 300.00, well it changed to 310.00. Simple.

It’s harder to do though when the charge varies from vehicle to vehicle. Now in 2020, it’s deliver to X city and Euro 4 or 5 gets charged 100.00, where as Euro 6 doesn’t. If I ran a big fleet of container trucks, I’d be sending my Euro 6s into Southampton and if I had any older Euro 5s, send them to Andover where there is no charge.

As I said before, what happens is a disregard for the total vehicle replacement costs. I see a maroon Scania 111 (I think it is), pulling boxes. If that belonged to one if the corporates that would have been changed at least 6 times. I would be really interested (I’ll get my anorak), to find out what the costs environmentally speaking are of building and scrapping possibly those 6+ trucks versus that old Scania and its emissions.

When these charges come in, will the docks see less ships? as the ship people divert the boats to ports that dont have this charge?

OwenMoney:

For Brumm there will be a new fallout game, based on real life area from UK, Fallout 7: Birmingham :smiley:

tommymanc:

albion:

When these charges come in, will the docks see less ships? as the ship people divert the boats to ports that dont have this charge?

OwenMoney:

For Brumm there will be a new fallout game, based on real life area from UK, Fallout 7: Birmingham :smiley:

I honestly don’t know, I suspect it will be easier to specify Euro 6 only trucks. By 2020 there will be a high proportion of Euro6, so I guess that will be the way it will happen.

I read somewhere that the biggest polluter is the cruise ships who sit in the docks with engines running to generate all the electricity they need. Why they can’t get an extension lead and plug them in beats me… I have a spare they could use :slight_smile:

A BBC investigation reveals Southampton docks does not monitor its air pollution rates, despite the city being among the most polluted in the UK.

Southampton City Council estimates the port contributes up to 23 per cent of air pollution in the city.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h … e-39181972

Carryfast:
Surely the costs of Euro 6 compliance combined with the cost of the fuel itself has already made diesel obsolete and unviable for road use ?.When the London ULEZ requirement at least has already advised that conversion to spark ignition and LPG would be an acceptable solution.At which point road transport can then claim the moral high ground over diesel fuelled rail locomotives hauling containers in this case for example. :bulb:

Unlike you to be so naive CF !

It’s nothing to do with “meeting EU air quality standards” or whatever they’re choosing to call it this week. If it was then the solution would be to simply ban ALL vehicles that do not meet x emissions criteria - euro 6 in this case for diesels. By continuing to allow vehicles in that do not meet x emissions criteria but only in exchange for a fee is hypocrisy of the highest order and proves that it’s just a huge con by the local authorities/central government (whichever one the money ends up at).

Do people honestly think that if we were all driving around in the latest euroboxes that emit pink fluffy bunnies from their exhaust pipes that the LAs/government would be happy? Of course they wouldn’t. They would just dream up some other BS to tax us with, so long as it keeps their nice gravy trains rolling along. Once everyone is driving an EV or modern eurobox and “EU air quality standards” are met, they’ll move the goalposts to congestion charging (as is happening already). All the cities and major towns will get it, then it will start being rolled out on the motorway network at peak times, then trunk roads, then once the general public have got used to it and accepted it, it will jump to being in effect 24/7 and voila, road charging and tolls nicely sneaked in through the back door under the guise of “congestion charging”.

The only reason they’re using the EU air quality standards excuse right now is because it’s more “agreeable” with the lemmings than congestion charging. That’s why it’s the ULEZ that’s being extended to the North and South Circular and not the CC zone :bulb: . When everyone is driving around in an EV and TFL sees their ULEZ gravy train judder to a halt, I’ll bet my house that the first thing to happen will be the CC zone gets extended to the N & S Circular.

albion:

truckyboy:

If it’s anorak time, you’re asking some relevant questions. Buying a Prius but scrapping it when ut needs a battery pack maybe more damaging overall than running a less fuel efficient old banger.
What we’re being told (I think) with the current regs is that particulates are the real problem.
Carbon Dioxide and Climate Change are still there, but in other parts of the world, water scarcity is fast becoming a major issue.
As you’re saying the Whole picture needs examination from all angles, pollution from carbon and NOx gases, usage of energy (including hydrocarbons) in the production of vehicles as well as their use in transportation. Water, pollution from rare earth extraction for batteries. The list of problems is huge.
Encouraging use of cleaner newer trucks is probably good, but it’s not the “magic bullet” some politicos would have us believe.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

One of the handful of money men to call out the housing crash and subsequent bank failures, Michael Burry is supposed to be concentrating his investments in water. I guess a lot of your wealth must be ■■■■■■■ similarly franglais :wink:

albion:
One of the handful of money men to call out the housing crash and subsequent bank failures, Michael Burry is supposed to be concentrating his investments in water. I guess a lot of your wealth must be ■■■■■■■ similarly franglais :wink:

Are you saying that I’m a big drip? Full of wind’n’water?

Correct on both counts.

Rising water levels endangering not only South Sea islands, but also major developed cities on one hand, against clean water shortages in other parts of the world?
Tis a crazy world we currently inhabit.

Edit- regards my personal wealth Investment portfolio? I recently sunk 50% of my savings into potable liquids: I bought a bottle of Perrier.

Santa:
I read somewhere that the biggest polluter is the cruise ships who sit in the docks with engines running to generate all the electricity they need. Why they can’t get an extension lead and plug them in beats me… I have a spare they could use :slight_smile:

A BBC investigation reveals Southampton docks does not monitor its air pollution rates, despite the city being among the most polluted in the UK.

Southampton City Council estimates the port contributes up to 23 per cent of air pollution in the city.

Checkout Brittany Ferries: there existing older boats are being equipped with multi million pound scrubbers on their funnels. I think the ship being built now will have a cleaner fuel? IIRC gas??

Franglais:

Santa:

Checkout Brittany Ferries: there existing older boats are being equipped with multi million pound scrubbers on their funnels. I think the ship being built now will have a cleaner fuel? IIRC gas??

Same for all operator’s on the western channel, north sea routes. Last I looked it didn’t include Ireland and the west coast of France. DFDS Bill for the upgrades was truly eyewatering.

I thought you were going to say you’d sunk 50% of your allocated cash into something, well, more red… :wink:

albion:

truckyboy:

It’s a 143 :wink: he runs at about 53/54 mph ,it’s very nice and shiny :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

albion:

truckyboy:

It’s a 143 :wink: he runs at about 53/54 mph ,it’s very nice and shiny :laughing:

Might have known you would know! It is a cracking looking working truck.