Wide load waiting area on the a1

Right at the top near the m62. Don’t bother trying to have a break there, local coppers have caught all the burglars, robbers muggers and car thieves and are now monitoring the only available space on the a1 for lorries having a break before relieving them of 30 quid. At least ■■■■ turpin wore a mask.

Nite Owl:
Right at the top near the m62. Don’t bother trying to have a break there, local coppers have caught all the burglars, robbers muggers and car thieves and are now monitoring the only available space on the a1 for lorries having a break before relieving them of 30 quid. At least ■■■■ turpin wore a mask.

“The only available space on the A1 for lorries having a break” you say? I guess you missed all the signs in the previous 1 mile informing you that Ferrybridge MSA is a mere 400 yards away then, right?

Good. Anyone who parks in a wide load area is an utter knob if they’re not carrying an abnormal load. They should do the same in the wide load parking areas in motorway services as well. And it isn’t the only place on the A1 to stop for a break unless you’re a ■■■■■■ incapable of planning ahead. As you say its just before the M62 so literally a few minutes up the road you have a service area to use and you’ve already passed one 5 minutes or so before.

Quarter of a century of truck driving and I’ve never got any fine or penalty, not even a parking ticket. If you get one you’ve only yourself to blame. I think of it as a tax on stupidity.

And as your comment about robbers, muggers and thieves, thanks for highlighting you’re a thicko who is clearly unaware that the police have different officers for doing different things and they can do more than one thing at once as they’re going about their daily duties.

They’re probably the same ones that park on the highways agency slip roads at sprotborough

Conor:
Good. Anyone who parks in a wide load area is an utter knob if they’re not carrying an abnormal load. They should do the same in the wide load parking areas in motorway services as well. And it isn’t the only place on the A1 to stop for a break unless you’re a ■■■■■■ incapable of planning ahead. As you say its just before the M62 so literally a few minutes up the road you have a service area to use and you’ve already passed one 5 minutes or so before.

Quarter of a century of truck driving and I’ve never got any fine or penalty, not even a parking ticket. If you get one you’ve only yourself to blame. I think of it as a tax on stupidity.

And as your comment about robbers, muggers and thieves, thanks for highlighting you’re a thicko who is clearly unaware that the police have different officers for doing different things and they can do more than one thing at once as they’re going about their daily duties.

Wow. You really are a first class grade a ■■■■ aren’t you. Maybe you could have used that 25 years of being perfect to after a bit of advice but no you just lord it over us plebs and throw out not one but four insults.

The big sign that says “wide load holding area” gave away that it was a wide load holding area. I couldn’t use any of the laybyes because theyve gone. The services were all full except the pumps and I’m not going to stop on them for 30 minutes. The a1 was effectively a big car park and I’d used more time than I expected and wouldn’t have made it to ferrybridge which was my plan. The big open unused space was my only option. I expected the copper to sign my tacho and move me on, you know, build a rapport with the public but they insisted on criminalizing someone who made a mistake. No wonder they dont have the support of the public.

I pass that holding area daily, I live not so far from it and I don’t think I’ve ever seen an abnormal load parked there.
I echo the sentiments about policing directing their resources to the easy targets we are. Muggers, burglars and other bad guys are difficult to find and we’re not so cherry pick the easy crimes is the easy option.

sent using smoke signals

For future reference, you were 2 mins from ferrybridge. Blue cross ferrybridge service, Red Cross is wide load layby [emoji57]

Nite Owl:

Conor:

Wow. You really are a first class grade a [zb] aren’t you. Maybe you could have used that 25 years of being perfect to after a bit of advice but no you just lord it over us plebs and throw out not one but four insults.

The big sign that says “wide load holding area” gave away that it was a wide load holding area. I couldn’t use any of the laybyes because theyve gone. The services were all full except the pumps and I’m not going to stop on them for 30 minutes. The a1 was effectively a big car park and I’d used more time than I expected and wouldn’t have made it to ferrybridge which was my plan. The big open unused space was my only option. I expected the copper to sign my tacho and move me on, you know, build a rapport with the public but they insisted on criminalizing someone who made a mistake. No wonder they dont have the support of the public.

+1

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

nomiS36:
For future reference, you were 2 mins from ferrybridge. Blue cross ferrybridge service, Red Cross is wide load layby [emoji57]

Thank you for pointing out I was wrong without using the terms “utter knob, ■■■■■■, stupid or thicko”. Nice to know it can be done. :wink: I get your point that I was actually really close to services, but bearing in mind how hard it can be finding a space in them at t time it’s an easy decision to take the lazy option and stick it in the abnormal load area. Especially since it was only for half an hour.

Finding a space at Ferrybridge services even during the day is dreadful.
There used to be overnight parking in a big car car park near to Pontefract town centre. It was closed to hgv in 2014 and I laugh every time I read the sign because it says there is alternative parking at Ferrybridge or Whitwood truck stop. Both are always full so it’s not really an alternative.

sent using smoke signals

He could have taken a sneaky break up by TKMaxx and the caravan place

In your defence ferrybridge services are total ■■■■, I’ve never seen a wide load in that layby but do see ‘normal’ trucks taking breaks in there nearly every time I pass. There should be a sign warning of the financial implications should you ‘illegally’ park there given they’ve taken all the lay-bys out on that bloody awful stretch of the A1.

Yeah yeah yeah the whole coppers have nothing better to do card.

To be fair on them, it’s not hard is it. Coming north you’ve got normal lay bys every mile as far as blyth where there are services. Then you’ve got ferrybridge. Continuing north you’ve got services at regular intervals (whetherby etc). Going west you’ve got whitwood, heartshead moor, then birch, going east you’ve got goole and then laybys once the 62 ends.

If you can’t plan your break with all those options so you don’t have to go into a lay-by specifically for a wide load then I’m sorry, it’s your fault.

561/2006 offers a very suitable get out clause, if there is excessive traffic, accidents, inclement weather, it will be recorded, you can deviate from said regulation in order to get to a suitable place.

£30 tickets equal attitude test failure maybe

nomiS36:
In your defence ferrybridge services are total [zb], I’ve never seen a wide load in that layby but do see ‘normal’ trucks taking breaks in there nearly every time I pass. There should be a sign warning of the financial implications should you ‘illegally’ park there given they’ve taken all the lay-bys out on that bloody awful stretch of the A1.

The huge sign that says “ABNORMAL LOAD HOLDING AREA ONLY” would be ample warning for any driver that’s not an inbred potato.

Rob K:

nomiS36:
In your defence ferrybridge services are total [zb], I’ve never seen a wide load in that layby but do see ‘normal’ trucks taking breaks in there nearly every time I pass. There should be a sign warning of the financial implications should you ‘illegally’ park there given they’ve taken all the lay-bys out on that bloody awful stretch of the A1.

The huge sign that says “ABNORMAL LOAD HOLDING AREA ONLY” would be ample warning for any driver that’s not an inbred potato.

[emoji23] [emoji23] just trying to be charitable don’t you know [emoji23]

I wonder if fining people on this particular patch was a new policy or just someone bored and wanting to up their ticketing rate?

Actually maybe this wasn’t a fine per-se, but just a parking fee similar to the cost of parking at the services - just now the police are getting in on the action of daylight robbery too. :wink:

I’m aware that they have been ticketing drivers who stop there for a few years.
As for attitude tests, anyone remember the YouTube video where the driver stopped on the slip road just after the end of motorway regulation sign at the highways agency depot at Doncaster (sprotborough), he got the hump for being told to move on and made the video pointing out he past the signs and figured it was legal to park up

id think his 1st mistake was to be parking with a uk regd truck.

peirre:
I’m aware that they have been ticketing drivers who stop there for a few years.
As for attitude tests, anyone remember the YouTube video where the driver stopped on the slip road just after the end of motorway regulation sign at the highways agency depot at Doncaster (sprotborough), he got the hump for being told to move on and made the video pointing out he past the signs and figured it was legal to park up

…which it was.