Coaches PCV

I know this is a truck drivers forum, but I was just wondering if anyone on here is also a PCV license holder and has experience of coaches. I’m asking specifically about coach driving as well, not public buses.

What’s the job like? Earning potential in comparison to an HGV tramper, ie if your away with the coach on a week long (or more) U.K. or euro holiday? Is there a standard pay structure in the industry like we get on trucks? Such has hourly or daily rate plus tax free nights out on top? How much do companies actually expect you to be away from home? Pros and cons of it in comparison to trucks?

Any other info would be great from anyone who’s done the job and has experience. And if you have, for what reason did you move from there to the trucks?

Thanks in advance

Apologies for not being specifically a truck question, although I am asking also for similarities/difference (other than the obvious such as your load can talk back to you and moan at you) and pros/cons…moderator if you want to move the thread then fair dos

There is a coach driver forum on facebook where you could get more answers. A lot of coach men go on or back to trucks because they cant hack Joe Public. I do some private hire day work and school contracts so I cant help you very much.

The money is poor, much worse than truck drivers but on a good day on a good tour it is the best job in the world. Money can be made up with tips and extra excursions and the like, sometimes quite substantially but that’s not guaranteed. I moved from coach to truck driving because trucks driving was my childhood dream. If you have no serious preference for either I’d say give coaches a try. On tours you can be away a lot, they can work 12 days on the trot and it depends on the company as to how long you have off between tours. If full time some will have you doing schools and the like between tours. I’m hoping to go back and do a few trips either this year or next, we shall see

Don’t become a coach ■■■■■■■ They ■■■■■■■ hate us so I will hate them back :-').

switchlogic:
The money is poor, much worse than truck drivers but on a good day on a good tour it is the best job in the world. Money can be made up with tips and extra excursions and the like, sometimes quite substantially but that’s not guaranteed. I moved from coach to truck driving because trucks driving was my childhood dream. If you have no serious preference for either I’d say give coaches a try. On tours you can be away a lot, they can work 12 days on the trot and it depends on the company as to how long you have off between tours. If full time some will have you doing schools and the like between tours. I’m hoping to go back and do a few trips either this year or next, we shall see

Best of luck @ Gibson Luke.

switchlogic:

It’s no different to truck driving, some companies will pay ■■■■ money and some will pay well. My local company does a driver trainee scheme, they pay for your licence and hourly rate once passed starts at £14 an hour but that’s a family owned firm, the nationwide companies tend to pay a lot less.

I found it to be longer hours and ■■■■■ pay. Tips are not great either, not like they use too.

If you are away, even though you have finished, its still like been at work constantly having passengers coming up asking stuff etc etc.

Be prepared to stop every few hours at a services, for that 1 person to turn up 30mins late whilst everyone has been waiting.

Its a crap job to do imo

Only good bit is 1p/free food at services and free entry/meal vouchers at some attractions

Ask DTW, he does lorry driving here in the winter then does coach driving abroad in the summer.

rearaxle:
Ask DTW, he does lorry driving here in the winter then does coach driving abroad in the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKHyikIjL1M

Small world. I’ve finished with the truck for two months and start my Topdeck tour tomorrow.

This has been a problem for some time for those drivers doing tours.

youmecommunity.co.uk/nightcap.html

SouthEastCashew:
Don’t become a coach [zb]. They [zb] hate us so I will hate them back :-').

You sound like a really professional driver. NOT.

rearaxle:

Is that all, when i was at school we did 2 coach trips to Venice, around 1700km each way

rearaxle:

That vid starts with him missing the closing time of the hotel, so he has to kip across the back seats.

He looks knackered :open_mouth:

Coach driving suits some and not others, personally I always found it to be a nice change. Suppose I was lucky enough to have a job where I could be driving an artic one week then a coach the next.
I have a couple of mates who do regular coach work and they earn a lot more than some truck drivers especially when the hat goes round. Yes some passengers can be a pain but so can loading a truck in the cold and wet. Each to their own.

animalmanphil:

SouthEastCashew:

… +1

DickyNick:
I know this is a truck drivers forum, but I was just wondering if anyone on here is also a PCV license holder and has experience of coaches. I’m asking specifically about coach driving as well, not public buses.

What’s the job like? Earning potential in comparison to an HGV tramper, ie if your away with the coach on a week long (or more) U.K. or euro holiday? Is there a standard pay structure in the industry like we get on trucks? Such has hourly or daily rate plus tax free nights out on top? How much do companies actually expect you to be away from home? Pros and cons of it in comparison to trucks?

Any other info would be great from anyone who’s done the job and has experience. And if you have, for what reason did you move from there to the trucks?

Thanks in advance

Apologies for not being specifically a truck question, although I am asking also for similarities/difference (other than the obvious such as your load can talk back to you and moan at you) and pros/cons…moderator if you want to move the thread then fair dos

I have a licence for both and have driven both HGV and PSV and coaches as well as buses, I have also been an operator in both too.

As a driver I would say the main difference is probably in cleaning the vehicle funnily enough. In coach driving you are expected to clean it inside and out and that can be a pain with so many windows! Also pillocks ramming apple cores etc into weeny little rubbish/ash trays.

Generally the pay is worse in coaches but you can gain a lot in tips particularly on tours, although in reality most coach work is private hires. Your personality is important on coaches - who wants a miserable moaning so and so? It also helps to be genuine and honest not a bullsh***er. If doing tours gen up on your local history and stories. People do appreciate it. Get to know where to stop and the deals/speed of throughput. You don’t want a 45 minute stop turning into an hour and half ‘cos you tuned up following two of Shearings’ finest do you at a place that can really only cater for 50 odd at a time. In general if as a coach driver you are genuine, pleasantly presented, have a dry rather than crass sense of humour you are off to a good start. Remember while most people like a joke you have to remember you are carrying a section of the great British public and making a joke out of something you and maybe 2/3 of the punters think funny might not go down with the other 1/3. So a bit of people awareness is a pre-requisite.

Truck driving is much more solitary, which is probably why many do it. After all if some r soul cuts you up you can bleep and cuss as much as you like and unless you have inward facing cameras who cares. But you can’t really start ■■■■■■ and jeffing with a bus load of punters on board so think about how you are in your attitudes to drivers and driving.

Driving a coach is easier but you are in full view of 50 odd punters so if you goof up a turn at a junction it won’t be just other road users to worry about! Both have their merits. Generally speaking coach driving is more sociable hours but you invariably get a lot of waiting around and wedding parties can be a pain collecting at 2 and 3 in the morning and then the invariable 'can you just drop me here driver or can you just go to Greenways Avenue etc etc instead of dropping off at the bus stop you collected from at the start of the hire. Then at the end you gotta clean it…

A couple of tips if coach driving. a - get yourself a short handled broom for going under seats (i.e cut the handle in half). b - if doing evening parties with young people take a spew bucket, some disinfectant and a mop and squeezer bucket and anyone feeling queezy sit them at the front. Easier to pull up and be ill in the gutter than over a row of seats. People can get gobby after drinking but usually it is good natured - just bear that in mind.

Also you may be handling cash (customers paying for their hire) so sort that out with your boss/customers at the outset when they’re sober.

jakethesnake:

animalmanphil:

SouthEastCashew:

… +1

Care to elaborate…?

It’s a bit like truck driving in the sense that there’s not a one size fits all answer. There’s jobs where you can be away weeks or jobs where you start in the morning, take kids to school and park up alllllllll day until you take them home again.

The job is what you make of it…
Don’t go into a company thinking you’ll be put into a brand new coach straight away as you’ll have to work your way up to newer coaches (we’ve got 2 brand new ones on the way and mutterings suggest I’m getting one :open_mouth: ) and don’t think it’s all private hire work as some days you’ll be on purely school work all day and in the yard and other days you’re flat out chasing your arse to get to the next job on time!!
On the flip side you’re going to places where you don’t have to pay to get in and have a look around, get meal vouchers at places and paid to sleep/watch DVDs/read a book for 4/5 hours…
If you get lucky you’ll be allocated a 49 seater with a boiler to make tea/coffee (my boiler is always on) and a toilet, not that I’ve driven my coach in the last 3 weeks as it’s been in the body shop being tatted up and repainted…
As for tips don’t expect one as the jobs where you think you’ll get one you won’t and the ones you think you won’t you will, I took some old people to Weymouth on Saturday and got £30 :laughing: :laughing:

Good stuff from Sand Fisher there. I did wedding work on Sat into Sun morning, I got profuse thanks and can you drop us just here please. No tip though.