Accident in truck

I had an accident in a truck at work I left all my details with the car driver and I’ve heard nothing of it in over a year I wasn’t a named driver it was insured any driver do I mention it to my car insurance?

No. Got nothing to do with your car insurers. Just be an excuse to put your premium up.

hornblower3:
I had an accident in a truck at work I left all my details with the car driver and I’ve heard nothing of it in over a year I wasn’t a named driver it was insured any driver do I mention it to my car insurance?

Certainly not .

I disagree…

I think you’re obliged to answer ‘yes’ if they ask about any accidents you may have been involved in at work.

I agree that it ■■■■■ that we should be penalised financially for doing our job but, that’s what two faced shyster insurance firms are all about…money.

Details of your accident will be on the Claims and Underwriters Exchange Database. Your car insurance will find out sooner or later and either ask for more money or cancel your insurance. Good luck getting insurance for ANYTHING if the latter happens.

Think very carefully before you take advice off a forum. Do a google search. It’s all there.

hornblower3:

If you don’t mention it and you have an accident then the insurers may refuse to pay the claim.

I had an accident whilst driving a lorry, which wasn’t my fault, and at the time I had two classic vehicles insured.

One was insured with NFU Mutual and the other with Ageas, the lorry was also insured with NFU Mutual and the third party with Ageas.

I still declare a none fault crash I had in 2014 as I thought I had too (seems I did the right thing) insurance is a bit of a con but they can ■■■■ you over if you don’t play by their rules.

hornblower3:

The accident I had was a damage only amounting to £3000 and happened in January 2012, the other insurers finally accepted liability in June 2014. There was no damage to the lorry.

You can email the Claims and Underwriting Exchange asking for all the information about claims you’ve been involved in, to see if it’s on there. It’s free now (GDPR - thanks EU :smiley:) but they can take up to a month to respond

Basket:
You can email the Claims and Underwriting Exchange asking for all the information about claims you’ve been involved in, to see if it’s on there. It’s free now (GDPR - thanks EU :smiley:) but they can take up to a month to respond

oh cool that is the best news yet thanks.

Basket:

Interesting. Do you have a template email we can use?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Basket:

Top advice mate :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

After some of my… Mistakes whilst driving a truck I’ll be sending them an email.

Really appreciate that heads up.

tommymanc:

Basket:

Interesting. Do you have a template email we can use?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

mib.org.uk/media/416481/dat … tr_v10.pdf

They give you one.

I’m not on there but I don’t know how the ■■■■ not :laughing:
I guess I’ve slipped through the gaps in the net

I suppose it depends what’s likely to involve an insurance claim and what’s cheaper for the company to pay to have fixed!

edit: I think that’s the wrong form above! mib.org.uk/media/416478/dat … ue_v10.pdf seems to be the one for claims (the MIAFTR one is for write-offs)

Basket:
I’m not on there but I don’t know how the [zb] not :laughing:

I suppose it depends what’s likely to involve an insurance claim and what’s cheaper for the company to pay to have fixed!

edit: I think that’s the wrong form above! mib.org.uk/media/416478/dat … ue_v10.pdf seems to be the one for claims (the MIAFTR one is for write-offs)

Spot on mate.

I have heard through ‘agency blokes’ that claims on the wagons are against the company and not the driver so don’t show. I know one or more of mine went through insurance. So it will be interesting to find out one way or the other.

biggriffin:
No. Got nothing to do with your car insurers. Just be an excuse to put your premium up.

Actually it does have something to do with your car insurers. If a claim was made your name would be on the Motor Insurance Bureau Database. When you’re asked if you’ve had any claims or accidents it isn’t just in a car, its whether on a motorbike, in a car, in a van, in a truck.

If they find out there was an accident you were involved in and you didn’t declare it they could refuse to pay you out in the event of a claim or cancel your insurance so that’s another question you’d have to answer yes to which would whack up your insurance.

Once upon a time you could get away with it but not since the MIB Database came into being.

sammym:

Basket:
I’m not on there but I don’t know how the [zb] not :laughing:

Spot on mate.

I have heard through ‘agency blokes’ that claims on the wagons are against the company and not the driver so don’t show. I know one or more of mine went through insurance. So it will be interesting to find out one way or the other.

I have had two accidents in the truck at work within the last three years one was my fault the other was the other drivers fault, I was worried about how this might effect my insurance so I sent off a £10 cheque to get the info from the data base and it WAS NOT recorded - £10 well spent for the peace of mind!!!

(This was last year and a year on from the date of my last accident).

We’ve had this do I/don’t I declare subject crop up quite a few times in vehicle recovery.

Basically, if you withhold any information that your insurer would/could reasonably use to calculate your risk (i.e. your premium) then your insurance ‘COULD’ become null & void.

It is a very, very, very complicated subject. In the few times it has reared it’s ugly head & we’ve had experience of a motorist falling foul of it, it has only ever affected the comprehensive side of the policy.

Having an incident in a work vehicle is very useful information to an insurance company, regardless of whether you were at fault or not, if you have been involved in ■■ no’ of non fault incidents then you become an increased risk on the comprehensive aspects of the policy.

If you “swerve to miss a fox” & write off your comprehensively insured £40k+ BMW then your insewerance co’ is going to look hard at minimising it’s payout which includes checking the MIB database. It’ll pay for the fence you wrecked . . . But NOT your shiny car.

Please stop confusing insurance brokers with insurance company’s. Your insurance company is mentioned on your ‘certificate of insurance’.

The ‘Data Access Request’ form states…

This request will not return any information relating to your motor insurance policy, claims made to MIB, written off vehicles or no claims discount.

So what information does it provide? Is the info of any use?
Or am I looking at the wrong form?

It’s the right form I think. Should return data for all crashes/claims your insurer have added to the CUE database.