What was he thinking ?

What was the trademark driver thinking that close to a roundabout.How he put the cyclist life in danger
is beyond me gave him plenty of room .

road.cc/content/news/243553-near … ng-traffic

that’s the answer mate he just wasn’t thinking.

How did he put the cyclist life in danger he didn’t tell him to get the bicycle… :grimacing:

Seriously though it looks worse then it really is. Driver was aware of cyclist goes for overtake little fiat decides fudge you your on my side of the road and tries to force driver back to his lane.
That being said I paused the video at the closest point between him and the cyclist and he was at the closest about 1m away from him maybe even 1.5m which is the recommend minimum distance.

Hardly life threatening after all just a case of a poorly timed overtake.

The problem is the infrastructure is not fit for purpose. Can we not put cyclists back on the pavements?

adam277:
The problem is the infrastructure is not fit for purpose. Can we not put cyclists back on the pavements?

There are countless videos out there of cyclists riding on the road right next to a cycle path.

As for the tradeteam driver, I do the same job and I can honestly say he was probably drunk.

Tradeteam driver is a muppet.

What was he thinking ?
Clearly he was not as he could never have completed the overtake before reaching the roundabout, so although he gave the cyclist plenty of room he must have given him/her an anxious moment not to mention the car driver.

Think it’s as simple as that he didn’t clock the roundabout tbh so went to over take them once he was out he noticed the roundabout and the oncoming vehicle

Wonder if the daily mail will pick it up “reckless truck driver nearly kills cyclist and wipes out car full of disabled children”. Catchy.

No matter what the road rules say, I’d have been on the footpath along there. But, no excuse for the berk in the lorry.

peterm:
No matter what the road rules say, I’d have been on the footpath along there. But, no excuse for the berk in the lorry.

No way would I have been on that footpath as a cyclist. There are lampposts, a bus stop, postbox, overhanging branches and leaves on the ground. The road surface looks good but I would have been a couple of metres from the kerb. If someone has to slow down to 15mph (average speed of a cyclist in UK) then so be it. With all those mini roundabouts a truck shouldn’t be getting much above that anyway. I would then move in at a suitable place for a following vehicle to pass.

peterm:

Duplicate post, sorry…

Magicmikew:

peterm:

No way would I have been on that footpath as a cyclist. There are lampposts, a bus stop, postbox, overhanging branches and leaves on the ground. The road surface looks good but I would have been a couple of metres from the kerb. If someone has to slow down to 15mph (average speed of a cyclist in UK) then so be it. With all those mini roundabouts a truck shouldn’t be getting much above that anyway. I would then move in at a suitable place for a following vehicle to pass.

You sound like the type of guy that wears a bicycle helmet and knee pads.
I’m 26 and in my life time about 15 years ago people always cycled on the pavement with no huge drama. I done it myself a lot and of course I fell off but I got back up went home and got a bollocking from my mum for having holes in my trousers.

This PC crap all started when a British cyclist won the Tour De Frane now you have all these lycra clad numpties with carbon fibre bikes doing about 11mph down a road. Heck I don’t think I’ve seen someone in lycra actually go above 15mph unless its down hill. I remember seeing a pack of them being overtaken by a builder (looked like one) no t-shirt one a high-vis, rather amusing.

THAT BEING SAID the leaves have gotten a lot more dangerous then they use to be.

Edit: I have never had an issue with a sign post, lamp post or any post while cycling. Mainly because I’m not a complete tard.
I do realise though that certain cyclists will not break even for red lights due to fear of losing any momentum and having to reset there fitbit…

Magicmikew:
No way would I have been on that footpath as a cyclist. There are lampposts, a bus stop, postbox, overhanging branches and leaves on the ground.

Aw diddums.
You shouldn’t be on the footpath anyway

Magicmikew:
If someone has to slow down to 15mph (average speed of a cyclist in UK) then so be it.

If thats your attitude, dont get bent out of shape when someone performs a dodgy overtake

We all know you ain’t supposed to be on the footpath with a bike, but that one didn’t seem to have throngs of people on it and it was a narrow road. As for trees, signposts etc, you’ve got eyes in your head, even if there’s no ■■■■■■■ brain connected to 'em. I’ve got nothing in particular against cyclists as long as they do the right thing by others.

m.a.n rules:
that’s the answer mate he just wasn’t thinking.

Disgusting driving. Lowers the profile of all of us :smiling_imp:

Overtake only if its safe to do so…great advice !!..beware of vehicles pulling out of side turnings??

It it difficult for some drivers to not “immediately move out to overtake” the moment they see a cyclist in front of them…

There’s the new law about “overtaking gap” required: 1.5m isn’t it?

Whilst being a tandem and all, this one still gets a laugh, and is already recognized as a “Viral” video… :sunglasses:

Road Safety is something we all need to be practicing, and all need to be aware of all the time. :exclamation:

From the Highway Code:
146 where there are junctions, be prepared for road users emerging
162 the road is sufficiently clear ahead
163 give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215)
167 DO NOT overtake
where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example
approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road
stay behind if you are following a cyclist approaching a roundabout or junction, and you intend to turn left

We may well argue about which of the above rules the driver has broken, but can we all agree he`s an unthinking fool?

Franglais:
We may well argue about which of the above rules the driver has broken, but can we all agree he`s an unthinking fool?

I disagree completely.
I once tried to jump a fence almost made it but my foot got caught so I landed face first on the pavement.

Was I stupid? Hell yea. I’d argue that although I did something stupid I shouldn’t be made to walk around with a dunce cap on for the rest of my life.
This is essentially what you and others here are arguing for. He made a mistake and in my view not even a massive one and a lot of you want him stripped of his licence and banned from driving for life(or words to that effect).

The highway code is open to interpretation and is imperfect, the roads we use are far from perfect and often inadequate particularly for the vehicles we drive. So we often have to use are own judgement and interpretation to decide whats best to do. A split second of not concentrating can often lead to an accident.
If you agree that humans should be allowed to drive a vehicle then you have to accept that mistakes will happen and cut people a bit of slack.

Also here is a intresting thought.
That Lorry giving plenty of room for the kid on the bike (far too much imo leaves room for some numpty to try and undertake him)
What if someone say a BMW owner saw this and said Fudge you, your on my side of the road I’m going to speed up so you cant complete your overtake. (I see drivers do this in London a lot)
Most British roads can not support cyclists safely. What confuses me the most is when they do cycling down these narrow little country lanes that are NSL 70mph with loads of sharps bends.

adam277:

Franglais:

I disagree completely.
I once tried to jump a fence almost made it but my foot got caught so I landed face first on the pavement.

Was I stupid? Hell yea. I’d argue that although I did something stupid I shouldn’t be made to walk around with a dunce cap on for the rest of my life.
This is essentially what you and others here are arguing for. He made a mistake and in my view not even a massive one and a lot of you want him stripped of his licence and banned from driving for life(or words to that effect).

The highway code is open to interpretation and is imperfect, the roads we use are far from perfect and often inadequate particularly for the vehicles we drive. So we often have to use are own judgement and interpretation to decide whats best to do. A split second of not concentrating can often lead to an accident.
If you agree that humans should be allowed to drive a vehicle then you have to accept that mistakes will happen and cut people a bit of slack.

Also here is a intresting thought.
That Lorry giving plenty of room for the kid on the bike (far too much imo leaves room for some numpty to try and undertake him)
What if someone say a BMW owner saw this and said Fudge you, your on my side of the road I’m going to speed up so you cant complete your overtake. (I see drivers do this in London a lot)
Most British roads can not support cyclists safely. What confuses me the most is when they do cycling down these narrow little country lanes that are NSL 70mph with loads of sharps bends.

The rule book exists because some people are too ■■■■ foolish to think for themselves. This driver is a prime example.
“Cut someone a bit of slack”? Yes, OK, but this isnt a case of a bit of a slight misjudgment IMHO, its a pure fool.
Overtaking approaching a junction, no sightline of traffic entering from a nearby junction, not much chance of completing the overtake before the roundabout…No need to hang him, but I wont say a single word in his defence. (And I havent previously said anywhere that he should be banned for life or anysuch)
“(far too much imo leaves room for some numpty to try and undertake him)”? How should we drive in your world? If we see a cyclist should we follow them to prevent a fool crashing into them? We should responsibly, and not assue all other drivers are saints, but we aint a protection force. An oncoming car accelerating to cause an issue? None here, but so what? Using a second example of a bad driver doesnt make this one less of a fool does it?
British roads are like all roads, they are totally neutral, they take no lives. Bad drivers or bad cyclists take lives.