in cab cameras

do the cameras not only record the driver, but also record any conversations within the cab need to know thanks for any input

Depends, some do, some don’t. Depends how cheap your employer has gone.

The mics are there it’s whether they have them set to record or not,you can toggle it on/off.

All three cameras record everything in our cabs

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Biglew74:

They can record me not sitting in it then. :wink:

Harry Monk:

Biglew74:

They can record me not sitting in it then. :wink:

Yup.

And they can’t force the situation either.

Bits of rag are so useful sometimes…i for one would cover up any camera fitted in a cab…its an invasion of my privacy…and stuff them that say its for my protection…have never needed one in the past…and certainly dont need one now.

All the companies own vehicles where I work have them, they record video sound and theres also GPS recording including speed (pretty high tech good quality equipment tbh) according to the transport supervisor (hes not a manager) he doesn’t listen to the sound but many people have seen him watching video footage back (for no apparent reason) with the sound on.

I hope he saw and heard the footage of me with my face an inch off the camera shouting ‘■■■■ you Dave’.

An article below on this very topic:

transportoperator.co.uk/2017/06/ … veillance/

Ghiabox:
All the companies own vehicles where I work have them, they record video sound and theres also GPS recording including speed (pretty high tech good quality equipment tbh) according to the transport supervisor (hes not a manager) he doesn’t listen to the sound but many people have seen him watching video footage back (for no apparent reason) with the sound on.

I hope he saw and heard the footage of me with my face an inch off the camera shouting ‘[zb] you Dave’.

How Very Dare They !!
It`s an invasion of the poor managers privacy to watch him !

If you have a new FH lower the sun visor 3 inches covers the camera if its up top of the windscreen (button by the tacho just to the right.).
Ours used to be logged into the camera to view the feed from the office and you didn’t know you were being watched microphone worked aswell.

Lads, you do not have to put up with these invasions of your privacy.

Join the union, stand together and you can fight these things.

I know the way to fight these but i am not going to put it on open forum, if you unionise yourselves then your union office is a mine of information, if you can’t be bothered to unionise yourselves then lump it.
Hint…in many cases due dilligence was not exercised ‘‘before’’ installation, that’s all i’m saying.

David H:
An article below on this very topic:

transportoperator.co.uk/2017/06/ … veillance/

Given your username here and the name of the author of the linked article, I think it would be fair to assume that you are one and the same person? If so, it’s a good article but there are some bits which I very much disagree with, specifically :

Article:
More than any other demographic, the unregulated introduction of advanced telematics monitoring technology in the transport sector is likely to put off potential young recruits.

[…]

Telematics are being tested on older, experienced drivers who don’t care about the long-term implications of their introduction because they’ll be retiring soon.

The next generation of drivers is unlikely to be so accepting. This sort of intrusion strips away the vital essence that motivates people to work in a solitary environment.

I think you’ve got that the wrong way round. If anything, the next (and current) generation of young drivers are likely to embrace it as that’s what they’ve been brought up with and know no different. You’ll struggle to find a youngster under the age of 30 that doesn’t have Facebook, WhatsApp, Waze, Google account and endless other apps that require you to sign your life away and have everything you do tracked and monitored as part of their usage terms. The younger generation don’t care for any of this stuff and they see no issue with it.

Once the older generation of drivers retire this sort of intrusiveness and monitoring will become the new norm at every haulage company (dressed up as an “insurance requirement” of course :unamused: ) and no-one will bat an eyelid. It’s coming whether you like it or not and drivers WILL accept it because they’ll have no other choice if they want to continue driving a truck for a living. It won’t matter how much you stamp you feet and object, nor will creating or joining unions. The same thing happened with the resistance to tachographs, digital tachographs and more recently the DCPC BS.

Think RobK is right on this one. In previous threads on TN it’s always us coffin-dodgers who have problems with the Stalinist-type surveillance on offer here, Millennials seem far more likely to go down the “If you aren’t doing anything wrong…” road.

Harry Monk:
Think RobK is right on this one. In previous threads on TN it’s always us coffin-dodgers who have problems with the Stalinist-type surveillance on offer here, Millennials seem far more likely to go down the “If you aren’t doing anything wrong…” road.

Ohhhh, you’ve gone and done it now! :open_mouth: Mentioning Stalin in a post. A certain member has alerts set up for any mention of that word (amongst others). He’ll be firing up his PC as I speak to tell us it’s the fault of those Thatcher-hating Brexit-voting Marxist communists that caused all the slavery in the American southern state of Alabama in 1912 because they didn’t have any access to double-drive Peterbilts. :smiley:

No camera records me without my express permission. And I ain’t gonna give it. Whilst in that cab it is not only my workplace but also my accommodation.
My employer should not have a legal right to record me constantly as its an invasion of my privacy. Record whatever you want outside the cab, but nothing inside.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Juddian:
Lads, you do not have to put up with these invasions of your privacy.

Join the union, stand together and you can fight these things.

I know the way to fight these but i am not going to put it on open forum, if you unionise yourselves then your union office is a mine of information, if you can’t be bothered to unionise yourselves then lump it.
Hint…in many cases due dilligence was not exercised ‘‘before’’ installation, that’s all i’m saying.

Juddian mate, you may as well suggest taking Devil Worship up to some of them, they have been educated in the 80s and 90s with the biased syllabus, and view of history, …equating Trade Unions to paedophilia,.and they believe it :open_mouth: , just read some of the past posts on this subject.
You’re ■■■■■■■ in the wind bud. :bulb:

Divide and conquer at it’s finest example.

Anyone ever tried playing them at their own game?

“Sure, I’ll drive your wagon with inward facing camera. But I’m going to need to see and sign your privacy policy on personal data first. I will also require written notice of at least 30 days of any request to access my data with details of who requires it and for what business purpose. If I consider the request unreasonable I reserve the right to deny access to my data. I will also require you to erase any and all data possessed by the company after 31 days and a new privacy policy submitted to me before any further driving is completed.”

Pretty sure the above statement doesn’t have any legal framework, but from what I’ve found people tend to treat drivers like knuckledraggers and think a lot are too stupid to understand legal babel, and just by showing that you are aware of whats happening and certain rights (such as the right of data deletion, notification when your data is used etc) might make some sit up and take notice.

Though I’m sure some TMs will send you packing when they realise you’re not a mindless worker drone. Not sure about if you join a new company/agency but if your current employer tries to bring them in you can question why they are being brought in and if they give a reason such as ‘to make sure you don’t use your phone while driving’, then you can start demanding reasonable proof of suspicion that you already do. If they do it anyway in spite of not having a very good reason, it might be worth talking to a solicitor or contacting ACAS. Just make sure you make a formal complaint in writing and whatever you do, don’t leave the job! Working under duress from employers is something employment tribunals frown heavily upon and you’re more likely to win a case if you are still there working.

It’s a massive ballache, don’t get me wrong. But its better to stand your ground than crawl away with your tail between your legs. I received £2k from a former employer for unfair dismissal over a contract clause some years back. I protested the clause and was sacked for doing so. Lawyers got involved but didn’t reach tribunal stage as they knew they were in the wrong since they didn’t attempt to resolve the dispute before terminating me so they pushed to settle out of court.

You don’t need to be in a Union to have rights. You just need to be prepared to stand up for yourself.

And for the record, I’m a millenial (31) and I’m 100% against inward facing cameras.

Their truck, their rules. Don’t like it don’t drive them but eventually it’ll get to the point where you’ll end up only finding jobs with cowboy companies paying rubbish wages as they’ll be the last people wanting anything fitting to their trucks that can drop them in it.

As for the “its my accommodation” line, I’ve yet to go in a truck with inwards facing cameras where closing the curtains doesn’t cover them.

stuwozere1:
No camera records me without my express permission. And I ain’t gonna give it.

ROFLMFAO. You’re being recorded almost all the time. Every time you go in a MSA, every time you go in a shop, every time you use a cash machine, when you walk through town, when you drive down a major road…

And any time you’re in a public place absolutely anyone who wants to can record you and there’s sod all you can do about it. People like you make me laugh because when the cameras get fitted you’re the ones who make the loudest noise but that’s all you do, just flap your gums like you think anyone gives a stuff. I doubt you’re irreplaceable at your firm and there’ll always be someone quite happy to jump in your seat when you’ve spat your dummy out.

Conor:
ROFLMFAO. You’re being recorded almost all the time. Every time you go in a MSA, every time you go in a shop, every time you use a cash machine, when you walk through town, when you drive down a major road…

And any time you’re in a public place absolutely anyone who wants to can record you and there’s sod all you can do about it. People like you make me laugh because when the cameras get fitted you’re the ones who make the loudest noise but that’s all you do, just flap your gums like you think anyone gives a stuff. I doubt you’re irreplaceable at your firm and there’ll always be someone quite happy to jump in your seat when you’ve spat your dummy out.

The difference being that a truck isn’t a public place. What others do is up to them, but I personally have never driven a truck with an inward facing camera and never would.