640 hp MAN TGX

I saw one of these the other day at somewhere I go regularly.

It was a brand spanker, I didn`t even know they made a big hp MAN. A couple of questions came to mind ?

1 - Anyone drove one ? are they any good ?

2 - As a new cab design is imminent are there bargains to be had in buying one ? ( not that I`m in a position to buy one ) … just wondered how it compared to price to big hp Merc / Scania / Volvo ■■

TIA

They used to do a V8 and did for years but you only ever saw them on heavy haulage like merc V8’s. Always baffled me why ‘normal’ hauliers didn’t use them like they do V8 scanias. When I was at the MAN drive and ride event last week I asked about them and was told they’d stopped doing them a couple years ago.
The new cabs inside are an improvement over the old cab but mainly because they’ve managed to make the fridge retract fully under the bunk finally and put radio controls and stuff on the rear wall of the bunk compartment. Apart from that they are fairly similar to the old cab which was always decent enough so all in all a good facelift but nothing more than that.

This is the one I`ve seen … looks very nice in blue.

commercialmotor.com/news/de … -logistics

Does look very nice and a decent spec…apart from the gearbox [emoji57]

I priced one last year, 98k and its yours

nomiS36:
Does look very nice and a decent spec…apart from the gearbox [emoji57]

New Traxon gearbox, 100% better than the old one and not far off an i shift

nomiS36:
They used to do a V8 and did for years but you only ever saw them on heavy haulage like merc V8’s. Always baffled me why ‘normal’ hauliers didn’t use them like they do V8 scanias. When I was at the MAN drive and ride event last week I asked about them and was told they’d stopped doing them a couple years ago.
The new cabs inside are an improvement over the old cab but mainly because they’ve managed to make the fridge retract fully under the bunk finally and put radio controls and stuff on the rear wall of the bunk compartment. Apart from that they are fairly similar to the old cab which was always decent enough so all in all a good facelift but nothing more than that.

Probably because Scania V8s have a luxury cab design which appeals to trampers (hence all the Irish registered V8s) while the MAN and Merc V8s used their ordinary cab and were aimed at heavy hauliers.

I’ve never driven a V8 but I’ve driven some of the more recent MANs and they are definitely an improvement on the old one (which wasn’t bad itself) and definitely the gearbox has had some of its oddities smoothed out (and even that, I found, was adequate on a 44-tonner; it was on a 26-tonner I found it awkward).

also used to do a v10

The V8 MAN was only built as left hand drive and not as a mid-lift, these are the two main reasons so few, if any, were sold here for general work. The V10 was built as right hand drive in 4x2 form and whilst hardly a big seller there were certainly a few about.

We have bought the one from the stand at the CV show and have two more being delivered in September, let you know how we get on.

Already have 560/580’s, so would imagine quite similar

knowall:
We have bought the one from the stand at the CV show and have two more being delivered in September, let you know how we get on.

Already have 560/580’s, so would imagine quite similar

Hi Knowall … this is " knownothing about MAN`s "

Did you buy the blue 640 hp jobbie that was in the commercial motor write up ?

Are the 560 / 580`s 6 cylinder ? or v8 ?

Is the 640 a 560 / 580 with bigger turbo and remap ?

Let us know how you are getting on with them.

TIA

The 56/580 and 640 are all the 15litre D38 engine

Hi

The blue 640 previously in the press was last years CV show truck, our one is the ruby red one from this year’s CV Show.

The engine is a straight six 15L and is a development of the 520/540/560/580 D38, coupled to the new ZF Traxon gearbox, which is spot on and nothing like the old box.

There are approx. 5 of these come into the UK each year, and AFAIK there’s no deals about due to the rarity.

Nearly sure Claas 980 forage harvester has a MAN V10 engine 850horse.
The Krone BigX1100 (1100 horse :stuck_out_tongue: ) has a MAN V12,
Some “poke” if they were in a MAN truck!!! :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue:

knowall:

There are approx. 5 of these come into the UK each year, and AFAIK there’s no deals about due to the rarity.

I dont think there limited are they? I.ve just asked and i can order one for delivery in September if i was that way inclined ( which im not, this is definately my last MAN)

I’m not hearing good things about them, but it’s all been anecdotal.
Anyone thinking of buying one would do well to speak to an operator who has bought one.
Seacliff Haulage will be a good place to start any enquiries.

Old John:
Anyone thinking of buying one would do well to speak to an operator who has bought one.

The 640 in particular or just MANS in general ?

chaversdad:

Old John:

The 640 in particular or just MANS in general ?

Well, MAN used to produce an unremarkable but workmanlike and generally all round good range of trucks. In more recent times there have been many lemons , and again anecdotally, the unfortunate owners have not had much if any sympathy from the manufacturer. I know of several operators who will never,ever have another. Others feel that the good points, weight, cab, decent electrics etc are enough to compensate for major engine issues. I suspect they will all be larger operators though who will have more clout at dealer level.

Regarding the 640, as I said, ask the direct opinion of an operator who is running one. As I also said, I don’t hear good things, but it’s second hand information to me.

Im still no wiser on what you meant, i.ve ran MANS for 12yrs so i know all i need to, the only dodgy engine was the 440 Egr but seeing as that accounted for the majority of Uk sales it gave the truck a bad name, i dont think anyone spends a 100k on a truck because it looks nice, i think anyone splshing out on a 640 will have done there homework

I don’t think any of the EGR engines were good , although the 440 was certainly the worst. Quite a lot of the 480s around here didn’t manage much over 500k before going bang (spectacularly sometimes)
A lad near me had two 540s both adblue , one needed pistons and liners at 300k (which, in fairness was done under warranty ) it then went on to break the crank at 600k.
The other, which was bought second hand, gave up all hope at sub 500 k and had to have another engine fitted, which has since needed a cylinder head.
They go very well indeed, when they’re going!!