Garmin Dezl 780

Has anyone got their hands on a Dezl 780 yet?

I just received mine through Amazon this morning. You all know I’ve been a big fan of Garmin devices up until now; well this looks like a duffer. So far the 500 and 700 series Garmins have been the same except for the size, and I need the bigger units because I can’t always have them right in front of me because of how various artics, especially, have their dashboards set up. The Garmin sat-nav app is now basically tacked onto a weak Android tablet (which uses Marshmallow, despite there having been two major Android releases since then) which looks bad and uses stock apps that most people who actually use Android don’t use, but the main problem is that there is no access to the phone interface through the Voice Command system. I use this all the time on my 770 to make calls without taking my hands off the wheel and it’s vital, especially when the unit is not right in front of me (which it usually isn’t). This thing cost £429. I’ve emailed them to ask what’s going on and if they don’t plan to restore voice dialling in a software update I’m sending it back.

Vowed to never buy a garmin anything ever again after spending similar on their last truck sat nav.

Was absolute ■■■■■■ traffic was useless, software complicated and flaky, maps gave poor information, hated it. Luckily it eventually packed up after 18 months and I got a full refund off amazon.

I make a point of telling this story as often as I can because their product is a joke for what they charge for it.

SuperMultiBlue:
Vowed to never buy a garmin anything ever again after spending similar on their last truck sat nav.

Was absolute [zb], traffic was useless, software complicated and flaky, maps gave poor information, hated it. Luckily it eventually packed up after 18 months and I got a full refund off amazon.

I make a point of telling this story as often as I can because their product is a joke for what they charge for it.

My 770’s still working fine although the traffic has got less reliable – I’m wondering if the aerial (which I always assumed was a mic for the phone and voice commands) is the problem.

I sent a TomTom back after a day’s use; it had all the problems you mention with Garmin. What do you use now? I’ve never tried a Snooper so I couldn’t compare Garmin or TomTom with that.

I used the device at work on Monday and it was pretty efficient in directing me where I needed (from Hook to a EMR plant outside Walsall). I emailed them to find out why they removed the “phone through voice command” feature and if they plan to restore it in a future software update. I haven’t had any reply from them yet. (I pre-ordered it through Amazon in April; it came last Sunday but still hasn’t officially been released here or in the USA yet.) Traffic is slightly improved, although I wonder if that’s because I now have a new antenna for the traffic.

Review posted on my blog:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been trying to get answers out of Garmin about the lack of voice activated calling (which was on the old version AND is on the new 5in truck sat-nav, the Dezl 580). Has anyone else dealt with Garmin “customer service”?

They clearly don’t read what I write. The complaint is that the phone command is missing from the voice commands list, which means I cannot make hands-free calls. Hands-free means I don’t take my hands off the wheel, which is important if the device isn’t within arm’s reach. It doesn’t just mean I don’t touch my phone.

Here is my exchange with them:

Me: So, I’ve just discovered that the Dezl 580 (the smaller 5in model) has phone functionality through the voice command system, but the more expensive 780 doesn’t? Why? @GarminUK

Garmin: Hi Matthew this device does look to have voice commands on the unit as shown in the device overview at this link: buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/58952 … 5-10#specs [note: this refers to Bluetooth calling, NOT voice-activated calling]

Me: It has voice commands, but “phone” which was present on the 770 and 580 isn’t on the 780. Why? True hands-free calling is an important feature; without it I have to take my hands off the wheel.

Garmin: Hi this will have bluetooth calling if the device is paired to a compartible mobile phone with the smart phone link application. -CB

[It is paired, and Smartphone Link is running and connected.]

Me: How? It’s not in the voice command list. And why should it need the smartphone link app for Bluetooth calling anyway?

Me: Why is it taking days for you to reply to my tweets? The simple fact is that voice calling is nowhere to be found on this device. Smartphone link is active. (I attached photos of my device, showing the voice commands list.)

Garmin: Hi to do this you would use voice command to go to contacts and then choose a contact to call. -CB

Me: Which voice command to access contacts? There is no Contacts command listed and when I say “Contacts” it does nothing.

No reply yet. I sent them a DM and asked them to have someone who knows what he’s talking about and who speaks English to call me. No call yet, and no reply.

Jeez H man :open_mouth: , is it just me or what …Is this Trucknet or ■■■■ Starshipnet. :unamused:
You guys must have a stressful job with all this cutting edge hi tech stuff cack that you need to do your job, which is basically go from point A to point B. :bulb:
I was going to say ‘It aint rocket science’ but that’s exactly what you’re making it out to be.
You also make it sound as if finding your way to Tesco and Travis ■■■■ Perkins sound is a difficult job. :unamused:

I really don’t know how tf I’ve managed all these years.
:laughing:

robroy:
Jeez H man :open_mouth: , is it just me or what …Is this Trucknet or [zb] Starshipnet. :unamused:
You guys must have a stressful job with all this cutting edge hi tech stuff cack that you need to do your job, which is basically go from point A to point B. :bulb:
I was going to say ‘It aint rocket science’ but that’s exactly what you’re making it out to be.
You also make it sound as if finding your way to Tesco and Travis [zb] Perkins sound is a difficult job. :unamused:

:laughing:

This is the next generation, snowflake trucker, if it isn’t given to them on a plate,with turn by turn directions with an electronic interface, they moan and post their displeasure on social media,they also struggle with any form of human interaction, everything is virtual, gawd knows what would happen if all the satellites were switched off.

I still carry my box of A-Z, takes up space but they are still the best.

biggriffin:
I still carry my box of A-Z, takes up space but they are still the best.

Those out of date maps? Kewl

biggriffin:

robroy:

This is the next generation, snowflake trucker, if it isn’t given to them on a plate,with turn by turn directions with an electronic interface, they moan and post their displeasure on social media.

Different times… we’d probably have a worse “driver shortage” if these aids weren’t available.

Cronus:

biggriffin:

robroy:

This is the next generation, snowflake trucker, if it isn’t given to them on a plate,with turn by turn directions with an electronic interface, they moan and post their displeasure on social media.

Different times… we’d probably have a worse “driver shortage” if these aids weren’t available.

Would giving them a brain be to much of an aid :smiley:

I’ve got the 770 and never had any problems with it which is more than I can say about the bag of ■■■■■ Tom Tom I used to use.

Finally managed to speak to a human being at Garmin yesterday and actually explained the problem (which the online support people kept misunderstanding). He filed a bug report with the US software team because he couldn’t imagine that this feature would be left out in a new version without any explanation. So it’s just a matter of waiting now.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Had an email yesterday from a senior member of support at Garmin. They said the removal of voice-directed dialling was by design:

I am a Senior member of Support and I am contacting you in regards to your case.

We have looked into it and I can confirm that this option for “phone” has not been included in the Voice command menus and this was by design. The phone functionality is being contained in a separate app.

I have forwarded your email to the design team as they are always interested in customer feedback. Many of the comments/suggestions we receive (such as yours) are often evaluated towards potential implementation into future Garmin products or current unit software releases. We cannot guarantee that what you have suggested will be implemented, however we do appreciate you passing along your opinions.

We also have a portal for customers to submit ideas directly to our innovation experts. Please share your ideas with us at the following page on our website: www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/

Kind regards,

I can’t see what ‘design’ would justify removing this feature. I can only assume it is because the new device is based on Android and that the phone functionality is an Android app, and they couldn’t fit voice-directed dialling into the new (poor) Android set-up.

I’ll be sending this back to Amazon and sticking with the 770 for the time being. It’s a shame as I prefer Garmin’s mapping and their user interface over TomTom’s which is slow and unresponsive.