Recent Ex-Forces people needed please! (T&D)

I originally posted this in Newbies but that may, with hindsight, have been a mistake, so I’ll copy it here as well:

Hi all,

For those who don’t know me I’m an ex-driver of 15 years (most of which has been documented on here one way or another… :blush: ) who now writes full time for the trade press as a freelancer.

I’m working on a feature for Truck & Driver about what it’s like for people coming into the industry from a Forces background. If that’s you, would you be up for having a chat with me over the phone on the subject? Ideally I need people who would be happy to have their real name and a mugshot published, though we could make you a name up if push came to shove! :wink:

Cheers guys. Lucy. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I’m after RECENT leavers - so within the last year or two, please. In other words, no Maoster, this is NOT another opportunity for you to grass yourself up for your tank-transporter-driving-while-■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ type exploits! :stuck_out_tongue: :open_mouth: :grimacing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I guess that rules out all of us who were on the balcony that day. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m hurt Lucy. I’m off to find my safe space now! :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Harry Monk:
I guess that rules out all of us who were on the balcony that day. :stuck_out_tongue:

And those who went ashore at south Georgia, First.

I was going to join the SAS, but I couldn’t make my appointment at Hereford.

The boss sent me on a last run to Belgium. I got a puncture just outside Zeebrugge, and missed the boat…it was the Herald of Free Enterprise.

ZZZZZZZZZZZ

I only do this to help out a mate, you know…I’m really a British Airways Captain, but it’s fun to drive trucks for a change.

Might be worth asking here

arrse.co.uk/community/forums/

Do you remember Gas Gas when we swung Concorde around Heathrow to line up for landing and looked down on the M25 and promised we’d be lorry
driver’s one day.

GasGas:

The boss sent me on a last run to Belgium. I got a puncture just outside Zeebrugge, and missed the boat…it was the Herald of Free Enterprise.

ZZZZZZZZZZZ

I only do this to help out a mate, you know…I’m really a British Airways Captain, but it’s fun to drive trucks for a change.

I would of stopped and help with your puncher,but I would of missed the boat ,sorry

Yes, that day was a game-changer for me!

Who wants afterburners when you have a Gardner 150 and a David Brown gearbox in a leaky cab made out of wood and biscuit tins.

This thread may not be serving it’s purpose, but it is making me giggle! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You should call maritime they employ a few they got some that used to be in the Royal Engineers

Lucy:
I originally posted this in Newbies but that may, with hindsight, have been a mistake, so I’ll copy it here as well:

Hi all,

For those who don’t know me I’m an ex-driver of 15 years (most of which has been documented on here one way or another… :blush: ) who now writes full time for the trade press as a freelancer.

I’m working on a feature for Truck & Driver about what it’s like for people coming into the industry from a Forces background. If that’s you, would you be up for having a chat with me over the phone on the subject? Ideally I need people who would be happy to have their real name and a mugshot published, though we could make you a name up if push came to shove! :wink:

Cheers guys. Lucy. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I’m after RECENT leavers - so within the last year or two, please. In other words, no Maoster, this is NOT another opportunity for you to grass yourself up for your tank-transporter-driving-while-■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ type exploits! :stuck_out_tongue: :open_mouth: :grimacing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What is the reason for recent leavers only? Whether its 20 weeks or 20 years, the process of transition will be similar but the stages of transition will differ wildly. You are asking for people who are still going through a subjectively relative adjustment period and that often takes far longer than 2 years. The 2 year cap suggests the target participants are inexperienced at commercial driving.

Simple - I wanted to get a wide range for precisely the reasons you’ve stated, and having done so find myself with a gap.

One can learn how to “Cantilever” at Downtons…

Downtons Oops.jpg

… Or “learn to be Phenomenal at Phenomenal”…

…or “Leave it behind with Aldi”…

scanny77:
What is the reason for recent leavers only? Whether its 20 weeks or 20 years, the process of transition will be similar but the stages of transition will differ wildly. You are asking for people who are still going through a subjectively relative adjustment period and that often takes far longer than 2 years. The 2 year cap suggests the target participants are inexperienced at commercial driving.

• a barrow load. I left HM’s finest 10yrs ago recently & still haven’t readjusted to this civvy “FUJIA” malarky.
    It’s not intentional, but I may come across as an arrogant ■■■■ at work. At the end of the day, the job gets done, I get paid & tough ■■■■■■■ if “Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms Snowflake” gets his/her knickers in a twist if I stop for a NAAFI break at 10! :stuck_out_tongue:
    Edit: just clocked your reply Lucy…but my ramblngs still stand. :slight_smile:

GasGas:

ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Sorry, to hear of all the bad fortune you have had … it’s not often you get a puncture in Belgium … was you booked on the MH flight too.?

You mean I can´t tell you how we used to swap drivers, Bedford MK, on the road doing 40 mph? Just because I´ve been out too long?
Dayum!

steviespain:
You mean I can´t tell you how we used to swap drivers, Bedford MK, on the road doing 40 mph? Just because I´ve been out too long?
Dayum![/qu

What!!! you got 40mph out of a MK :open_mouth:

I’m enjoying reading some of these ahem, “confessions” my former Red Cap brothers and sisters would have a field day! :smiley: