Blow outs.

Is there a cause or a reason for blow outs?
Just today on my travels around Essex kemt and crawley must have seen about 10 wagons parked up in various places with shredded tyres.

Debris in the road, tyre picks it up, starts deflating, overheats, goes bang. I believe the reason so many blowouts occur on the centre axle of tri-axle trailers is that something which is lying flat on the road gets thrown up by the first axle and is then forced down at an angle by the second axle which then punctures the tyre.

Not keeping an eye on tyre pressures is the general idea. Whether due to a puncture, a faulty valve or some other leak. Eventually it will overheat, but only if someone hasn’t noticed the low pressure for days or sometimes weeks.

Myself I took a walk around the lorry each time I took a leak, usually found a problem every 3-4 months or so, hence no blowouts in the last ten years.

Picking up debris on the road.

Not keeping an eye of pressures.

Bad maintenance, not checking for slits bulges, tears etc and swapping out when its needed.

Probably the three main causes, a lot of people run then till they go bang.

Harry Monk:
Debris in the road, tyre picks it up, starts deflating, overheats, goes bang. I believe the reason so many blowouts occur on the centre axle of tri-axle trailers is that something which is lying flat on the road gets thrown up by the first axle and is then forced down at an angle by the second axle which then punctures the tyre.

I agree. The last one I had was on the inner tyre, centre axle on the off side. By the time I’d pulled off the m/way, it was well and truly shredded. Pressures were all OK that morning and it was a real git getting the inner wheel off. Also lucky I knew about the nuts turning into bullets when you’re taking a spider wheel off. Loosen all nuts off, give it a few whacks with 4Ilb 'ammer and only when they’re all loose, take 'em off.

Ah I see. Just yesterday seemed to see so many and I wondered if maybe the hot weather was a factor to consider. Tyres get hot and swell maybe?

edd1974:
Ah I see. Just yesterday seemed to see so many and I wondered if maybe the hot weather was a factor to consider. Tyres get hot and swell maybe?

Hotter weather and hotter roads mean the tyre will get hotter quicker.

Mid December and lashing it down a soft tyre isn’t going to get as hot as a 30 degree day in July.

It amazes me to see how many drivers these days seem happy to drive on the hatching or to allow their wheels outside the edging line. This is where all the nuts and bolts and nails collect along with other tyre-damaging debris! Robert

Perhaps if you curtainsider boys could keep your ratchet straps on your trailers there might be a few less, just came from Birmingham to Holyhead nearly enough straps on the road to secure a full load