T&D Begging Thread: Your best job ever?

Hi all. It’s been a while since I last posted a T&D blag on here, so this one’s long overdue! If you’re a user of certain social media groups then no, your eyes are not deceiving you, you have seen this somewhere before, but in this instance the more the merrier! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

What has been your best job ever in transport? Which would you either never leave or go back to in a heartbeat? It can be for any reason at all, money, people, the kind of work, whatever floats or floated your boat. You can choose whether to namecheck the company or not, I don’t mind,

For example, mine was for Trans European, better known as TEPS, out of first Southampton and then Hull. It was a mix of box work and ferry trailers (and tilts shudders), but as Hull was the main yard I mostly ran between that part of the country and the east coast ports regardless of where I was based. Good friends, a good laugh, and the long hot summer of 2003 - this was just before trackers and the like and no-one really cared what we did so long as we got the job done and didn’t take the ■■■■ on the hours we booked.

I could wax lyrical for hours about that job, but two things stand out in my mind most. Firstly, I ended up having a really hard time when I split up from my ex and the gaffer was great, moving me and all my stuff in the wagon back up north (where I came from) lock stock and barrel to get me away and to safety - changed the truck onto the Hull o-licence, the lot. Fabulous bloke. Started from Southampton on Sunday as usual, finished the week in Hull the following Friday, job done.

The other was the sheer cameraderie. Things like being stuck in queues outside Trinity Terminal and all piling out to the canteen, then taking it in turns to run across and move all the wagons forward so we could all get fed. Crawling off the berth at 11pm and knowing your mates would’ve saved you a spot in the Dock Basin to park up. Running in threes and fours, coming out of Colsterworth Truckstop when there was still a roundabout on the A1, the first wagon to get out going all the way round to hold back the traffic and let the others out…

Ok. You must be bored [zb]less by now, so well done if you made it this far. And, more importantly, over to YOU!!! :grimacing:

Sorry never drove for anyone eles but me ,20 yrs of solitary :cry:

Has to be the Parceline day bulk job on agency.Every day was like a day trip to the country or the coast with more driving and parking up enjoying the country or coast views than drops or collections.Nearest thing I ever did to a job that was as good as a holiday. :smiley:

Punchy Dan:

Is that cause youre such a brilliant boss?
:smiley:

Or a rotten employee who no-one else wants?

I may have missed it in a previous thread but what financial incentives do you offer truckers for providing you with content which you then sell and get paid for?

Not a bean, Ol’ Bean, but at least I’m honest about it. In your case I might just about run to a quid a mile and a mars bar for old time’s sake, but you’ll have to collect it in person. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing:

Franglais:

Punchy Dan:

Is that cause youre such a brilliant boss?
:smiley:

Or a rotten employee who no-one else wants?

Both :unamused:

Lucy:
Not a bean, Ol’ Bean, but at least I’m honest about it. In your case I might just about run to a quid a mile and a mars bar for old time’s sake, but you’ll have to collect it in person. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing:

The man’s got a very good point there.

Kepstowe Freight Services. Best, most interesting ultra long-haul work, fantastic money, nicest people. I think I went to around 30 different countries in four years and had more than enough time off to do the tourist bit in the vast majority of them.

I would have to say Ship Sped,a Norwegian co based in Holland.Brilliant people,fantastic work,good Equipment and Money.Went absolutely everywhere from Murmansk to Malta,Crete to Iran and all of Europe.Always well treated by the Captains and always fed well especially on the cruise ships.

Rob K:
I may have missed it in a previous thread but what financial incentives do you offer truckers for providing you with content which you then sell and get paid for?

No one is forced to reply, it’s not like shes making a fortune from others hard work

Tough choice between what I do now (drayman at LWC) or last job in a van delivering beer for a micro brewery based in Co.Durham, the latter was all over the north/mid England and some of Scotland (Edinburgh and surronding areas) some really nice views around Yorkshire (kinda miss driving around and about to Oxenhope and around bradford Keighley and funny named pubs like Dirty Dicks in Halifax) and I wish I had plucked up the courage to go have a look around the Crypt in the church at Lastingham :laughing:

But being on the main drays I get free alcohol and possibly eventually diabetes :laughing:

switchlogic:

Rob K:

No one is forced to reply, it’s not like shes making a fortune from others hard work

“Dog in a manger” attitude from some it seems Luke?

I wonder if that`s RobK I saw today in an RDC?
Talking nonstop about the “best job I ever had, mate”…although me and RobRoy were both there avoiding eye contact and trying not to listen…

I’ve had 2 fantastic jobs in the past 30
years
The first one was at Stirlands of Nottingham a large general haulage company who had some great customers Boots, Raleigh Bicycles, Imperial Tobacco,Pedigree Petfoods just to name a few
Not many people left there
There were a lot of long term drivers,fitters and warehouse staff who were 30 year plus people and at least 10 people with 40 years plus service
Nearly everybody had nicknames
Odd legs, the missing link, thousand ■■■■■,blackadder the gargoyle and the pig man
Mine was “Boycie as from Only Fools and Horses as my laugh was the same
We had a social club where we’d have about 6 do,s a year plus day trips which included families coming
The pay and conditions were probably the best in the East Midlands
The fleet was well looked after i worked there for 17 years
I only left because I got offered a job as yard Shunter at Imperial Tobacco in Nottingham which was too good to refuse
This was a cracking job I was home every night I only worked 7 hours a day with great pay and conditions
I worked there until being made redundant after production of cigarettes ended and the factory closed

Thanks guys. Keep 'em coming. :grimacing:

I love my current job on the outskirts of the local town

I drive to and from work through an area of outstanding beauty and at 6am ish when coming home it’s just me and the rabbits who see it. Plus it’s only 15 miles away.

Coming into the village I get stopped sometimes by strings of very beautiful, nutcase horses so that’s hardly a pain either

I get to drive different vehicles of all shapes and sizes and I’m learning loads

Love it.

O always find sime good in whatever job I do Lucy…I love to drive but the BS that goes with it can get overwhelming. If I’m left to get on with it I’m happy as the proverbial pig. I think my last 2 places have been the better so far, mainly because i realised what the job was and my attitude changed accordingly. I always work through agencies or direct so I can pick and choose and have a little tanteum now and then…works wonders. I loved DSV to be fair, left to get on with it and more recently was with Suttons but outsourced by them.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Rob K:

You really are the most negative, miserable and depressing person I have ever encountered Rob. An article in a truck magazine with quotes from half-a-dozen drivers might pay what, £100?

Why can you not get the concept into your head that if a thread does not interest or appeal to you, that it is better simply to ignore it and move onto a thread which does interest or appeal to you?

As I said elsewhere, I’m really starting to regret luring you back on here. :stuck_out_tongue:

harry you’re wasting your time with rk . he remind’s me of my x, being negative was her way of being positive. hence she is totally negated. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Ghiabox:
Tough choice between what I do now (drayman at LWC) or last job in a van delivering beer for a micro brewery based in Co.Durham, the latter was all over the north/mid England and some of Scotland (Edinburgh and surronding areas) some really nice views around Yorkshire (kinda miss driving around and about to Oxenhope and around bradford Keighley and funny named pubs like Dirty Dicks in Halifax) and I wish I had plucked up the courage to go have a look around the Crypt in the church at Lastingham :laughing:

But being on the main drays I get free alcohol and possibly eventually diabetes :laughing:

Cmon what’s the deal on that there Lastingham crypt dude.Intrigued? :open_mouth: