DAF Eco Score - Who's got the biggest?

Hi All,

Probably going to regret this,but just for fun, how about a small competition?

As an agency driver, I took over a DAF wagon 2 weeks ago and the “Eco Score” (probably not the correct name) was sitting at 45% when I finished last night I had worked it up to 59%:

So, first the question: Is that a poor, average or good score? 2nd, who can post a pic of a higher score?

Remember, it’s only for fun :wink:

Ken

The one I learnt to drive in had a score of 79%, no pics though sorry

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Interesting! It’ll be interesting to see where the average lies.

Does anyone know how the algorithm works? It defo seems to like rolling
and not like hard braking but what else affects the score?

These kind of scores mean nthing without comparison parameters.
That is a very poor score if you trunk up and down the motorway. Not to bad if you drag a 44 ton tanker up and down farms…

I had one that had 67% when leaving bellshill and upon arriving at Carlisle having been on cruise control for the last 110 miles was now sitting at 34%.
It’s a DAF. I wouldn’t trust anything electronic that it tells you! :laughing:

The-Snowman:
I had one that had 67% when leaving bellshill and upon arriving at Carlisle having been on cruise control for the last 110 miles was now sitting at 34%.
It’s a DAF. I wouldn’t trust anything electronic that it tells you! :laughing:

^^^
This .
I once had the misfortune to drive one from Glasgow to Carnryan . On the M8 just out of the tunnel before the Kingston bridge it decided that I was going to hit the overhead gantry and decided that a full on emergency brake would be the most appropriate course of action. Never was a glad to get out of the thing and I’ve avoided it like a stripper on crack with an STD since.

beefy4605:

The-Snowman:
It’s a DAF. I wouldn’t trust anything electronic that it tells you! [emoji38]

^^^
This .
I once had the misfortune to drive one from Glasgow to Carnryan . On the M8 just out of the tunnel before the Kingston bridge it decided that I was going to hit the overhead gantry and decided that a full on emergency brake would be the most appropriate course of action. Never was a glad to get out of the thing and I’ve avoided it like a stripper on crack with an STD since.

I’ve had one pick up a windmill blade in a field once and it activated the emergency brake. Scared the brown stuff out of me and the young girl behind me

82% is my average when i gave a toss that is. Lots of cruise control, engine brake, Anticipation and keeping the revs in the green band all play a part. Personaly I dont like the style of driving you have to do doesnt suit me . With the newer Dafs i think 66plate onwards adaptive cruise control set it will auto brake/slow down. Good for holding your speed down hill as you can use the truck in front to hold your speed but terrible if you slip into lane 2 for an overtake behind another truck/car and nearly eat the windscreen because the Drama queen Daf has detected a potential collision amd nearly causes one in the process!
Clever bit of kit but not for me I like to drive the truck not have it drive me.

stuwozere1:
Scared the brown stuff out of me and the young girl behind me

Are you sure it was that and not because she was gaffa taped and rolled up in a carpet?

Our resident know it all drives the only DAF at our branch.
He wasn’t happy when I bought it back having done a run to Glasgow with 98% on it.
Still not told him I reset it at the top of the hill and rolled it down the hill into the yard.

Too many FALSE POSITIVES on the ones i have driven it all gets turned off ECO ROLL does my fruit in as when you are cresting a hill/rise it decides that you dont need a constant power input to keep a constant happy medium
also wernt we all Discouraged from Eco rolling …ie coasting /irish overdrive etc etc because it "damaged the drivetrain " somehow i seem to remember in a daf 2800 running out of air as the compressor needed to be kept going rather than just idle oh happy days …Not…!

Dunky123:
Our resident know it all drives the only DAF at our branch.
He wasn’t happy when I bought it back having done a run to Glasgow with 98% on it.
Still not told him I reset it at the top of the hill and rolled it down the hill into the yard.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
This did make me laugh

The-Snowman:

stuwozere1:
Scared the brown stuff out of me and the young girl behind me

Are you sure it was that and not because she was gaffa taped and rolled up in a carpet?

She was a little older, and a little more stale

usersteve:
82% is my average when i gave a toss that is. Lots of cruise control, engine brake, Anticipation and keeping the revs in the green band all play a part. Personaly I dont like the style of driving you have to do doesnt suit me . With the newer Dafs i think 66plate onwards adaptive cruise control set it will auto brake/slow down. Good for holding your speed down hill as you can use the truck in front to hold your speed but terrible if you slip into lane 2 for an overtake behind another truck/car and nearly eat the windscreen because the Drama queen Daf has detected a potential collision amd nearly causes one in the process!
Clever bit of kit but not for me I like to drive the truck not have it drive me.

Absolutely disagree that is “good”.
Going downhill using the ACC my `65 plate uses service brakes rather than the engine brake or gears. May be OK with a light load on a gentle slope, but will cook up the brakes if heavy on a long or steep decline.

Exactly it has its uses but I wouldnt fully trust it. like I said i would rather drive it myself then leave it to its own devices

usersteve:
Exactly it has its uses but I wouldnt fully trust it. like I said i would rather drive it myself then leave it to its own devices

Agree with you there.
ACC has it`s uses, but anyone blindly trusting it, and not knowing how it works could be in for a rude awakening.
I did use ACC on a descent, behind a slower vehicle, to see how it worked. After a few hundred metres of using service brakes in a high gear, I decided it was a bad idea.
The hill descent does use gears and the engine brake, in a much better way, but anyone using ACC to hold off from a slower vehicle will wear and possibly overheat service brakes excessively.

Long time since I passed my test, but how relevant is the current test? How much knowledge does a student driver have about different braking systems and auto braking/speed control systems?

Very good point there. Is it part of the current test/training ■■

Since I hit 102% on rigid DAF LF (18t) I don’t believe in this anymore.

littlejay:
Since I hit 102% on rigid DAF LF (18t) I don’t believe in this anymore.

Remember not to top up the fuel tank in the future.
It`ll overflow as the truck converts exhaust gases into diesel, causing a spill.
:smiley:

I would hope that anyone relying on a computer and sensors, using such things as AEBS and ACC, to keep their vehicle a safe distance from those in front would be scored low and fail their test, if the computer has to take over then you are driving dangerously. And yes, I am aware of the sensors giving false positives and slamming on the brakes, that is out of your control and if truly you were driving appropriately for the road and traffic conditions then defect the bloody thing and refuse to drive until remedied.