Ratchet straps

Hi all. Just conducting a quick survey. How many on here have had a ratchet strap brake on them mainly through emergency braking. Just a quick yes if this has genuinley happened TIA

Never

Ditto.
Straps in good condition, correct number of them, used, no sharp edges, it shouldn’t happen.
And I’ve not heard of it happening under those conditions.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Nope.

I have only ever broken them through severe abuse ,usually trying to move big heavy things with another big heavy thing .
In most accidents the straps don’t fail they slip off, usually because something deformed.
The German version of DVSA ( BAG MAN) sometimes get a bit arsey if they cannot read the labels on straps. This is what my last company ran to , once the certificate lable couldn’t be read the straps got replaced , usually a couple of years in use .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Never had one fail on me personally but you do see shredded ones all over the roads. Like the poster above said, if you abuse them then they are more likely to fail.

No

Ask a Stobart driver.

SouthEastCashew:
Ask a Stobart driver.

With that comment I wonder if you have ever driven a wagon in your life?
I think you are nuts!

The only one I’ve had fail is when moving a cement mixer with my car and trailer. It was a big beast to be fair but the strap failed because it had chaffed on a sharp edge and with hind sight i should have known better. Other than that never.

Not personally but I’ve seen them break in extreme cases like accidents where the breaking strain has been exceeded dramatically due to the forces acting on them.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

No but I recently renewed mine when I picked up a trailer full of empty stillages and found it for once all strapped up with 13 brand new straps and handles.

The load got delivered and left at point. The straps made it into my storage box somehow by accident :laughing:

jakethesnake:

SouthEastCashew:
Ask a Stobart driver.

With that comment I wonder if you have ever driven a wagon in your life?
I think you are nuts!

Oh you must be a Stobart driver getting easily offended then you prat!!

No :question:

nope, never

The ones lying all over the road are only there because edge protection hasnt been used and they have chaffed (sp) through , in nearly 30 years i.ve never had one break, saying that it was ropes when i started , think it was a good few years before i saw straps

chaversdad:
The ones lying all over the road are only there because edge protection hasnt been used and they have chaffed (sp) through , in nearly 30 years i.ve never had one break, saying that it was ropes when i started , think it was a good few years before i saw straps

Also the ones on the road are where a twist has been required to stop vibration , but I’ll leave it at that I’ve been lectured on here before about doing that :laughing:

I have had a couple chaff through,but never outright snap.
I do know somebody who hit a lorry up the arse,while carrying steel coils.
The straps didn’t break…but the lashing points in the trailer bed did.

Yes! Through sheer neglect. Back in the mid-'80s I picked up a sealed fridge trailer to deliver to an RDC on the other side of town. Upon arrival I opened the doors and gingerly reversed down the ramp onto the bay. Just before I reached the bay all the roll-cages cascaded out onto the concrete wasting thousands of pounds of chill-produce. Ties and suits appeared from the office and tried to claim I’d been braking heavily, which I knew not to be true. I told them that the only possible reason for it had to be failure of the webbing retaining strap across the back of the load. I refused to leave the scene of the incident until I had found that strap. Sure enough, the strap I held triumphantly in the air was badly frayed and had snapped in the middle. Sheer neglect. Needless to say I was promptly sent on my way with no further ado, as I had not loaded or sealed the trailer. Robert