10 Hour Drive Time

I just wanted to check, to make sure I’m not being stupid.

Does the 2 x 10 hour drive time work across the fixed week or your own working week?

I.e if you worked Saturday though to Tuesday you could in theory do 4 10 hour drives if it resets at 00:01 Monday. Obviously without busting your 90hr fortnight.

Or am I being daft and does it follow your working week between weekly rests?

Between weekly rests

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixed week :smiley: Yes, you could do 4 back to back if 2 are in one week, and 2 in the next.

Fixed week. Yes you can do it Sat, Sun, Mon and Tue.

You can have 2 extended driving days (10 hour drives) in a fixed week Monday to Sunday.
You can have 3 reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods.

If you work Saturday to Tuesday you could have extended driving days on all 4 days because you will only have 2 in each week.

dcgpx:
Between weekly rests

Stand corrected !

tachograph:
You can have 2 extended driving days (10 hour drives) in a fixed week Monday to Sunday.

Is there any reason that the two week systems are used? It seems like an unnecessary complication to me

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, that’s what I thought but wanted to make sure.

Got Dunfermline to Tilbury and back to Bathgate so I’m going to need them.

tachograph:

If you work Saturday to Tuesday you could have extended driving days on all 4 days because you will only have 2 in each week.

Which just goes to show how much thought went into the regs, so a man starts Monday morning and it is illegal for him to do 4 back to back 10 hour drives yet a man who starts Saturday morning can do 4 back to back 10 hour drives :confused:

hazbazz:

tachograph:

Is there any reason that the two week systems are used? It seems like an unnecessary complication to me

The regulations were written by the EU commission … need I say more :grimacing:

In my opinion it would make more sense if both the extended drive days and the reduced daily rest periods were reset after a weekly rest period, who knows what they was thinking or even if they were thinking at-all.

Mazzer2:

tachograph:

Which just goes to show how much thought went into the regs, so a man starts Monday morning and it is illegal for him to do 4 back to back 10 hour drives yet a man who starts Saturday morning can do 4 back to back 10 hour drives :confused:

Crazy isn’t it :wink:

9 hours is just daft ,10 hours plus every day would be better , having said that it doesn’t mean everyone has to just because ,tin hat on aim your rockets at me :laughing: what suits one may not suit others .

Mazzer2:

That’s true, but when he’s done his Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues he can’t do another one until the following Monday - so he couldn’t do that every week.

grumpybum:

Mazzer2:

That’s true, but when he’s done his Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues he can’t do another one until the following Monday - so he couldn’t do that every week.

Agreed but my point being is that the wise people who came up with these rules probably deemed that driving 40 hours over 4 days ( or if you take 3 x 9hr breaks over 3 days) was unsafe and thereby brought in the restriction of 2 in a fixed week yet still allow you to do 4 back to back. Another example is weekend breaks start Monday morning and you can only take one 24hr break before you have to take another 45hr break, start Wednesday morning and you can do two 24hr breaks because the Monday and Tuesday before you started are counted as a 45hr break in your 2 week period, but the man starting Monday morning may have had 5 days off prior to starting yet it counts for nothing.

Mazzer2:
Another example is weekend breaks start Monday morning and you can only take one 24hr break before you have to take another 45hr break, start Wednesday morning and you can do two 24hr breaks because the Monday and Tuesday before you started are counted as a 45hr break in your 2 week period, but the man starting Monday morning may have had 5 days off prior to starting yet it counts for nothing.

Not correct. If you had sufficient time off the week before overlapping into Monday you could start on a Monday and still have 2 x 24 hour rest periods before you needed a 45 rest period.

Im happy with the 90 hrs a fortnight but id prefer it if you could drive up to 12 hrs a day say 3 times a week

chaversdad:
Im happy with the 90 hrs a fortnight but id prefer it if you could drive up to 12 hrs a day say 3 times a week

But then you’d be doing like 4/5 hours permitted driving on the other days which makes your truck and this your firm not very competitive.

And remember an aim of the regs is fair competition not just road safety…

chaversdad:

At least one of which is Friday.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Mazzer2:
Another example is weekend breaks start Monday morning and you can only take one 24hr break before you have to take another 45hr break, start Wednesday morning and you can do two 24hr breaks because the Monday and Tuesday before you started are counted as a 45hr break in your 2 week period, but the man starting Monday morning may have had 5 days off prior to starting yet it counts for nothing.

Actually the last 45 hours of that 5 day rest would count as a regular weekly rest period for the first weeks work so the driver would be able to have reduced weekly rest periods the next 2 weekends.

So it does count for something :wink:

Thought you couldn’t split breaks?

If he had 5 days off in one go as rest don’t you have to count it for one of the weeks it crosses over but not both?

Confuddled again .

Least learnt the 10hrs are between fixed week, wish I knew that earlier it would have saved me a night out cos I thought I didn’t have a 10 left [emoji45]