Calling Dr Damon

How’s it going, fella?

Oh, not so well…

theguardian.com/technology/ … uck-police

Just wait for the platooning trials to start

:smiley:

I think the car done it on purpose

He cant reply hes busy.

He had to work on the secret Salisbury Russian poisoning job before parachuting into North Korea to witness the destruction of Kim Jung Un`s nuclear site.

But he won`t be able to discuss either in detail due to the official secrets act that he signed in New Zealand, or something. :unamused:

If this forum had a ‘like’ button, I’d click it!

Gas Gas as you will know DAF have the joy of truck platooning in the UK ,I don’t think they have built the trucks yet…Phil Moon would be the man to ask

Even automated technology seems to have “must get past the truck” syndrome :laughing:

Recently the wife and I where tossing off the idea of getting a Tesla as her current ride needs a wash but on further investigation this Autopilot thingy was very off putting.

To even drive the bloody thing you have to agree to a page of small print which in a nutshell basically says Autopilot is great but don’t rely on it or you will die or at the very least get seriously injured, basically at some point your car will try and kill you, it’s the software you see it’s a bit buggy etc.

Think I’m gonna get her a Mini Countryman Hybrid jobby, 0-60 in 6.3 seconds is tasty enough.

Dipper_Dave:
Recently the wife and I where tossing off the idea of getting a Tesla as her current ride needs a wash but on further investigation this Autopilot thingy was very off putting.

To even drive the bloody thing you have to agree to a page of small print which in a nutshell basically says Autopilot is great but don’t rely on it or you will die or at the very least get seriously injured, basically at some point your car will try and kill you, it’s the software you see it’s a bit buggy etc.

Think I’m gonna get her a Mini Countryman Hybrid jobby, 0-60 in 6.3 seconds is tasty enough.

Why is a feature you don’t have to use off putting? It’s not like it’s deadly anyway with a tiny number of over reported incidents. Only people who go against Tesla advice and leave all the driving to the car are at a (small) risk… Don’t like autopilot don’t use autopilot though as a huge lover of adaptive cruise control I’d love to try autopilot

switchlogic:

Dipper_Dave:

Why is a feature you don’t have to use off putting? It’s not like it’s deadly anyway, only to people who go against Tesla advice and left all the driving to the car. Don’t like autopilot don’t use autopilot though as a huge lover of adaptive cruise control I’d love to try autopilot

Mainly because the cars for the wife and she loves to play with nobs and at this point I don’t want her to be a crash test dummy for Tesla.

Anyway what’s it got to do with you, nosey bugger. :wink:

To be fair though the main obsticle in the way is that we can’t afford either so it’s a second hand Fiesta from our local dodgy car dealership.

switchlogic:

Dipper_Dave:

Why is a feature you don’t have to use off putting? It’s not like it’s deadly anyway with a tiny number of over reported incidents. Only people who go against Tesla advice and leave all the driving to the car are at a (small) risk… Don’t like autopilot don’t use autopilot though as a huge lover of adaptive cruise control I’d love to try autopilot

I dont rate ACC very highly, but like you, Id love to go play with a Tesla.
Why wouldnt anyone want to try one? Live with one as an everyday driver? Aint got a clue whether itd work for me or not, but if Mr Musk wants to lend me one for a few years I promise Ill give it a fair go.

youtu.be/0s1fNng72Dk I think this is how its ment to work interesting watch.

I’m quite a big fan of ACC and emergency braking systems, last year it protected me from myself on a very rare road rage occasion.
Usual story a moment of total muppetry by myself after a car gave me agro and I tooted me tooter, que the brake test and me hitting the accelerator thinking “right that’s it your gonna ■■■■■■ have it now I’m up your arris like Judge Rinder after a sesh on the vodka (allegedly)”.

Anyway the bloody truck wouldn’t let me, I could have turned it off but by that point I thought it better to calm down especially as the bloke in the car was huge.

switchlogic:
Only people who go against Tesla advice and leave all the driving to the car are at a (small) risk…

This is the problem though Luke, they aren’t. They also pull in anyone unfortunate enough to be sharing their road space.
The “driver” of this Tesla told police she thought the cars emergency braking would kick in which, to me, reads as she saw the stopped cars but left it to her car to stop. And it didnt.
I’m not going down the busload of nuns or sick orphans route as I’m not that much of a drama queen but these cars are being put out there and they need to be full proof due to some peoples inability to know what it actually can and cant do.
There was a guy who sued his motor home manufacturer years ago because he went in the back to make coffee after putting his cruise control on. He sued because no one told him he needed to keep driving it. These are the types of idiots who will have these cars.
As I’ve said before, I don’t care if a drunk driver wraps his car around a pole but I care that I might be standing at that pole when he does it.

The-Snowman:
There was a guy who sued his motor home manufacturer years ago because he went in the back to make coffee after putting his cruise control on. He sued because no one told him he needed to keep driving it. These are the types of idiots who will have these cars.

Urban myth. i.e. it didn’t happen - It’s a made up story…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

The-Snowman:

Thats as maybe but do you really people there arent people out there stupid enough who think a Tesla car will take care of everything, regardless of what the manual says?

The-Snowman:

Roymondo:

The-Snowman:

Thats as maybe but do you really people there arent people out there stupid enough who think a Tesla car will take care of everything, regardless of what the manual says?

But havent stupid people always obtained (somehow!) driving licences? Many driving Teslas etc today would have passed their test in a conventional car, wouldnt they? And arent these loons better off in a Tesla than a non safety equipped car? OK, there are fools out there driving autonomous cars, but so too are there fools driving ordinary cars. Dont blame Elon Musk, blame the driving test examiners!

The-Snowman:

Roymondo:

The-Snowman:

This guy could be a cousin of the motor home guy

For any who are feeling flush and want a play…I have driven one and they are fantastic. Have a go if you can. :smiley:

teslarentals.co.uk/

jakethesnake:
For any who are feeling flush and want a play…I have driven one and they are fantastic. Have a go if you can. :smiley:

teslarentals.co.uk/

Why go spending money to rent one? Why not simply take one for a test drive?

Roymondo:

jakethesnake:

teslarentals.co.uk/

Why go spending money to rent one? Why not simply take one for a test drive?

Because a day with one to yourself is infinitely preferable to 15 minutes round the block with a salesman in the passenger seat