Why I hate rules

Last week, I asked the office about something trivial and there response was a hard and fast “company policy says” and sent me away.

Yesterday my trailer was loaded and I noticed someone had damaged the rear lens. They said it would be repaired by this morning, but it hasn’t been done. No other trailers so as “company policy says” I am now sat around (2 hours so far) waiting for a new lens.

Fighting fire with fire or fighting a losing battle?

Honked:
Last week, I asked the office about something trivial and there response was a hard and fast “company policy says” and sent me away.

Yesterday my trailer was loaded and I noticed someone had damaged the rear lens. They said it would be repaired by this morning, but it hasn’t been done. No other trailers so as “company policy says” I am now sat around (2 hours so far) waiting for a new lens.

Fighting fire with fire or fighting a losing battle?

No as that’s a MOT failure as white light will be shown , VOR trailer
You’re protecting your licence

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just playing THEIR game by THEIR rules mate I would say, so they have no grounds to complain, despite the ridiculous situation.
As I’ve said before, companies reap what they sow.
Some good firms that have been good with me in the past, I would maybe have ran with that covering the escaping white light, thus getting their load there on time,… this firm now, I would do as you have…sit and wait.
(Always assuming I was on hourly rate that is and not salary :bulb: )

Really. Just get the job done, defect it,get it fixed when you get back.

Would you vor it if it happened up the road, no you would carry on,and defect it.

And IF you did get stopped,which I very much doubt, it’s defected, so your covered, no bunnies or small kittens will get hurt,

biggriffin:

Would you vor it if it happened up the road, no you would carry on,and defect it.

And IF you did get stopped,which I very much doubt, it’s defected, so your covered, no bunnies or small kittens will get hurt,

I am sure there are managers out there that would love to discipline a driver for an unroadworthy vehicle so I don’t blame the op.

I have only been driving a year so happy to defer to the experienced guys on here but surely your idea is worst possible situation? By defecting and then taking it out you are willingly and knowingly taking a defective vehicle on the road. If the op did decide to take it surely the best defense would be it happened at last drop backing on the bay and will defect on return.

At the end of the day the op reported it the night before so the company has had more than enough time to resolve it and chosen not to. Thats their fault…

Buy yourself some red lens tape.
If you are salaried bodge it to get you moving. If you are on the hour defect it, and wait hours for repair.
Do the job to suit you.

I can’t see anyone getting deported or hung for that lens.

If your company takes that long to get a lens fitted, they aren’t that much of a company in my opinion

biggriffin:

And the most stupid answer award goes too …

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d also report the other 2 defects just to be a prick. And I’m not talking about the rusty hole in the bumper.

ezydriver:
I’d also report the other 2 defects just to be a prick. And I’m not talking about the rusty hole in the bumper.

Both need securing…

It’s an offence to use that on the road

legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989 … rt/II/made

So OP quite justified in not taking it out. Hardly his fault if his employer can’t repair it, and if anyone should be blamed it’s the person who broke it. Even the slightest problem can count against the O licence if the person carrying out the check is so minded.

I once asked a DVSA guy about a vehicle he was checking that had a rear trailer lamp in similar condition to the above. He said that he, personally, could accept that it might have been broken by flying debris on the road and would just point it out to the driver and get him to call his depot and check that a replacement was available for fitment when the truck returned.

But, the DVSA guy said, if the police saw it, they would probably give the driver a ticket.

I’d run with it.

Many companies micro manage everything these days and if company policy dictates it needs fixing before it leaves the yard so be it .
The fact that they don’t carry spare lenses is laughable .
One local company down here removes all lenses and bulbs on trailers and issues a fresh set to each driver as they collect the run paperwork .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

biggriffin:

If you got stopped and you said that to the DVSA inspector they’d not be very impressed that you’d taken it out of the yard knowing it had that defect.

If its defected and you continue to take it out you are far from covered, in fact you’ve dropped yourself in it.

robroy:
Just playing THEIR game by THEIR rules mate I would say, so they have no grounds to complain, despite the ridiculous situation.

It disgusts me when I see drivers making comments complaining when a company tries to do things properly as they should be done. There’s some real cowboys driving wagons on here and yeah robroy, you’re one of them. You’re not a professional driver or anywhere close with that attitude, you’re just another cowboy. I’d hate to have to drive the motor you use fulltime. No doubt when I got in it I’d find a list of faults a mile long that you’ve continued to drive with because in your mind as long as the wheels go round it doesn’t matter a toss, crack on drive. Wouldn’t surprise me if half the lights were out, bald or nearly bald tyres, knackered steering, loud knocking every time you went over the slightest bump…

grumpyken52:
One local company down here removes all lenses and bulbs on trailers and issues a fresh set to each driver as they collect the run paperwork .

I don’t believe that for one moment.

ezydriver:

grumpyken52:

Go ask somebody that works for Sealane out of Lydden nr Dover .
We see them every time that we go in for fuel .
All pop on seperate round lenses .

grumpyken52:

ezydriver:

grumpyken52:

Go ask somebody that works for Sealane out of Lydden nr Dover .
We see them every time that we go in for fuel .
All pop on seperate round lenses .

Are they picking up unaccompanied trailers dropped off at ports or something?

ezydriver:

grumpyken52:

Common on ferry trailer work. It’s not unusual to arrive to find the lens / bulbs missing from the trailer you’ve to collect cos someone needed them for their trailer. So if the driver removes them they can’t be pinched.

harrawaffa:

ezydriver:

grumpyken52:

Common on ferry trailer work. It’s not unusual to arrive to find the lens / bulbs missing from the trailer you’ve to collect cos someone needed them for their trailer. So if the driver removes them they can’t be pinched.

They are mostly gen haulage UK but do occasionally go abroad .
If I remember correctly the loaders remove them as the finnish them , all curtain siders and all have running heights in large letters/ numbers on the outside of the headboards.

Conor:

biggriffin:

If you got stopped and you said that to the DVSA inspector they’d not be very impressed that you’d taken it out of the yard knowing it had that defect.

If its defected and you continue to take it out you are far from covered, in fact you’ve dropped yourself in it.

robroy:

It disgusts me when I see drivers making comments complaining when a company tries to do things properly as they should be done. There’s some real cowboys driving wagons on here and yeah robroy, you’re one of them. You’re not a professional driver or anywhere close with that attitude, you’re just another cowboy. I’d hate to have to drive the motor you use fulltime. No doubt when I got in it I’d find a list of faults a mile long that you’ve continued to drive with because in your mind as long as the wheels go round it doesn’t matter a toss, crack on drive. Wouldn’t surprise me if half the lights were out, bald or nearly bald tyres, knackered steering, loud knocking every time you went over the slightest bump…

And off i go to cry my eyes out because some pompous know it all prick on a computer forum has formed an opinion on me. :unamused:
Conor mate…Whatever!

Conor:

biggriffin:

robroy:

How you get from covering a hole in a lens to prevent white light showing to that rant I don’t know, huge difference to helping out a decent employer to driving around with a lorry falling apart, on that note if they were a decent company they would have a handful of spare lenses and the driver would be trusted to replace the broken one and not treated like an idiot who cannot undo four screws.