Tramping opportunities

Hello all I am wanting some advice on companies I can apply to for class 1 tramping. I live in Gateshead but can travel 50-80 miles either direction if that helps. I have had my licence 20 years and done flatbed, curtains and box fridge work over the last 2 years. I’m on days at the minute but want to be down the road Mon-Fri. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Elddis in Conset Co Durham is the first that springs to mind

Godzilla41:
Hello all I am wanting some advice on companies I can apply to for class 1 tramping. I live in Gateshead but can travel 50-80 miles either direction if that helps. I have had my licence 20 years and done flatbed, curtains and box fridge work over the last 2 years. I’m on days at the minute but want to be down the road Mon-Fri. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Why such a short radius? If you are away. all week then a longer distance ends up no more than a reasonable commute. Two of mine live 180 and 225 miles from base. Just thinking it would give you more options and the further south you go, the better the pay usually

albion:

Godzilla41:

Why such a short radius? If you are away. all week then a longer distance ends up no more than a reasonable commute. Two of mine live 180 and 225 miles from base. Just thinking it would give you more options and the further south you go, the better the pay usually

That is a very good point but if I was thinking if I finished late on a Friday, I didn’t want a 180 mile trip home but yeah I could extend that to a 150 mile radius… Thanks

weewulliewinkie:
Elddis in Conset Co Durham is the first that springs to mind

Thanks I’ve tried them but there not taking on at the minute.

Anymore suggestions people, I’m willing to travel further a field if I have to… Any help is appreciated. Anywhere in Yorkshire, Northumberland, Durham or ■■■■■■■■
Thanks

I think Jenkinsons are looking for trampers - look on the website, could also try G A Smith at Felton, they have a few trampers too.

Geo. Allinson, Faverdale, Darlington on Indeed looking for drivers. Not as bad as some say.

I was under the impression that most class one jobs in the north east paid about minimum wage?

Beau Nydel:
Geo. Allinson, Faverdale, Darlington on Indeed looking for drivers. Not as bad as some say.

Do you work for them? I’ll have a look on indeed. Thanks

Mackem:
I think Jenkinsons are looking for trampers - look on the website, could also try G A Smith at Felton, they have a few trampers too.

I’ll have a look mate, cheers

Corners Transport in Darlington were advertising recently.

alfa man:
Corners Transport in Darlington were advertising recently.

Thanks I’ll have a look.

Not a recommendation but Downturns in Birtley are advertising.

Mickey mouse:
I was under the impression that most class one jobs in the north east paid about minimum wage?

Bang on there!!!

Ok, I’m salaried / day rated in my job, but I’m actually on more than our own trampers! Go figure…?

Many have left our place, but came back - several times too! As the grass wasn’t as green as they thought where they went to…

OK, I’m not making a fortune, but where I do save is in the drive to work… All of 6 miles. :sunglasses: And doing 4 on 4 off. :wink:

If I make it back to the yard - I go home!

I have looked at jobs further afield, but they’re just not worth the commute in my eyes - even at the 100 mile radius mark, the extra you make is swallowed up by fuel costs.

And by the time you factor in the commute time…

How much time have you actually got off? (Card out to card in time Vs Actual time spent at home)

100 / 150 mile commute is what roughly? 2hrs each way at a guess, so you’ve less that 2 full days at home on your 45hr break…

And that could be even less if you decide to go the night before your next start day to save the slog that morning…

I actually considered doing this a few months ago for a job, from Northumberland to Penrith, and by the time we worked it out, it just wasn’t worth it…

Yeah, would be lifting about £150 a week more, but that was mainly made up of ‘bonuses’, but that would (as said), be swallowed up by fuel / extra running costs on the car…

Seen RE Transport advertising on Facebook for a bulker / walking floor driver if you’re into that work. They’re based in Sedgefield.

Not sure if it’s the same job, but there’s a similar one going where all you do is run between Blaydon and the Carlisle landfills - all day every day… :confused:

Try AW Jenkinsons at Penrith. My son travels from Darlington to Penrith on a Monday or sometimes Sunday for an early start. Back Friday. He likes it and the pay is good. They seem like a good outfit from what he says.

harrawaffa:
Seen RE Transport advertising on Facebook for a bulker / walking floor driver if you’re into that work. They’re based in Sedgefield.

Yeah I’m aware of this job mate as I got offered a job there last week but rejected it as it was on the waste contract, which isn’t for me. A shame really as the boss and the TM seemed spot on, decent kit and decent pay.

cheekymonkey:
Try AW Jenkinsons at Penrith. My son travels from Darlington to Penrith on a Monday or sometimes Sunday for an early start. Back Friday. He likes it and the pay is good. They seem like a good outfit from what he says.

I’ll have a look when I get a chance, thanks