Deliberate misinformation?

stevieboy308:

Sidevalve:

the maoster:
Our lot insist on 30 mins too. They know and accept that 15 is adequate but it’s their train set and they pay all breaks, so who am I to argue?

There’s a bit of logic in it actually. One of the biggest mistakes drivers make when not doing many actual driving hours but are nevertheless on a long shift, is to overlook the sum total of WTD breaks required and inadvertantly end up going over 9 hours worked with only 15 minutes break. Easily done if you’re just hanging about.

There’s nothing wrong with working over 9 hours on only a 15, so long as you haven’t worked more than 6 hours at any point without a break and you have 45 in total of qualifying breaks before you finish

Work 6
Break 15
Work 6
Break 15
Work 2:14
Break 15
Work 1 min

That’s the extreme example of what you can do whilst single crewed

Our driver trainers advise same but the company don’t nag us if we don’t.

You’ve posted that a bit wrong Stevie, makes it look like I said what you’re saying… but it does reinforce my point. You have to be well on the ball to maximise working hours whilst minimising breaks, and in the real world it’s far too easy to forget and cop for an infringement; especially if you’re doing other work and not sat at the wheel with a clock under your nose all the time.