Falkland Islands.

Just had a chat with a mate, he said he’s seen an advert in a truck magazine for an eight-wheel tipper driver for six months in the Falkland Islands, starting sometime early Autumn and he’s thinking about it.

Anyone done this, have any advice etc?

Not truck driving in the falklands but I have worked there installing refrigeration and heat pumps. If he gets the job it will be good. I met a lot of people who had temp contracts in various roles and all loved it too. You get well looked after, only downside is the getting there. Only way in was from RAF brize norton, may have changed since. He should certainly apply for it in my opinion.

UKtramp:
Not truck driving in the falklands but I have worked there installing refrigeration and heat pumps. If he gets the job it will be good. I met a lot of people who had temp contracts in various roles and all loved it too. You get well looked after, only downside is the getting there. Only way in was from RAF brize norton, may have changed since. He should certainly apply for it in my opinion.

So little or…

No relevance to the origional post then.

It’s Brize Norton with capital letters! :unamused:

bloody long way to go to earn £9 ph :open_mouth:

Are there any nights out involved?

Wish I’d had a tipper last time I was there! :imp:

yourhavingalarf:

UKtramp:

So little or…

My reply is more relevant than your’s to be fair. :unamused:

yourhavingalarf:

UKtramp:

So little or…

:bulb: I just love the spelling and grammar police. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And I agree with UKtramp about relevance, so maybe have a read of the forum rule on random crap?
Just a thought. :wink:

All i remember about the falklands is its wet cold and windy was there on 2005 for 6 months.Would i go as a civvy not to sure but would like to see the job advert.

I know Harry likes his biscuits but somehow think the “friend” Harry refers to isn’t Dozy :wink:

A good pal of mine gets to go there as he is a navy trainer ,He says in one day you can get all four seasons :grimacing: .
But it is a great place …

dieseldave:
And I agree with UKtramp about relevance, so maybe have a read of the forum rule on random crap?

Point taken…

I don’t claim to be the grammar police, if I did I’d put ‘Grammar Police Alert’ at the start of grammar alerts.

What I have pointed out is a fundamental mistake involving the non-capitalisation of a town name. Something a very qualified fridge engineer should be able to master.

It was the moderators who originally pointed out on that Mr Tramp is a liar and a fraud. They now have appear to have forgotten that fact. In another thread, Mr Tramp being was given ample opportunity to explain how he could possibly have taken a photograph of himself from 15 feet away, he chose not to. He lies about ignoring my posts.

Just a thought :wink:

Some of our guys there a couple of years ago for a month or so. Bit like a northern Scottish small town apparently.
If the money’s right…

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

I have a friend, no really I do. He goes to the Falklands a couple of times a year, he flies from bronze norton to collect rock samples and take measurements, he has retired as a seismologist and geological surveyor but keeps his hand in plus him and his wife get a free walking holiday.

A family friend worked down there for almost 2 years . If you enjoy a quieter laid back lifestyle and enjoy the big outdoors you will love it . She says it really gets under your skin .
The Aircraft flights from Brize Norton are very much in demand .
There is another way to fly but it’s via Barcelona Spain, Tierra Del Fuego then Stanley and takes about 36hrs and an overnight stay in Del Fuego and it’s not exactly cheap !
Fresh fruit is scarce and expensive , as is all but basic salad and veg . Internet is expensive .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The flight from RAF Brize Norton is not a direct flight, refuel at the Ascension Islands, and if the aircraft breaks down, there is time to scuba dive or swim with the giant sea turtles .

Firm I used to do a bit for had some guys go down there on civil engineering job,one of them decided he didn’t like it n wanted to come home early…tough luck was the offices reply,go down stay down till it’s done!
Firm from Southampton way used to do civil engineering work on Falklands.

yourhavingalarf:

dieseldave:

Point taken…

I don’t claim to be the grammar police, if I did I’d put ‘Grammar Police Alert’ at the start of grammar alerts.

What I have pointed out is a fundamental mistake involving the non-capitalisation of a town name. Something a very qualified fridge engineer should be able to master.

It was the moderators who originally pointed out on that Mr Tramp is a liar and a fraud. They now have appear to have forgotten that fact. In another thread, Mr Tramp being was given ample opportunity to explain how he could possibly have taken a photograph of himself from 15 feet away, he chose not to. He lies about ignoring my posts.

Just a thought :wink:

you seem to have either misread or you are totally confused. I do not consider anything you say as me having any need to myself giving ample opportunity nor do I need to verify myself to you. Take heed of Dave’s warning because you have certainly exhausted your warnings by a long shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynchy:
Firm I used to do a bit for had some guys go down there on civil engineering job,one of them decided he didn’t like it n wanted to come home early…tough luck was the offices reply,go down stay down till it’s done!
Firm from Southampton way used to do civil engineering work on Falklands.

Sounds like good life advice:
Go down,
Stay down,
Until the job’s done!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I spent 4 months there in 1991, I enjoyed it, cheap booze in the police club and plenty of police work. :wink: