Failed my class 1 [emoji53]

Just curious how many of you guys passed the first time?.

So I got 2 minor faults. One was for observation (missing a blind spot check) and one was for vehicle positioning on approach to a roundabout.

I was almost on the home stretch when I approached a cyclist plodding along at walking distance in the middle of the road. It was safe to overtake him and he wasn’t exactly making progress ( I could have walked faster than that fat ■■■■■■■ was cycling).

Anyway I overtook Him. As he was in the middle of the road and not towards the left of the road I basically got failed for being too close to him… Even though I was 100% on the other side of the road. So what do you do? Stay behind him and not make progress? Aka Undue hesitation and fail or overtake the idiot cycling right in the middle of the road making it difficult to pass.

They should stick to the path (as ironically there was a public footpath at the side the road)

Bloody cyclists…

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Obviously your opinion of the cyclist and what you deemed to be OK was not the same as the examiners,now it will cost you money for a re-test

I failed my first time in 1995, can’t remember what for but it shouldn’t have been a fail according to my instructor. Kicked off on the wrong foot after they had double booked the test time so my instructor rang the examiners boss who in turn rang the examiner and told him he had to take me as we’d booked the time first.
Obviously the examiner was in a foul mood so I think I was doomed from the start.
The boss took me second time and passed me even though my drive wasn’t as good as the first I felt.
Anyway, don’t be put off, all the best drivers pass second time!

4yorks:

So I got 2 minor faults. One was for observation (missing a blind spot check) and one was for vehicle positioning on approach to a roundabout.

I was almost on the home stretch when I approached a cyclist plodding along at walking distance in the middle of the road. It was safe to overtake him and he wasn’t exactly making progress ( I could have walked faster than that fat [zb] was cycling).

Anyway I overtook Him. As he was in the middle of the road and not towards the left of the road I basically got failed for being too close to him… Even though I was 100% on the other side of the road. So what do you do? Stay behind him and not make progress? Aka Undue hesitation and fail or overtake the idiot cycling right in the middle of the road making it difficult to pass.

They should stick to the path (as ironically there was a public footpath at the side the road)

Bloody cyclists…

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

According to the Highway Code the max fine for cyling on the footpath (illegal, BTW) is £500. Sounds as if you were twixt the devil and the deep blue sea there. However, we’d have to have been sitting alongside you and observing every detail that the examiner did to comment meaningfully on this one.

PS You might get some answers by posting this thread on the Wannabe Drivers’ forum :wink:

Robert

Passed 3 time first time I failed went to close to a cyclist.Second time I failed stop on a double yellow line to do a hill
To do a hill start.Passed next time ask to stop in safe place to do gear change excise I didn’t stop examiner
ask why I didn’t stop explains why and he says next time he wants me to stop pull up in 100yards on left .

Not even got his license and still blaming a cyclist? I like it!
You’ve all the makings of a proper hgv driver. Nail the next test and welcome to the club. You’ll fit right in! :laughing: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:

4yorks:

Bloody cyclists…

According to the Highway Code the max fine for cyling on the footpath (illegal, BTW) is £500.

Police are deliberately choosing to ignore cyclists on a footpath if pedestrians are not inconvenienced in Leicester as it is deemed SAFER

They think the laws need a revamp on this issue

4yorks:
So what do you do? Stay behind him and not make progress? Aka Undue hesitation and fail or overtake the idiot cycling right in the middle of the road making it difficult to pass.

I understand that you’re frustrated because it cost you a pass but if you got unnecessarily too close to a vulnerable road user the examiner was right to fail you.

To be honest it’s a bit worrying that someone who wants to drive large vehicles thinks it’s wrong to have to stay behind a slower road user :frowning:

The cyclist shouldn’t have been in the middle of the road but part of the skill/aptitude of driving is having the patients to deal with other road users in a safe manner, by getting too close to the cyclist you failed to show that you have an aptitude to drive large vehicles safely on public roads.

4yorks:

As has already been said it’s illegal to ride a bicycle on a pavement and while I think it’s right that some leeway should be given where there’s no chance of cyclists hitting pedestrians I hope it stays illegal to ride a bike on a pavement.

The small percentage of cyclists I see who have no regard for other road users would create havoc and danger for pedestrians and especially children if they were allowed to legally ride on pavements that don’t have a dedicated cycling lane.

Anyway better luck next time :wink:

In answer to your question car, bike, class 2 and class 1 first time.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

tachograph:
The cyclist shouldn’t have been in the middle of the road but part of the skill/aptitude of driving is having the patients to deal with other road users in a safe manner, by getting too close to the cyclist you failed to show that you have an aptitude to drive large vehicles safely on public roads.

I’m not saying you are wrong - as you have more experience than I’ll probably ever have.

But I’ve recently taken up motorcycling. And I do a bit of cycling. And I’ll sometimes choose to go in the middle of the lane as I feel it’s safer… It’s aimed to stop plonkers forcing past me when it’s not appropriate, or if there is an obstruction ahead, or even if I’m getting ready to turn right. Sometimes it’s so I have a better view around a corner, or because the road surface is better.

I can’t comment on the OP’s case - but if I saw a bike (either peddle or motorized) in the middle of the road I’d be asking why and hanging back. Rather than getting past them as quickly as possible.

My views might be naive due to my lack of experience and also due to me still being a bit nervous and cautious on a bike.

Yes you stay behind and be patient till it is completely safe to overtake. You cannot make progress unless it is safe to do so!

Maybe your attitude towards cyclists needs to improve before youe second test. :laughing:

sammym:

tachograph:

I’m not saying you are wrong - as you have more experience than I’ll probably ever have.

But I’ve recently taken up motorcycling. And I do a bit of cycling. And I’ll sometimes choose to go in the middle of the lane as I feel it’s safer… It’s aimed to stop plonkers forcing past me when it’s not appropriate, or if there is an obstruction ahead, or even if I’m getting ready to turn right. Sometimes it’s so I have a better view around a corner, or because the road surface is better.

I can’t comment on the OP’s case - but if I saw a bike (either peddle or motorized) in the middle of the road I’d be asking why and hanging back. Rather than getting past them as quickly as possible.

My views might be naive due to my lack of experience and also due to me still being a bit nervous and cautious on a bike.

It would be strange if you wouldn’t ride motorbike in the middle of the road as there is no reason to do this, it’s like driving car on the side of the road…

milesahead:

sammym:

tachograph:

It would be strange if you wouldn’t ride motorbike in the middle of the road as there is no reason to do this, it’s like driving car on the side of the road…

If I want to look around to see what’s around a corner on country roads I’ll go to the side, if I’m going to be turning left I’ll go to the side of the road. And if it’s a wide single carriageway road and someone wants to push on I’ll generally move over to make life easier for them and safer for me.

I only passed my bike test a couple of weeks ago. And I’m not very confident yet. I only use the motorbike for fun in the sun and don’t mind taking it easy. If someone else is in a rush I let them get away from me as I don’t need someone hassling me when I’m meant to be enjoying myself.

You obviously have no idea about traveling on two wheels yet you are supposedly a qualified lorry driver. Scary scary I would say.

You could have waited behind the cyclist I’m sure he would have ■■■■■■ off eventually! You’ll remember him/her when you get sent in to London for the 1st time and they are coming at you left, right and centre.

4yorks:

Car, class 2, class 1 - all first time.

jakethesnake:
You obviously have no idea about traveling on two wheels yet you are supposedly a qualified lorry driver. Scary scary I would say.

You’ll need to explain that one.
Hes a qualified lorry driver yet its scary he has no idea about travelling on two wheels? Not seeing how the two are related to be honest

The-Snowman:

jakethesnake:

Hes a qualified lorry driver yet its scary he has no idea about travelling on two wheels? Not seeing how the two are related to be honest

Doh, any decent LGV driver or even a car driver would surely know the problems two wheel riders have? ie negotiating potholes etc. It’s even mentioned in the Highway Code believe it or not.

Motorcycle at 16 first time, Car at 17 first time, class1 at 21 first time, but then tests were a whole lot easier back then ! probably couldnt pass a test nowadays…too many bad habits :slight_smile:

jakethesnake:

The-Snowman:

jakethesnake:

Doh, any decent LGV driver or even a car driver would surely know the problems two wheel riders have? ie negotiating potholes etc. It’s even mentioned in the Highway Code believe it or not.

Jakethesnake… are you a lorry driver■■?