Scope

Good evening and a jolly good day to you all, is there any body that knows what is classed as out of scope,if I take the unit home at weekends is that indeed out of scope, thank you all

malcolmgbell:
Good evening and a jolly good day to you all, is there any body that knows what is classed as out of scope,if I take the unit home at weekends is that indeed out of scope, thank you all

As far as I know,and I’m no expert,it’s generally domestic etc

The words “can of worms” spring to mind .
I used to in the eighties but now there will be a raft of legal to say no in one form or another.
Wait for one of those that knows the rules to appear…

out of scope is work to which the domestic regs apply

You can take a 7.5T home for personal use and set it to out of scope, but for anything bigger / for a unit you’ll need to use the tacho even for personal weekend use. You can’t drive it during a rest period

Basket:

You can take a 7.5T home for personal use and set it to out of scope, but for anything bigger / for a unit you’ll need to use the tacho even for personal weekend use. You can’t drive it during a rest period

So, if when I am on holiday/between jobs and I hire an 18t truck to move myself, i would have to use my tacho card? Just asking cause this might apply to me in the not to distant future.

madmackem:

Basket:

So, if when I am on holiday/between jobs and I hire an 18t truck to move myself, i would have to use my tacho card? Just asking cause this might apply to me in the not to distant future.

You’ll struggle to find anyone who will give you a vehicle over 7.5t without you having an O licence.

Using the artic unit for personal use after doing a shift means that it is not being used commercially so IMO that is not under any EU or UK domestic regs

Would need to be covered by insurance and have the owners permission to use it out of scope though because the mileage would need to be accounted for

I am prepared to be informed otherwise but I THINK I have said it correctly :question:

harrawaffa:

madmackem:

Basket:

You’ll struggle to find anyone who will give you a vehicle over 7.5t without you having an O licence.

I’m on about hiring one from a hire company, whether that is a 18t or a 7.5t. I wouldn’t need an O licence for that…

madmackem:

harrawaffa:

madmackem:

Basket:

I’m on about hiring one from a hire company, whether that is a 18t or a 7.5t. I wouldn’t need an O licence for that…

I know. In today’s political / religious climate vehicle rental firms are not very forthcoming in handing over 18 ton trucks to Joe Public without them having an O licence.

ROG:
Using the artic unit for personal use after doing a shift means that it is not being used commercially so IMO that is not under any EU or UK domestic regs

Only applies if <7.5T, surely, since 2007? I appreciate that this doesn’t really make sense with a unit though given that you can’t carry goods in it

Basket:

ROG:

Only applies if <7.5T, surely, since 2007? I appreciate that this doesn’t really make sense with a unit though given that you can’t carry goods in it

Article 1 = vehicles used for the carriage of goods by road = artic unit cannot be used for that on its own :question:

Having worked for Dawson rentals in the past I know that they will not hire any vehicle to anyone without an O licence.

ROG:

Would need to be covered by insurance and have the owners permission to use it out of scope though because the mileage would need to be accounted for

I am prepared to be informed otherwise but I THINK I have said it correctly :question:

As I understand it the 2007 exemption is based on gross weight.

In April 2007, the European Union introduced a new piece of legislation on drivers’ hours which also included the exemption for personal use, but made it more restrictive in that the non-commercial element of that provision only now extends to vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight.”

So I would take from that the personal use exemption of a tractor unit would come down to whether it actually weighs 7.5 tonnes or less.

I’m struggling to find anything in black-and-white, but all the similar exceptions refer to a maximum gross weight of 7.5T. I think I personally wouldn’t do this without seeking clarification tbh

Thanks

…are you referring to the fact that the vehicle has to be parked at the operating centre when not in use? i.e. would you have to register your home as an additional operating centre?

ROG:

Basket:

ROG:

Article 1 = vehicles used for the carriage of goods by road = artic unit cannot be used for that on its own :question:

Of course it can, I’ve had pallet trucks strapped on the cat walk, seen pics of a car sat on top of the 5th wheel!

I don’t believe it’d make any difference any way

Out of scope, is out of scope of the EU regs, that’ll usually mean you then come under GB domestic regs.

At the beginning of GV262 there’s a list of exemptions and derogations from the EU regs, if you meet the criteria of 1, then you can run out of scope

Driving a unit home, is in scope, so basically just the same as being at work, as the personal use exemption is for upto 7.5t

I have just done my tacho refresher …The instructor was ex DVSA started of as a red coat ad worked his way up through the system seemed to know his stuff ,He did mention out of scope ,not a thing that I care about as I only calibrate /repair them…And next june the new tacho is out that DVSA can download remotely …I did point out our irish friends have probably already sussed a blocker or a way to send a I’m legal signal lol…Lets say he laughed and didn’t disagree …When approved we will need to get new equiptment for calibrating them including a tool that can check it can be checked by DVSA remotely but I digress

From what he said about Out of Scope …If you are in a quarry all day ie off road then Out of Scope is ok …But if you then go on the main road you come under regs ,if you then go back in the quarry you are still under regs and can not go back to Out of Scope…So in a days work according to him you cant go out of scope to normal driving on the highway then back to out of scope

norb:
I have just done my tacho refresher …The instructor was ex DVSA started of as a red coat ad worked his way up through the system seemed to know his stuff ,He did mention out of scope ,not a thing that I care about as I only calibrate /repair them…And next june the new tacho is out that DVSA can download remotely …I did point out our irish friends have probably already sussed a blocker or a way to send a I’m legal signal lol…Lets say he laughed and didn’t disagree …When approved we will need to get new equiptment for calibrating them including a tool that can check it can be checked by DVSA remotely but I digress

From what he said about Out of Scope …If you are in a quarry all day ie off road then Out of Scope is ok …But if you then go on the main road you come under regs ,if you then go back in the quarry you are still under regs and can not go back to Out of Scope…So in a days work according to him you cant go out of scope to normal driving on the highway then back to out of scope

That’s true for drivers who don’t meet the criteria of an exemption or derogation of the EU regs.

It used to be if a journey was made completely off road, then it was out of scope, ie, deliver to a quarry, you’re in scope on the quarry till you’ve tipped the load, if you then loaded up and tipped it at the other side of the quarry, then as that journey was all off road it was out of scope, then back in scope once tipped, but that is no longer the case.

If you meet the criteria of an exemption or derogation, then you could go in and out of out of scope during the day