I Met A Real Bloke From The Regiment

Company I sub for have an MOD contract.

Today I got to deliver some insulation (of all things!) to Sterling Lines.

As is normal for an MOD base, I sign in at the gatehouse and am told to wait for my ■■■■■■.

There’s a bloke at the next window thing at the desk renewing his gate pass.

As I’m handing over my phone and the PDA we use (because both have cameras), the very nice lady informs me that if I try to get on the base without my ■■■■■■, I’m liable to be shot by the police guarding the gate.

At this, the bloke at the next window turns to me and says ‘Don’t worry mate, they’d only miss, those coppers couldn’t hit a barn door with a cows arse!’

drew30:

As is normal for an MOD base, I sign in at the gatehouse and am told to wait for my ■■■■■■.

As I’m handing over my phone and the PDA we use (because both have cameras), the very nice lady informs me that if I try to get on the base without my ■■■■■■, I’m liable to be shot by the police guarding the gate.

At this, the bloke at the next window turns to me and says ‘Don’t worry mate, they’d only miss, those coppers couldn’t hit a barn door with a cows arse!’

Fascinating.

Regale us with more.

So, what colour are the boathouse doors?

GasGas:
So, what colour are the boathouse doors?

Ronin?

Well the lady is a buffoon. :laughing:

Is that a true story, if so its amazing

If you saw it , What’s written on the Clocktower ?

3 wheeler:
If you saw it , What’s written on the Clocktower ?

The SAS are not based here?

Guy I work with was 7th para RHA and did 22 years, has told me about this clocktower (near a field they use for sports?) I’m sure he went further than the RHA (knows the RSM and a few of his mates were in or are still in) daren’t ask him though incase I vanish!

Thought it was moved there from the old barracks “The golden road to Samarkand” written on it from the book .

Just reading Operation Certain Death,the Sierra Leone sas rescue mission in cahoots with 1para.Highly recommended tbh.Not really an sf groupie per se but theres much to learn about life in extremes of combat that enrich and inspire I reckon.My favourite has to be_Eye of the storm from Pete Radcliffe,the only NCO to relieve an officer of his command in the field,Iraq in this case.He grew up in Manchester,went to borstal for thieving and after 10 or so years with the blades,retired into the RCT as a Captain.

manalishi:
Just reading Operation Certain Death,the Sierra Leone sas rescue mission in cahoots with 1para.Highly recommended tbh.Not really an sf groupie per se but theres much to learn about life in extremes of combat that enrich and inspire I reckon.My favourite has to be_Eye of the storm from Pete Radcliffe,the only NCO to relieve an officer of his command in the field,Iraq in this case.He grew up in Manchester,went to borstal for thieving and after 10 or so years with the blades,retired into the RCT as a Captain.

Just ordered this book from amazon. I’m sure I’ve seen a film based on this event but can’t remember what it was called.
I read the amazon customer reviews and one caught my eye…wonder which RDC this guy is at today [emoji23]

TheUncaringCowboy:

drew30:

Fascinating.

Regale us with more.

Made me laugh anyway. No need for the negativity mate. If you’re not interested just don’t reply

sent using smoke signals