Overlenght lorries

I saw this lorry today ,with the back doors strapped open in order to fit the equipment he was carrying in the trailer,I was just wandering,is it legal to do this?
I wouldn’t like to drive it,to be honest

Yes it’s legal.

perfectly legal though obviously dependant on the length of the overhang…crack on drive :slight_smile:

Overhang is legal, it’s how much and how it’s marked up!

Wheel Nut:

Just tie a hi-viz vest on the back and crack on seems to be the common method.

Conor:

Wheel Nut:

Just tie a hi-viz vest on the back and crack on seems to be the common method.

A hi-vis covers a multitude of eventualities Conor you know that .

Sploom:
I saw this lorry today ,with the back doors strapped open in order to fit the equipment he was carrying in the trailer,I was just wandering,is it legal to do this?
I wouldn’t like to drive it,to be honest

And why would’nt you like to drive it?.Its hardly much of an overhang from the ones i’ve seen.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We were loading lengths of steel out of BSC Tata Whatever’s place, 1 metre overhang and we got a small piece of clear polythene and some sellotape to keep it dry [emoji23]

I used drive flatbed occasionally used carry long bits of steel that used overhang back of lorry by 1m . Just tied a hi viz on the end never got stopped or had any issues . If i had the space used to angle it up over the head board behind the cab roof so didn’t overhang the back

Up to 1m no marking required, up to 2m must be marked. Doesn’t say how, so hi viz is fine.

No different to overhang on a flat. Just remember to strap the doors so they dont flap.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

xichrisxi:
Yes it’s legal.

How can you be so sure without seeing it?

jakethesnake:

xichrisxi:
Yes it’s legal.

His posts asks if it’s legal to travel with the back doors strapped open,Yes it is.

xichrisxi:

jakethesnake:

xichrisxi:
Yes it’s legal.

His posts asks if it’s legal to travel with the back doors strapped open,Yes it is.

It really all depends on the way they are strapped whether it is legal or not. There have been drivers charged for not have them held back securely just fyi and consequently NOT legal.

jakethesnake:
It really all depends on the way they are strapped whether it is legal or not. There have been drivers charged for not have them held back securely just fyi and consequently NOT legal.

Do you know any? Or is it a case of repeating something you once heard? Seriously I’d be interested in seeing evidence of it.

edd1974:
I used drive flatbed occasionally used carry long bits of steel that used overhang back of lorry by 1m . Just tied a hi viz on the end never got stopped or had any issues . If i had the space used to angle it up over the head board behind the cab roof so didn’t overhang the back

Was it heavy steel? I’ve carted proper steel over the headboard, but with a proper bolster, otherwise it can be a killer. Fair enough though if it was only light stuff.

jakethesnake:

xichrisxi:

jakethesnake:

xichrisxi:
Yes it’s legal.

The question states IS IT LEGAL TO TRAVEL WITH THE DOORS STRAPPED OPEN…yes it is legal to travel with the doors strapped open ffs.

Like taking to a brick wall.

Really Mr arrogance, It is only legal if they are secure and without seeing and checking them you would not know that. FFS. :unamused: Stop being an arrogant ■■■■. :unamused:

jakethesnake:
Really Mr arrogance, It is only legal if they are secure and without seeing and checking them you would not know that. FFS. :unamused: Stop being an arrogant [zb]. :unamused:

Tbf mate, how many methods of strapping back doors open, other than chuck a strap over the roof taking in the doors and tightening up… do you know. :neutral_face:

robroy:

jakethesnake:
Really Mr arrogance, It is only legal if they are secure and without seeing and checking them you would not know that. FFS. :unamused: Stop being an arrogant [zb]. :unamused:

Tbf mate, how many methods of strapping back doors open, other than chuck a strap over the roof taking in the doors and tightening up… do you know. :neutral_face:

He might have a special way only the keyboard knows :wink:

robroy:

jakethesnake:

You would be surprised some of the methods I have seen over the years lol but tbf I just did not like the attitude. Probably caught me on a bad day! :blush: