A1 closed N Yorks

A fire broke out on the A1 in North Yorkshire after a car transporter and a refrigerated lorry collided.

Police, fire service and ambulance crews are at the scene on the northbound carriageway between junction 50 and 51 near Baldersby.

Both lorries were on fire in a “significant incident” but have been extinguished said the fire service.

The northbound carriageway is expected to be closed for most of the day and diversions are in place, said police.

More on this story and others from Yorkshire

The crash happened just after 07:00 BST between junction 50 for the A61 and Junction 51 Leeming Bar.

A diversion is in place at junction 49 and Highways England recommends traffic for the north east should use the A168/A19.

Drivers stuck directly behind the incident are being turned back said Highways England meaning the road is closed currently at junction 49.

The stuck drivers are being advised to stay with their vehicles and not to move unless told to do so by officers.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo … e-44208361

I have a photo of said incident. But out of respect for the Turners driver i am not going to post it. Its Gruesome to say the least.

obviously not t/ net drivers ( bar me ) as the fire brigade had to put the fire out :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

Seen the video earlier on Facebook. Turners fridge ran into the rear of a transporter sitting on the hard shoulder and caught fire.

The only thing I can add is that the driver wouldn’t have known a thing about it, mercifully.

Cosmic:
The only thing I can add is that the driver wouldn’t have known a thing about it, mercifully.

Bad as it sounds I hope he was on his phone or fallen asleep and that your right and he didn’t know anything

RIP

Hope the transporter driver hadn’t just stopped for a p1ss [emoji17]

RIP.

nomiS36:
Hope the transporter driver hadn’t just stopped for a p1ss [emoji17]

RIP.

I hope he had - and wasn’t in it at the time - it looks horrific

One of our drivers went past going south and even with the boards up he says you could see that the car transporter trailer is imbedded about 4 pallets deep into the Turners trailer. :neutral_face: It may sound a bit sick but thankfully I’m guessing the driver wouldn’t have known anything of it and died stright away and not had to suffer burning to death in the resulting inferno. RIP drive.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
One of our drivers went past going south and even with the boards up he says you could see that the car transporter trailer is imbedded about 4 pallets deep into the Turners trailer. :neutral_face: It may sound a bit sick but thankfully I’m guessing the driver wouldn’t have known anything of it and died stright away and not had to suffer burning to death in the resulting inferno. RIP drive.

Cars must have rammed into the transporter cab you’d think

My dad drives for them and cant get a hold of him and the depot is not saying much does anybody know what the unit was or used to be

Colin_scottish:
My dad drives for them and cant get a hold of him and the depot is not saying much does anybody know what the unit was or used to be

Our driver that went past said there was nothing left of the transporter and it’s trailer and nothing left of the other truck apart from the back end of the trailer. Praying your dad is safe and sound Colin but surely Turners have a duty of care to let you know who’s truck was involved?

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Colin_scottish:

Our driver that went past said there was nothing left of the transporter and it’s trailer and nothing left of the other truck apart from the back end of the trailer. Praying your dad is safe and sound Colin but surely Turners have a duty of care to let you know who’s truck was involved?

The probs is if its not his they wont say but im going to take a run up to the office and have a face to face i know most of the drivers in the depot.

R.I.P to the driver involved.

Colin_scottish:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Colin_scottish:

The probs is if its not his they wont say but im going to take a run up to the office and have a face to face i know most of the drivers in the depot.

Not my dad hes fine and down the road hes on nights.I do know who the driver is.

Glad your dads ok.

Condolences to the drivers family RIP

Bad situation all round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A kid on Twitter has said that he went past at about 7am this morning and the car transporter was in lane one with its hazard lights on and he had to pull out to avoid it.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
A kid on Twitter has said that he went past at about 7am this morning and the car transporter was in lane one with its hazard lights on and he had to pull out to avoid it.

You can see for miles ahead of you on that stretch of the A1 so something horrible has happened to the turner’s driver at the wheel :confused: condolences with the family at a sad time.

Touch wood I’ve not seen anything like this with my own eyes, got to feel sorry for the people who witnessed it’ nothing they can do to help :frowning:

SouthEastCashew:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

You can see for miles ahead of you on that stretch of the A1 so something horrible has happened to the turner’s driver at the wheel :confused: condolences with the family at a sad time.

There is also hard shoulder available on that stretch, so it begs the question as to why this car transporter wasn’t in it? :confused:

Surely no vehicle failure is so catastrophic that you cannot get onto the shoulder? Regardless of this it’s a terrible incident and it’s yet another driver not making it home :frowning: RIP Drive.