O Dear.....Fuel contamination at Reading svcs HGV pumps

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-44170218

Easy to say but is there not a different smell between diesel and petrol?

I suppose you take it for granted that when you are fuelling at an HGV diesel pump, diesel will come out?! I had heard that some petrol doesn’t harm, especially if you didn’t start engine and topped up with diesel, used a few litres then kept topping up with diesel, say at every services. Time consuming but better than damage to engine or waiting for tank to be drained and refilled, but where did they get fuel from to refill tank?

Hope the affected hauliers were well compensated!

Cant claim to be a engine expert by anyones imagination, but i believe the old school starting trucks with petrol wont work these days.

Found this article which explains what happens in car engines so presumably similar in modern trucks, but without the adblue stuff.

greenflag.com/breakdown-cov … at-happens

In essence it knackers the fuel pump, then the seals and finally the injectors. Could be a tad expensive for MOTO.

As for smell, I never really notice it these days except if it gets on your hands. Plus the colour seems to vary.

Be interesting if they put red diesel in the white diesel tanks where its sold…oops. :slight_smile:

Does anyone know. Why when I fill up with diesel. Sometimes it’s looks white/clear other days it seems to a little bit green?

edd1974:
Does anyone know. Why when I fill up with diesel. Sometimes it’s looks white/clear other days it seems to a little bit green?

It’s the same as blowing ones nose really.

bobbya:

edd1974:

Good point… if it comes out red, you’ve got a problem! :grimacing:

Sidevalve:

bobbya:

edd1974:

Good point… if it comes out red, you’ve got a problem! :grimacing:

Very good

RIPPER:
Petrol and diesel mixed up at M4 Reading Services - BBC News

Mr Tony Jones talking ■■■■■■■■ then, “my engine will still be damaged after BP drained it.”

I wouldn’t say it’s looking good for Hoyer they are are already on a warning over the amount of cross overs they have had

I remember having a cavalier that ran on 4 star petrol then unleaed came along I was worried it might damage the engine