Looking into buying a 3 yr old van

how can i check the mileage is genuine if its not yet had an mot ? whats a sign of genuineness? im asking because after casting my eye over the small ads seems to be a real lot of “motorway roadworks” types with a lotta miles [100k ish] quite high prices but then now see a really low miler [30k]but look bit scruffy for sale by a dealer well below average price .its 1st mot was due last sept but it still hasnt had one , whats the scam if anyone can give their insight id be obliged.

corij:
how can i check the mileage is genuine if its not yet had an mot ? whats a sign of genuineness? im asking because after casting my eye over the small ads seems to be a real lot of “motorway roadworks” types with a lotta miles [100k ish] quite high prices but then now see a really low miler [30k]but look bit scruffy for sale by a dealer well below average price .its 1st mot was due last sept but it still hasnt had one , whats the scam if anyone can give their insight id be obliged.

The service history should add up and look correct and I always find the driver’s seat to be a a good indicator, look for misshapen bases, bolsters sagging and general wear. Same with gear knobs, steering wheels, pedals, buttons that are often used. If they’re worn away it’s probably done more than 30k.

Having not had its MOT in more than 6 months would be a red flag for me.

If it’s too good to be true…

TheUncaringCowboy:

corij:

The service history should add up and look correct and I always find the driver’s seat to be a a good indicator, look for misshapen bases, bolsters sagging and general wear. Same with gear knobs, steering wheels, pedals, buttons that are often used. If they’re worn away it’s probably done more than 30k.

Not being. MOT’d should not really be a concern. A company has probably owned the vehicle for the 3 years whilst under warranty. It’s then most likely gone to auction and been sold to a dealer. And is now sitting on his forecourt.

He’s not going to mot it until he sells it for it to sit there with an MOT that is loosing time on it.

I’d rather have a 3 year old with 100,000 motorway miles than a 3 year old with 30,000 driving around town miles and in fact my last Mondeo was 3 years old with 90k when I bought it. I drove it for another 5 years, put another 75k on it and spent less than £500 in that time in repairs.

cheers for your opinions lads. what im scared of is if its not what it appears, i dunno if some of these vans just sit about when most get really used as youd expect.does it look a 30k miler to you boys?

and dyou reck those stickers will peel off easily? its for sale for 5k . i guess what im hoping is if any of you lads see a real red flag ,its been hossed up motorways not sitting in a depot dont you realize that sort of thing , and can tell me dont bother or vice versa . i just paid ten quid for one of those hpi check comes back ok tho not much info on it as its not had an mot so no mileage record.

As Conor said 100k cruising in top gear is less damaging than 30k in town. Maybe a rep keeping the same car? And certainly less damaging than bouncing around half built road works with possibly a variety of different drivers?
Check underside and suspension carefully. Has it got tow hitch, or signs of one taken off?
Bargain or dog? Own it a year then you’ll have a good idea, until then you’re guessing!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

TheUncaringCowboy:

corij:

As this member has said, check thse areas as they are a very good indicator as is the under bonnet parts, hoses / header tank etc & pull the dipstick to check oil colour.
Exterior front paint should be in good condition at that milage with very few stone chips.

Service history convincing? ie time and mileages stamped about right for the presumably one owner.
You can or could buy stamped up SH at one time from the usual auction site, but making the times and mileages convincing is another thing.
If no SH at all available then be very suspicious.

As said at 30k there should be little in the way of stone chips to the bonnet, probably still on its original set of tyres, so if you find 4 x unheard of chinese crap fitted!!, also look at the brake discs, whilst they might look rusty around the edges they should be only half worn at worse case, though its possible (but unlikely) that the front discs were replaced if the pads needed doing on the last service, rears should be original.

Other than that as said go by steering wheel gearstick and switch wear, pedal rubbers will get a pounding from workboots but they should not be worn through yet.
Its a PSA Diesel so the oil will be black as hell, and the same colour again within two minutes of an oil change, if the oil stinks but is supposed to have been changed last week…

Scruffy is subjective, some lorries look 3 years old by 6 months, others which are looked after look 6 months old at 3 years, depends on how they get looked after but also what sort of work they are on, not much different for any work vehicle.
A pro valet and couple of hours by a trade smart repairer mighty be making those high milers appear tidy for the camera, maybe the low miler seller isn’t tarting his wares up, you won’t know till you look at a few and compare.

By the way, if this is the 1.6 Diesel, it really needs an oil and filter change every year or 10k maximum whichever comes first, take no notice of what the service regime is supposed to be, these things will bite you on the arse if neglected.

Only problem cars vans get to 3 years old then need 1st mot so not really able to check.past mot for advisories etc. Maybe try ask if can have a drive round the block in it get a feel what it’s like. What’s your plan what you get it.

A decent scanner can read ecu and get true mileage so for piece of mind get it done after buying it, any discrepancies you can sling it back to dealer .

Ask them to MOT it before the sale,would of thought they would do anyway…they just don’t until it’s sold so it’s not sitting being unused.
If they won’t MOT it then 100% walk away because for the sake of £35/£40 they are willing to lose a sale so there must be an issue with it.

corij:
and dyou reck those stickers will peel off easily? its for sale for 5k . i guess what im hoping is if any of you lads see a real red flag ,its been hossed up motorways not sitting in a depot dont you realize that sort of thing , and can tell me dont bother or vice versa . i just paid ten quid for one of those hpi check comes back ok tho not much info on it as its not had an mot so no mileage record.

The best way we have found to get them off is to try and heat up the whole panel, with a space heater if possible, until it is hot to the touch and the sticker glue is soft. You can then normally pull them off in one go. They will leave a residue of glue that will need panel wipe and lots of rags. A quick rub down with T-cut or one of the other similar products should bring it up OK. Some people say they have successfully done it with a steamer but never tried that. You can do it with a heat gun but it takes ages and and you have to be careful not to overheat / burn the van paint.

Milage correction is big business on motors not yet mot’d or three years old so be aware … ,You could pay a correction firm to check if it has been altered .Peace of mind etc …

manski:

corij:

The best way we have found to get them off is to try and heat up the whole panel, with a space heater if possible, until it is hot to the touch and the sticker glue is soft. You can then normally pull them off in one go. They will leave a residue of glue that will need panel wipe and lots of rags. A quick rub down with T-cut or one of the other similar products should bring it up OK. Some people say they have successfully done it with a steamer but never tried that. You can do it with a heat gun but it takes ages and and you have to be careful not to overheat / burn the van paint.

Wallpaper steamer/stripper is the mutts nuts for remove vinyl graphics with zero damage.

There’s an App on the Google play store called Vehicle Smart. Enter a reg and it will tell you quite a lot about the car/van.

Looks like a dog to me.
Walk away

Beetlejuice:
Milage correction is big business on motors not yet mot’d or three years old so be aware … ,You could pay a correction firm to check if it has been altered .Peace of mind etc …

iv taken in the really useful advice on this thread and will be looking for the signs of a well worked hack versus depot runaround type.i spose logic says its a faker ,i mean it was equipped for roadworks use so why didnt it do the typical miles

corij:

Beetlejuice:

iv taken in the really useful advice on this thread and will be looking for the signs of a well worked hack versus depot runaround type.i spose logic says its a faker ,i mean it was equipped for roadworks use so why didnt it do the typical miles

It could possibly be the floating van everyone used while there’s are mot’d or serviced .None washed left in a corner dirty etc ,It is not unusual for large firms to have a spare .But in my opinion get it checked by a firm who can check the dash has not been played with .
If it is genuine you will want all the major service work done on it in any case …
Clocks get corrected with a simple obd type lead and a laptop …