License point 12 An over

Talking to a driver last week he had 15 points on his license, was surprised how many others were on 12 and above after speaking about it last week…

How many of you on here are at 12 and above ? How does it work with courts etc ?

Its quite simple, you collect the points, hit 12 and after that each time in court you tell them if you loose your licence it will be the end of the world and a decline that leaves you addicted to drugs and blowing truckers in laybys.

Any so called professional driver who accumulates 12 points does not deserve to keep their licence.
Courts are far too soft. Perfect excuse to get these idiots off our roads in my opinion.

Mate of mine got 9 points, he got his P45 when his employer found out. Got another job, thought he was OK until they turned round and said their insurance company wouldn’t cover him. Now realises he won’t be driving a truck for another couple of years until the next three are due to drop off as even agencies won’t take him on.

The points system is a bit of a joke, there appears to be plenty of car drivers with more than 30 points on their licence and some with over 60 points and they’re still able to drive.

Sent from my mobile.

Often more than one offence is recorded at the same time and under the top up rules only the highest of those is counted towards the 12 although they all get put on the licence

Example - get stopped for 4 bald tyres @ 3 points each = 12 points - only 3 points count towards top up

Never had one!!! #lucky.

nomiS36:
Never had one!!! #lucky.

#temptingfate

Over here we have the usual points on your licence and the CSA points which are given to CDL drivers only, they are given out by DOT only, I have never had points on my licence in the 48 years of driving, I did get 12 CSA points for having a bolt in a drive tyre, I pleaded not guilty to the ticket because it was ridiculous, I could have driven over the thing when I drove into the inspection site and the court tossed the charges out but even though it was thrown out I still had the 12 CSA points for 3 years, that is what I call unfair, not guilty but once the points are issued they stay.

mrginge:
Its quite simple, you collect the points, hit 12 and after that each time in court you tell them if you loose your licence it will be the end of the world and a decline that leaves you addicted to drugs and blowing truckers in laybys.

Thats not so bad…is it?..at least earnings will be higher… :grimacing:

jakethesnake:
Any so called professional driver who accumulates 12 points does not deserve to keep their licence.
Courts are far too soft. Perfect excuse to get these idiots off our roads in my opinion.

Calm Down… :imp: :imp:

jakethesnake:
Any so called professional driver who accumulates 12 points does not deserve to keep their licence. Courts are far too soft.

Any driver who accumulates 12 points should receive an instant 12 month ban. There’s no reason to go over the limit, you knew what it was when you started out with a clean licence.

tachograph:
The points system is a bit of a joke, there appears to be plenty of car drivers with more than 30 points on their licence and some with over 60 points and they’re still able to drive.

My brother-in-law has 22 on his licence and he treats points as just part of his job. He does over 40k miles a year and just hands the fine to the company who are happy to pay it.

then you BIL is a fool.

my last van went back to the lease company with 52k on the clock, at 11 months old. all miles done by me… guess what? i have a clean licence.

Stanley Knife:

tachograph:

My brother-in-law has 22 on his licence and he treats points as just part of his job. He does over 40k miles a year and just hands the fine to the company who are happy to pay it.

That’s alright until a magistrate decides enough is enough and takes his licence off him.

Sent from my mobile.

Stanley Knife:
My brother-in-law has 22 on his licence and he treats points as just part of his job

He sounds like a ■■■■ and exactly the sort of person the point system was set up for in the first place. And his company don’t sound much better.

Points are easily racked up, four speed cameras and banned? Not on, circumstances like road conditions/ traffic density ect/ time of ‘offence’ ect should all be taken into account. No doubt the ‘speed kills’ (which it doesnt) brigade will disagree though :unamused:

The-Snowman:

Stanley Knife:
My brother-in-law has 22 on his licence and he treats points as just part of his job

He sounds like a ■■■■ and exactly the sort of person the point system was set up for in the first place. And his company don’t sound much better.

Couldn’t agree more - but the points system obviously fails miserably as he has been over 12 points now for at least three years that I know of. His company are quite happy to pay the fines to keep him and he is quite happy to work as he does to satisfy the company. They pay him very well, the expenses are endless and the car goes back to the lease company after three years in the state it’s in - knackered.

As to whether he’s a fool both he and the company know how to play the system and have done for years. I know he has been in front of the magistrates twice in the past three years, played the if I lose my licence I lose my job scenario and walked out both times laughing at the very system he abuses.

Don’t blame him and the company, blame the completely inept system that has so many loopholes in it it’s laughable.

mrginge:

You’re up against some stiff competition, looking at the sheer number of lickcocks already in this business, nowadays. :stuck_out_tongue: