Thinking of giving up the search

Hello all,

As the title says it all, been looking for class 1 work nearly 2 years now and still no luck, everywhere I turn up gets told no experience no job all due to insurance, apparently… Luckily I have a warehouse job to pay bills, just about, but feel so annoyed at lack of opportunity to set foot in haulage industry. So my question is how long would you keep trying?

Thanks in advance

What area ?

ProudNewbie:
Hello all,

As the title says it all, been looking for class 1 work nearly 2 years now and still no luck, everywhere I turn up gets told no experience no job all due to insurance, apparently… Luckily I have a warehouse job to pay bills, just about, but feel so annoyed at lack of opportunity to set foot in haulage industry. So my question is how long would you keep trying?

Thanks in advance

Why not take a pick up truck or 7.5 tonner job with a varied fleet firm ,once it’s remembered that you have a class 1 you will be first in line for that one off delivery that the regular driver can’t do then it’s your chance to prove your self .

Join as many agency as you can. I had similar proble. When I passed my class 2 . Manged odd day here and there rest was transit van driving. But eventually after a year or so they got me regular c2 work . Stick with it and just apply even if job sounds rubbish and low paid to start with

Punchy Dan:

ProudNewbie:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance

Why not take a pick up truck or 7.5 tonner job with a varied fleet firm ,once it’s remembered that you have a class 1 you will be first in line for that one off delivery that the regular driver can’t do then it’s your chance to prove your self .

^^^
This
Good advice and it’ll work…

Beetlejuice:
What area ?

Bradford

Not really giving enough information to help.

Honestly though if you have been looking for two years without success I think there must be something your not telling us.

Are you only willing to do certain jobs?
Do you want to keep your warehouse job and only do class one work when it suits you?
Have no car so job has to be within walking distance?
How clean in your licence?
Are you not willing to do Class 2 work?

Regardless what it is we can’t help you unless you give us more information.

Think you need to say how far you’re willing to travel and if there is any work you don’t want to do.

The more info you give us, the better people can help you

Never give up mate, get your cv sent to as many companies as possible depending obviously on your circumstances with travelling etc but take them round to the companies yourself do not post them, may take a bit of time but says a lot that you have made an effort to take it in personally which goes a long way.

I have to admit I have only been driving Class 1 for just over 3 months so definitely class myself as a newbie and have a lot to learn but I was very fortunate as I have a mate and his dad work for a company and they put a word in for me, as it goes the transport manager was a bloke I worked with years ago so it worked out well, I started off on Class 2 for a week then put into a Class 1 which felt amazing.

Stick with it, keep positive and your break will come

Sorry guys, as for more information, I live in Bradford, have had my class one 2 years in June, clean licence, own transport, willing to commute a fair bit and take on any driving role,

have posted numerous cv’s to all local firms as well as further afield, personally dropped a few off but don’t hear anything back. I can honestly say I have no idea where I’m going wrong? They take one look at me and I can tell from facial expressions what will come out… Or not…

Working in the warehouse gives me a chance to chat to a lot of drivers who tell me I should play the “race” card as one driver bluntly told me and I quote “there’s not many of your people in the industry” but tbh I want a driving job because I have a passion for it and NOT because of who I am or my skin colour.

Have you done any cat C work ?

If not you should be looking for cat C or cat C+E or cat C1 work not just cat C+E work.

As far as the race card is concerned, if I was a TM and you tried that crap with me you’d be out the door in the blink of an eye, the person who suggested that was a fool.

Try to get some agency work for your days off and be prepared to do any class of work, it will get you some experience which in turn will help you to eventually get what you want.

Good luck.

Sent from my mobile.

tachograph:
Have you done any cat C work ?

If not you should be looking for cat C or cat C+E or cat C1 work not just cat C+E work.

As far as the race card is concerned, if I was a TM and you tried that crap with me you’d be out the door in the blink of an eye, the person who suggested that was a fool.

Try to get some agency work for your days off and be prepared to do any class of work, it will get you some experience which in turn will help you to eventually get what you want.

Good luck.

Sent from my mobile.

Exactly my thoughts on the race front, as for driving work as mentioned earlier I’m willing to drive any class as every bit will build up my experience. Thanks for your thoughts mate

Turners have got class one vacancies in Castleford. They will train you in tanker operations. www.turners-distribution.com

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

ProudNewbie:

Beetlejuice:
What area ?

Bradford

Was talking to a Redhead driver few weeks back at a drop. He’d just passed his class 1 a few weeks prior and they’d given him a go.

Could also try Montgomery Distribution. They’ve a depot just off M621 in Leeds.

ProudNewbie:

Beetlejuice:
What area ?

Bradford

You live in Bradford and you’ve been unable to get any class 1 work for 2 years? You’re either on wind up or you’re not trying very hard. Pretty much every haulage company within a 25 mile radius is screaming for class 1 drivers as well the hundreds of agencies in the area that don’t care about a lack of experience when they have clients needing drivers yesterday. Dropping CVs in does nothing. Get on the agency circuit and you’ll have work coming out of your ears.

adam277:
Honestly though if you have been looking for two years without success I think there must be something your not telling us.

In the whole of West Yorkshire you can walk into any of the dead beat, low wage, ■■■■ poor general haulage companies you choose. Skin colour and IQ is irrelevant, all you need is a licence and a pulse.

Longs of Leeds.
Shipley transport.
Tom Moorhouse.
Joda freight.
All advertising this week on indeed.

Just keep looking and keep trying mate. Some firms are renowned for taking on new drivers and will definitely give you a chance. You’re willing to commute and have your own transport which is a good thing. Depending on what type of work you’re looking for, you could go tramping and only have to make the journey to and from the depo once a week, so you could be looking even further afield.

As a new-ish pass myself (and not being very old either) I’ve just taken a job at Stobarts and I did struggle a little bit before applying there. Use the search function on this forum and you should see people suggesting firms that will take on new passes and apply to those ones. Also like others have suggested agencies should be able to help you out.

With all due respect if you have been looking for two years in West Yorkshire and not found anything there is something wrong. Key is being flexible with shifts and the work you are willing to do.

There are so many companies in that area big and small that 2 year experience is well out the window. Get 3 months on your card and you will be ‘in demand’.

The company mentioned above in Castleford, will have you out tomorrow, providing you can drive forward in a straight line. The problem with West Yorkshire is the pay with a few exceptions is generally poor and Turners must be about the lowest

ProudNewbie:
Working in the warehouse gives me a chance to chat to a lot of drivers who tell me I should play the “race” card as one driver bluntly told me and I quote “there’s not many of your people in the industry” but tbh I want a driving job because I have a passion for it and NOT because of who I am or my skin colour.

The fact that you’ve even entertained the idea of playing the race card (suggested to you by others or not) leaves me with only one thought.
Perhaps you should stick to working in your warehouse sir.