Over speeds and roadside fines

Can someone explain ,I have no digi card and no experience of using digi ,however talking to a driver today and looking at his down loaded Rha analysts things it shows over speeds and suggests possible £100 penalty ,so does that mean that these lorries that pass me in excess of a constant 90 ks could possibly be fined at a road side check ? Or are they the ones with the k factor set wrong to cover the speed ?

Overspeed isn’t speeding,our trucks were set at 52mph so if we went over 54mph it would flash up as an overspeed because you are going over the speed the trucks set to…but still well within the speed limit for the motorway.

As far as I know it’s only an “offence” if it goes over 30 seconds constant overspeed,also not sure how much over it needs to be,sorry can’t be more help.
And it’s only an overspeed if its over 60mph which is the speed limit for trucks

xichrisxi:
Overspeed isn’t speeding,our trucks were set at 52mph so if we went over 54mph it would flash up as an overspeed because you are going over the speed the trucks set to…

Simple as that cheers ,why does the Rha report form say about £100 ? Have I miss read it ?

Punchy Dan:

xichrisxi:
Overspeed isn’t speeding,our trucks were set at 52mph so if we went over 54mph it would flash up as an overspeed because you are going over the speed the trucks set to…

Simple as that cheers ,why does the Rha report form say about £100 ? Have I miss read it ?

Perhaps because it would be an offence in mainland Europe? But no, it’s not an offence in the UK to travel downhill at 59mph for any distance if the speed limit is 60mph.

So you can’t get fined other than obviously showing over such as 90ks or even 60 mph for long periods of time will attract some questions .

Punchy Dan:
So you can’t get fined other than obviously showing over such as 90ks or even 60 mph for long periods of time will attract some questions .

Have got to be over 60mph for a good while to get done,as Chris said it only comes up as overspeed if its over what the trucks set at not what the speed limit for the trucks is.

Harry Monk:

Punchy Dan:

xichrisxi:

Perhaps because it would be an offence in mainland Europe? But no, it’s not an offence in the UK to travel downhill at 59mph for any distance if the speed limit is 60mph.

Thanks ,just trying to move with the times :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

Harry Monk:

Punchy Dan:

xichrisxi:

Thanks ,just trying to move with the times [emoji38]

Just remember that if you work for a firm that has a fuel bonus in place.And uses the microlese system or something like that.Then overspeeds will go against your score.But you get around 30 secs to slow it back down.Before it registers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I dont think Dan has Microlese in his Atkinson :laughing:

30 seconds to slow it back down, but no retarder/engine brake with which to do it!

chaversdad:
I dont think Dan has Microlese in his Atkinson :laughing:

Foden :wink:

Punchy Dan:

chaversdad:
I dont think Dan has Microlese in his Atkinson [emoji38]

Foden :wink:

Oh yeah.Definately no need to worry then.lol.Let her roll in that case.

Never had a word said about overspeeds from DVSA got pulled last Thursday morning on the A5 at Lichfield probably had at least 10 overspeeds in the previous 24 hours and no mention made at all retarder set to 97kph. 15 minutes in the weighbridge and back on my way all clean it just seems to be a company policy thing and another thing to for the pointy shoe wearers to hold over drivers.

daftvader:
Just remember that if you work for a firm that has a fuel bonus in place.And uses the microlese system or something like that.Then overspeeds will go against your score.

Depends on the company. I don’t give a toss about getting overspeeds, its not affecting my Microlise score or if it is it isn’t enough to be worrying about. A company can choose what parameters they want to include in creating the score. Mine used to use time spent outside the green band and we got penalised to hell from it until they realised as they were automatic gearboxes we don’t have much control over it so they removed that portion.

Mazzer2:
Never had a word said about overspeeds from DVSA got pulled last Thursday morning on the A5 at Lichfield probably had at least 10 overspeeds in the previous 24 hours and no mention made at all retarder set to 97kph. 15 minutes in the weighbridge and back on my way all clean it just seems to be a company policy thing and another thing to for the pointy shoe wearers to hold over drivers.

The key is not to clear the overspeed warning! I let trucks go up to 70 on pretty much any decent downhill section where I deem it safe to do so (traffic/weight of load etc) and once that first overspeed flag comes up I just leave it there until I have to clear it to change the tacho mode for a break. Never had any bother from the companies that I drive for in terms of physical driving infringements from their tacho analysis software, but if they or DVSA look close enough they can see the speeds you’ve been doing on Microlise and such. I was cacking it a bit when I last got stopped by DVSA but when I asked him about the overspeeds he couldn’t have cared less and said they didn’t bother with them unless the speed was being maintained for a long period (to suggest that the limiter wasn’t working). He wasn’t in the least bit interested that I’d been going 70 past The Little House on the Prairie only 10 minutes prior. :astonished:

I did try bluffing one company I’d been working for down in Northampton as they pulled me up for a couple of “coasting events” from the Microlise. Being the pro trucker that I am I’d turned the gear selector into neutral a couple of times to build up enough speed down a hill to get past a couple of trucks driving like bell ends, on and off the gas all the time. When questioned I nonchalantly told them it was nothing to do with me and must have been the truck’s eco-roll function dropping it into neutral :smiley: . I thought I’d got away with it until some party-pooping driver of their own piped up that the MANs don’t have eco-roll and that I was full of ■■■■ :unamused: . I had the last laugh though when the very next night he took at 14’8 trailer under the Althorpe bridge on the 428 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Mazzer2:

^^^
this
Just another excercise for company policy jobsworths.
My co. is PPL not by the hour (hourly is optional but very few takers) and all their trucks are set at 100kph as is mine. The drivers know the score and its up to them if they want to keep on the limiter but overspeeds as such have never been a problem…

Conor:

daftvader:
Just remember that if you work for a firm that has a fuel bonus in place.And uses the microlese system or something like that.Then overspeeds will go against your score.

Depends on the company. I don’t give a toss about getting overspeeds, its not affecting my Microlise score or if it is it isn’t enough to be worrying about. A company can choose what parameters they want to include in creating the score. Mine used to use time spent outside the green band and we got penalised to hell from it until they realised as they were automatic gearboxes we don’t have much control over it so they removed that portion.

Fair enough.But its worth a bit of money at the end of the month.And its not really any great hardship to keep it below the threshold.I agree its all bullshine though.

I remember working for bosses who sacked you for driving too slow and taking too long on a job [emoji14][emoji12]

But seriously if you are being monitored by Microlise but still using the brakes needlessly sort of defeats the object of it all!

Our lot used to admonish us for overspeeds at our monthly chats but have seen the light. You’re only “overspeeding” according to those ■■■■■■■ dicks at microlise. It’s FREE energy and you’re reducing pollution when you let it run down the hill and perfectly legal up to 60mph!