N R Evans Amesbury (Home Bargains)

I’m currently doing Class 1 Multi-Drop work for Gregory Distribution via their Palletline franchise. As I’m getting fed up with being sent to rubbish locations and, what seems like, an open ended policy with regard to hours worked, I thought that I’d give N R Evans at Amesbury a go. Being of advancing years, I haven’t really got any need to work full-time hours anymore, so when I applied, I asked for 3 fixed days per week, which they’ve agreed to. Just wondered if anyone on here could give me the heads up with regard to daily hours, job content, vehicles, shift times etc., and anything else that might be important to know, before I jump ship. Cheers.

Hard graft that Home and Bargains work.No offence but it’s defo for younger fellas!

No offence taken. I’m 54 by the way!! :smiley:

Gregorys have a pay rise in May, nearly 3 %, the problem with pallet delivery on multi drop to ridiculous locations is due to the ignorance of the customer purchasing the goods on line for a cheap price.
With paying a cheap price, they expect a top rate premium service, this leads to problems for the driver who has to deal with it.
For example Mr Smith orders five pallets of stone slabs that weigh 700 kgs per pallet, the delivery is only drop on the kerb and go.
Mr Smith has a house on a steep hill, his drive way has a slope, and the drive way is cobbled or broken stones, but he insists that the driver must drag the pallets to his garage over rough terrain with a pump truck, which is not happening .
The same over weight goods are compost, horse food pellets, slabs, stones, bricks, tiles, timber, and turf.
Customers expect pallets of turf to be dragged over their lawn as do not want them left on the road all night .

You ring the customer who will lie and say they get big lorries down the lane all the time, the milk tanker comes down daily .
You get back to the yard with broken mirrors, torn curtains and enough mud as it looks like you have done two tours of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Steffan seems happy enough working for them. youtube.com/channel/UCH8Y1l … yJA/videos

rearaxle:
Steffan seems happy enough working for them. youtube.com/channel/UCH8Y1l … yJA/videos

He works out of Branston depot next to pallet force. Which apparently is shutting soon as nft want them shut down. At least that’s what I was told from a mate that is still there he’s looking forward to his redundancy… They’re not doing as much home bargains any more gba seem to be doing more and more. But that being said amesbury transport is or was wholly nr Evans run by roger and is quite a decent gig. Don’t know if that will be shutting or not

halewood:
Hard graft that Home and Bargains work.No offence but it’s defo for younger fellas!

Hard graft you say, usually best left to the oldies then who can cope :wink: :laughing:

Juddian:

halewood:

Hard graft you say, usually best left to the oldies then who can cope :wink: :laughing:

:smiley:
Yep. Those who get on with it, rather than just* moan about it.

*We`ll moan about it too, but only after doing it!

Franglais:

Juddian:

halewood:

:smiley:
Yep. Those who get on with it, rather than just* moan about it.

*We`ll moan about it too, but only after doing it!

And we usually get given it because we just go and get on with it, not stamp our little feet in a song and dance, or as is the current fashion in avoiding work with some of the younger staff, the clarion call of ‘‘Child Care’’ :unamused: i kid you not :neutral_face:

N R Evans at home bargains Amesbury is not hard work I am 59 been at Amesbury home bargains with N R Evans for almost 3 years now 5 days on 3 days off
pick a start time slot that suits you no nights out home every day not bad at all
last week my 5 days on was 7 double deck trailers to ten shops so two shops a day
cage delivery’s all on wheels so no pump trucks all close to the shop door
you don’t unload empty’s when you return park it on a bay and finish
moneys ok not the best but ok the new young drivers leave to chase the big money
my days of living away all week are over I hope so this is just right
there was a lot of problems to start with but like any new set up its going to happen
the only problem I have found is always short of people and some just cant leave the low bridges alone

GBA also run out of Amesbury at home bargains mainly the very long runs
but Amesbury will not be shutting down
home bargains may at some point get rid of N R Evens and run it them selves or get another company in but all that will mean is we get a new hi viz with a different name on it

Wigo91:

rearaxle:

He works out of Branston depot next to pallet force. Which apparently is shutting soon as nft want them shut down. At least that’s what I was told from a mate that is still there he’s looking forward to his redundancy… They’re not doing as much home bargains any more gba seem to be doing more and more. But that being said amesbury transport is or was wholly nr Evans run by roger and is quite a decent gig. Don’t know if that will be shutting or not

GBA also run out of Amesbury but mainly on the very long runs home bargain will not be shutting down but at some point home bargains may get rid of N R Even ( Ntl ) and do it them selves or get another company in but all that will mean is we get a new HI VIZ with a new name on it

toby1234abc:
Gregorys have a pay rise in May, nearly 3 %, the problem with pallet delivery on multi drop to ridiculous locations is due to the ignorance of the customer purchasing the goods on line for a cheap price.
With paying a cheap price, they expect a top rate premium service, this leads to problems for the driver who has to deal with it.
For example Mr Smith orders five pallets of stone slabs that weigh 700 kgs per pallet, the delivery is only drop on the kerb and go.
Mr Smith has a house on a steep hill, his drive way has a slope, and the drive way is cobbled or broken stones, but he insists that the driver must drag the pallets to his garage over rough terrain with a pump truck, which is not happening .
The same over weight goods are compost, horse food pellets, slabs, stones, bricks, tiles, timber, and turf.
Customers expect pallets of turf to be dragged over their lawn as do not want them left on the road all night .

You ring the customer who will lie and say they get big lorries down the lane all the time, the milk tanker comes down daily .
You get back to the yard with broken mirrors, torn curtains and enough mud as it looks like you have done two tours of Iraq and Afghanistan.

I spent a few years on Palletforce in the West Midlands. While it is certainly true that some (a few) customers buy heavy stuff (we used to do a lot of bricks and also rubber compound for play areas) and are astonished when they are delivered by one 70yo beardy bloke with nothing but a pallet truck and a tail lift.

I very rarely met one who did not accept that this was the price they pay for a cheap online purchase. If they did kick up, I usually found that the offer to take it back to the depot for collection at their own cost calmed them down. I always tried my best to help; “I’ll go away and come back later when you have some more men”, or if it was bags or boxes, an offer to pass then down if they carried them away. It was amazing how often, when faced with carting a tonne or more of bags, they managed to whistle up some more labour.

I used to average around £20 a week in tips too.

toby1234abc:

+1
Doing multi-drop myself, you sir, have pretty much nailed it with that brief description - and for anyone reading who wants to know how it is, this ^^ is basically your answer.
Jon

Santa:

toby1234abc:

I spent a few years on Palletforce in the West Midlands. While it is certainly true that some (a few) customers buy heavy stuff (we used to do a lot of bricks and also rubber compound for play areas) and are astonished when they are delivered by one 70yo beardy bloke with nothing but a pallet truck and a tail lift.

I very rarely met one who did not accept that this was the price they pay for a cheap online purchase. If they did kick up, I usually found that the offer to take it back to the depot for collection at their own cost calmed them down. I always tried my best to help; “I’ll go away and come back later when you have some more men”, or if it was bags or boxes, an offer to pass then down if they carried them away. It was amazing how often, when faced with carting a tonne or more of bags, they managed to whistle up some more labour.

I used to average around £20 a week in tips too.

Santa… again, great info for any new starters to multi-drop.
It’s like any job - once you get going and into it, you learn the best way to deal with situations. And, if you are slightly switched on, that usually involves doing most of the work with what you say and how you say it.
I use exactly the same ‘tactics’ to suggest ways that are going to be easiest all round to deliver whatever goods it might be.
And, funnily enough, the people who are the most accommodating and willing to help more often than not, get more help than those who just stand there stamping their feet and mouthing off… which is when we resort to the the 2 golden words… ‘Kerbside delivery’ :smiley:
Jon